Fugio and Liberty Cap Coppers

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Hello T Netters. I got out for few hours today. In 3 hours only 3 non-ferrous hits, but they were goodies. Found a flat button right off the bat, then dug a 1795 Liberty Cap, then finished up with the 1787 Fugio. That Fugio has been on my wish list for a long time.

2012-09-16092251.jpg

2012-09-16115856.jpg

The obverse of the Fugio looks pretty fragile. Just a bit of "dry" cleaning is all I dared do.

Good luck !

FugioandLibertyCap.jpg

Upvote 9

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody. Those old coppers don't appear under your coil every time out. That is for sure.

Leprechaun and Iron Patch, the "ringed" side is definitely the good side. The obverse is toast. I can make out the base of the sundial and indications of letters. Can't see rays, date or cinquefoils. The patina is really just a crust. I use peroxide often on coppers but in this case I am pretty sure even a gentle peroxide cleaning will do more harm than good. I will enjoy it as is. But thanks for the offer to ID it.

JeffH

For some Colonials all you need is one identifiable side to confirm the variety but unfortunately with the Fugio almost all dies had multiple usage so chances are the best anyone could do would be to narrow it down to two.... and when you're talking variety two might as well be a million.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Fugio, looks like a patina build up and the coin seems to be well preserved under the patina. Congrats and HH, Mike

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very early piece......great find

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Looks like you had a great day. Congrats on the great finds!
I've never been happier detecting than when I found my Fugio. (No liberty cap yet though.)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two very nice coppers there! Would love to dig either of them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread