Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is probably MORE important to this conversation, it's WHERE you are digging. Hunting a CW campsite is a world away from hunting a house site or a park.

I disagree. I dig and remove all the big iron from each and every house site and plantation site I dig. Not only has it been an issue of deep coins reading as iron in the past--especially in plowed fields--but it is also a HUGE issue of masking. If your detector can't detect a half dime under an axe head, you should be clearing iron as you go.

If you look at my last post (the CS pelican), most of those targets came out of holes along with big iron--and I got the iron signal first, removed the iron, and found the non-ferrous target. As we work this field out more and more, that's what we're digging now. Even the pelican button had an iron spot on it where it was up against something ferrous. It's counter-intuitive, but the straight and honest truth is this: The more iron your site has, the more important it is that you clear the iron in order to be able to hear the good stuff. Do some air tests with an axe head and a coin, then place a coin under three rusty nails. You might be shocked. Keep in mind, those nails won't necessarily be right on a coin. They might be in the detector's "field of view" either an inch or two above or below the coin in the ground. Now, I don't clear nails. But any iron chunk larger than a pingpong ball gets removed. I know it's a lot of work, which is why you should do it as you go, rather than all at the end. The proof is in the pudding. Take a look at my finds, year after year. Clear the iron, or leave the finds behind.

Regards,

Buck

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh But in that part of the country it could have been A CW rifle, cannon projectile, or any other number of things. I was looking a place in Resaca, Ga.
On private property(with permission), Got a big Iron signal, Had already dug several pieces of gas pipe,So I told myself nope not gonna dig any more
of that crap! A friend of mine came in behind me and dug up a rifle barrel all the way back to the firing mech. So now I dig it all, becouse you just never know

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually base it off the site. If I'm pulling old stuff, and I get a big iron hit, I'll dig it. Same with iffy signals. Might as well clean them out and for the couple minutes it takes to dig out a target, it might be worth it! If it's a quiet area I'll dig iron just to see if there may be a site nearby.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha Yea I dug a big "iron" sound hoping it might be cache. As it turned out after much digging, I had found the neighbors sewer pipe.
Not quite the cache of treasure I had been hoping for though :).

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha Yea I dug a big "iron" sound hoping it might be cache. As it turned out after much digging, I had found the neighbors sewer pipe.
Not quite the cache of treasure I had been hoping for though :).

Of course, you sawed into it to make sure there weren't any gold coins in there? :laughing7:

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you never know.......could be a colonial tool.....I dig them because it's fun......HH

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course, you sawed into it to make sure there weren't any gold coins in there? :laughing7:

Lol yea had to be sure :laughing7:
Hey whats a perfectly good Moro bar doing in this cache, .. Oh no wait... :goldbar:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread