One field, Two days, and my first Large Cent! (Plus a bottle dump discovery!)

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone!

Have I got a story for you! On Friday, I called Bob to tell him about my newly discovered King George II and a field that is in prime conditions where he found a couple large cents, an Indian head, a civil war token, and an 1821 draped bust quarter! We talked for a little bit and then we decided we were going to go detecting that day! So I got all my gear ready and got dropped off at his house a little before 4. After talking things over, we figured it would be best if we went to a site in the woods with cellar holes (we were more intrigued to go here after we found out the ID of the King George. On the way there, I said I had a good feeling about this place. So we left, and we hiked to the spot (10 minutes or less down a partially washed out road), and we went up the hill where I found the KGII, and I remembered I had noticed a metal pot at the top of the hill, so I mentioned it to Bob, and we went to check it out, upon arriving, I saw there were like 10 pots, and a bunge of very large metal items. Bob was about 15 feet to my right, and he said he found bottles! There were about 25, and maybe half of them were broken. Then we went over the top of the hill to where it got flat and all we could see was a dump. There were hundreds of bottles, leather, metal, all sorts of stuff. I found the remains of at least 10 shoes, a belt, an old matress (well the springs) and tons of cool late 1800s-early 1900s bottles. I only took two bottles home, but we are going to go back there with Bushel baskets and just start collecting. Most of the bottles there were intact, and the hundred that we saw were just the ones on the surface. There could be more and older bottles under the ground. I'm getting excited just thinking about it :D. My favorite bottle that I found was a 3-inch perfume bottle that reads LAZELL'S/PERFUME/NEW YORK on the front and BOTTLE PAT'D/AUG. 2ND 81. It still has the glass topper and liquid inside! However, it isn't pleasant smelling (smells exactly like T-Gel shampoo.) So that was just one adventure in a long and wondrous day.

After a while we left, and we stopped to get a bite to eat, and ate as we travelled on the highway. On the way there, I said I had a /very/ good feeling about this place. This place is where last year I got my 1809 Half cent, my 1897 v-nickel, and Bob got an 1833 half cent, a KGII, an 1846 large cent, a Merc, a buffalo nickel, a 1781 half reale, and a dateless one reale. When we got there we saw that the field was completely smooth and had little grass on it. Stoked, we got out and started hunting. Within the first 10 minutes, Bob had dug an 1803 large cent. Confidence unwavering, I marched along. I started popping out relics such as the crotal bell and keyhole cover, then we went about 3/4 out in to the field and began running patterns side by side back towards the truck. We were both finding stuff, a bunch of stuff actually. This is one of the most productive fields we know of. At one point in the night, at 10:45ish, I get a reading, bouncing between penny, quarter, and half dollar. I have Bob read it and it's hovering right around +84 on his XLT. Now we're really excited, cause it's a nice crisp tone and it isn't to loud, and there were only on or two bars on his graph. Anxious, I take out a plug, and when I broke it down, there was a disk staring at us from the dirt. After a moment of silence and stillness, I took out my iPod and snapped this picture. Then I picked it up and yelled "It's a large cent!" We high-fived and looked at it, but I couldn't quite tell what kind it was, I was thinking 1840's. Wouldn't you figure, the night I don't have my camera, ends up being the night I find my first large cent! The same thing happened when I found my Mass. Artillery button! Oh well! After getting back to Bob's I cleaned it up and upon researching the 2011 official Red Book of American Coins, I determined that is is most likely an 1838 Matron head modified, however it could be an 1837 or 1839. It's really hard to tell though. But I'm happy :D Except fot the date the coin is in really good condition. I am so happy to have found this! It was actually part of a penny trifecta! First I found a 1952 Wheat, then I found an 18-- Indian head (which was sticking out of the ground), then I found this! We ended up leaving there around midnight, and the last thing I dug was a makeup tin (the third makeup item to come out of this field this year, Bob found two lipstick tubes, one of them opened showing a full stick with bold color!

I ended up sleeping over that night, as was the plan, and we originally were going to leave to go back to that field around noon, but Bob's daughter's car was having troubles that he needed to tend to. We ended up arriving around two, and hunted until 6:30. I told Bob that this was "going to be a silver day" and I was right. He dug up a 1920 Merc, followed by a 1951 Roosie half an hour later. He alse got a Canadian large cent. Me, I didn't get any coins. But I did get a bunch of relics! Some buttons, am early 1700's spoon top, some other stuff. It was a good day, both of them were :)

With approximately two months of the season left, prime hunting time is also coming. Good thing too, because we have several new/very productive sites lined up. There is a two mile stretch of former road that is littered with cellar holes, the newly discovered bottle dump, a field in a nearby town where the original 1735 settlement + a French and Indian war fort was, a section of forest where there used to be a small community, the field that I mentioned earlier where Bob founf the 1821 quarter, plus the fields we were just at, and many more! So excited for the months to come!

Thanks for reading!

-Anthony

Attachments

• 1GroupShot.jpg
    1GroupShot.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 125
  • GunFlint.jpg
    GunFlint.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 116
  • GunFlint2.jpg
    GunFlint2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Arrow.jpg
    Arrow.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Lazell'sPerfume.jpg
    Lazell'sPerfume.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 119
  • LargeCent1.jpg
    LargeCent1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 128
  • LargeCent2.jpg
    LargeCent2.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 124
  • LargeCent3.jpg
    LargeCent3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 121
  • LargeCent4.jpg
    LargeCent4.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 4

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a very promising site to come

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta love those LC's, nice assortment of finds.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, this field always gives a good variety of finds. And were only half finished with it, plus there is a field right next to the good part of it that we have not hunted yet. So excited to go back ^_^

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, and a fantastic story to go with it!

Cheers,

Buck

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are on an awesome spot......keep the pics and stories coming. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find & that sure has been a productive place for you guys!

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! I feel like when there is a story involved it makes the reader also feel like they are finding the item, it draws them in. I like reading others' stories in their posts as well.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well done . And some killer finds to boot....................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread