Celtic hunt gone bad but, some WWII stuff happened...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to work this Thanksgiving Day. Not a problem as my German family did not have the holiday and the kids were in school. I did have a nice lunch with our American soldiers, ate turkey, lobster, shrimp and steamship round and I can’t believe I ate the whole thing, I’m still stuffed with no desire for dinner! We are setting up for a big military exercise, it happens to be in serious Celtic country, a very beautiful area that I turned down over 20 years ago. Thought I would get some prime time on some fields and a chance at Celtic gold coins today but it didn’t happen. I did do some detecting on the military post, explored some WWII areas and still had a good time even though the Celtic hunt was out due to delivery time changes. My finds for the day was about $0.70 in American change, 2 toy cars and a hand full of shot brass cartridges from different periods of WWII to modern American. No pictures of the finds but, here is some of the interesting things I saw today. First pic is of an exploded WWII German bunker, must have taken a serious explosion to blow this thick concrete bunker.
23Nov06bunkfar.jpg

A closer look at the thick corner wall and the 4’ thick roof.
23Nov06bunkclose.jpg

Near the middle of the collapsed concrete roof I found this mangled mess of metal underneath, looks like the remnants of a FLAK gun turret for anti aircraft.
23Nov06bunkin.jpg

This is a Russian T54 tank, maximum range of about 1300 meters. Compared to the American M1 Abrams tank of about 4000 meters of maximum effective range, you could safely sleep at night during the Russian cold war as they had no chance even though they outnumbered our tanks something like three to one! Good thing the Russians never struck against us as we would own Russia and your taxes would have gone up to pay for it.
23Nov06T54.jpg

Here’s a Russian BMP, has some armament effective to 1300 meters and could carry 11 or so troopies. Not very effective against American technology.
23Nov06bmp.jpg

And this is a mock up American vehicle only meant to do simulations on the battle field, it is a simulated bad guy to Americans. The wimpy tube of a cannon actually fires a laser beam and not a round. HH, Mike
23Nov06113mock.jpg

Upvote 0

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
WOW thats some cool stuff! Most of the bunkers around my area are just mounds of dirt. The French were really paranoid so they made sure the germans could never use them again.. even going as far as taking away the concrete. I hope you find a lot of stuff around there :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about the field trip Mike....But at least you got out.Thank's for sharing the pic's....Pretty cool stuff!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pics...bet there are some great WWII goodies in that ground!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Mike,

Sorry you didn't get to hunt what you wanted to hunt. Nice pics you have made to share. LoL I was trying to forget that place.

Do you get the American holidays or the German holidays, or both?

I really never checked it out very well, but I could swear the Germans had a holiday for about every saint imaginable. LoL

Anyways, take care bro. Lots of bad accidents as I am sure you already know during training exercises at times.

Today you posted the most meager finds that I have ever seen you find, so next time will be a make up. Atleast I will keep my fingers crossed that you have one heck of a hunt next time you get a chance to do some serious hunting in a spot you have been looking forward to checking.

Postalrevnant

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, thanks for the interesting story and tour. I know you will get more opportunity's soon. Thanks again and take care. Tsgman

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Hi, Mikeб

I would not be too self-confident - do not relax yet, we have another couple of models :) LOL
What do you think about T-90S (4000m effective range).

t90_1.jpg

Glad to hear that you got out- unlike me - I am "big papa" now_ my wife is away for 2 weeks, so I will hardly have any possibility this time.

HH Sand

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy late ThanksGiving Mike,Gerat pics . I hope you get to do some more digging soon. :)

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Surfing the net, I found by chance the best tank of the world. The word written on it is "BEER" :)

tank_pivo_183_403.jpg

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments all, you too Sand! Love the beer tank and the Russians have developed their weaponry over the years, I don't think the Americans have a beer tank, LOL! HH, Mike

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Great photos and story Mike. Hope your holiday and family
are the best they can be, bless you all. Good luck my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pics Mike - love the "old" tanks!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread