Newbie Here! SILVER,Indian Head,Some misc relics! Please read and respond for a newb!

HugeSeng

Sep 15, 2012
southwest va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! My name is John and im 16 years old and I live in the southweat VA region. :hello: !!! My metal detector may not be fancy and may of only cost 200$ but I still enjoy the hobby even if I might only find one relic shallow enough to pick up. lol. So today is the only day ive ever had worth posting and I figured id signup and post insted of just reading everyone elses posts :P. Went to a home owned by my sister today. Was built in 1930 and is in a neighborhood of many older homes. On the second hole I found a 1941 S mercury dime!!!!!! Im so excited. My first ever silver coin! I about had a heart attack. May not be much to some people but it means a ton to me. Also found a cool old key that says Chicago Key Co. chicago il and has a serial number,57 wheatie, and the usual junk. Also hunted behind my grandmothers. There used to be a 1800s home on the property but mygrandfather had moved tons of dirt so you just find relics scattered everywhere. Found a toasted 1800s indian. cant make out a date but I think I see a 18. also found 2 brass pieces that remind me of something youd find on a saddle. maybe someone can give me some info on these. found a shoe lace ring, harmonica reed,and a really awesome fish,frog gigger? idk what it is! but it was definately meant to stick in something and not come out because it is barbed at the top. Found it in a dry creekbed by the house. It was under a rock so I think it protected it from extreme corrosion like many other pieces of iron ive found in this area. maybe one of you may be able to tell me some more info on this thing. give some opinions. thanks yall! please respond for a newb! id appreciate it! :D

Attachments

• merc back.jpg
    merc back.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 132
  • merc front.jpg
    merc front.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 114
  • misc junk relics.jpg
    misc junk relics.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 130
  • indian head.jpg
    indian head.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 143
  • pitchfork.jpg
    pitchfork.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 112
  • relics in case.jpg
    relics in case.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Upvote 2

tonyc10k

Sep 7, 2012
Georgetown ky
Detector(s) used
Minelabs equinox 800, whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet.
nice finds. i love the merc dime and the key is kinda cool looking,. keep at the old home site you will find something good sooner or later. ive been clearing the trash off a old home site that burned down and ive moved about 500lbs of iron junk so far. not one single good item recovered :( but i know its all there.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish I could help you with your unidentified finds, but I can tell you well done! You've got some great finds for a beginner.

Welcome to the always interesting world of metal detecting, and congratulations on hitting some silver so quickly!

All the best,

Lanny

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have some cool stuff there, the merc is nice. Looks like you have a good spot to hunt so just keep going.
It's not the cost of your MD but what you find. And you are doing well. HH

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job on the silver! It normally does not come that easy. it is a shame about the indian head too. I found a key like yours, I wonder what they were made for. IMAG0025.jpg

OP
OP
HugeSeng

HugeSeng

Sep 15, 2012
southwest va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
means a lot to me that you guys took your time and responded! thanks! and tonyc10k i also have recovered quite a bit of iron. just going to pile it up.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep on diggin. it just keeps getting better :icon_thumleft:

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Keep practicing it gerpts better

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME!! My first silver was also a Merc dime too....found at turn of the century ghost town. :thumbsup: Looks like you're going to be having a lot of fun hunting. Keep at it

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey congrats on the silver, I don't care what anyone says, the first one is always the best no matter what it is! Also wanted to tell you that your key is from a Model T Ford. Probably someones spare copy since it doesn't have the Ford logo on it. Cool find!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love that silver, and welcome to tnet, your gonna like it here theres lots of nice people here.:icon_thumleft:

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver and indian head! Your doing great for a beginner. :) My first time out all i got was a clad quarter and dime! After you get use to your detector.you will have many more great hunts!!! It only gets better.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread