Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

After digging the Pelican button in our straggler field a month ago, I haven't posted any finds. Work hit here pretty hard, and I took a few weeks off. Then a quick talk to the property owner and we got a green light on hunting in between the newly sprouting sugar cane. So off we went to re-hunt the straggler field (systematic grid), and see what the plow had turned up for us to find. This wasn't a deep plow and rolling (that's once every three years here), but rather just a stirring up of the top of the rows. I went and met Shanegalang for the first hunt, and got a few decent bits. He eyeballed a silver Philippines occupation coin made into a brooch, pin, or tie tack. Thought that was a real cool find.

0.jpg

Musketball, an assortment of marbles, mid-1800s pipe bowl, what I believe to be a kepi buckle (please confirm if you know for sure), and a solid silver thimble which I was pleased with. Also got the back from what was most likely an Eagle cuff button. Here's my finds from this first hunt:

1.jpg

I then met up with Shane the following week to continue the grid. On this hunt I dug our first Dropped minieball from the site (this is an important clue, since we were in the process of hunting for a camp when we stumbled on the straggler field in the first place). The bullet wasn't wormed or pulled, so we're not as close as we could be... At one point, I looked down and saw a tiny speck of brass laying on the surface. When I picked it up, I realized it was an unfired percussion cap. The tiny thing wouldn't even give a solid beep on my detector it was so small. Probably why I have never found one of these before. I also dug a piece of a Bormann timed fuse (strange find at this site, but we have dug them a mile away, so anything is possible...) And got another silver thimble...or a piece of one. Thought it was aluminum at first, but turned it over and realized what it was. At any rate, it was the usual mix of old and new from the field:

2.jpg
3.jpg

When I got home, I cleaned some iron relics that have been under foot at the house, and fished a little relic out of the vinegar. I thought it was a spur rowel, not a clock gear, and after cleaning off the rusted iron, I think I'm right.

4.jpg

Well, we went out this past weekend again, and Diggergirl was free and able to come along too. We gridded off a lot of rows, but we intend to finish the field before the cane gets too tall to hunt. The finds were pretty good. Diggergirl got her first Louisiana minieball, and her first silver thimble (a nice one that likely had a stone in the top at one point). I had just dug the back of yet another cuff button, and was greeted by a two-piece button in the dirt. I yelled for everyone to come over, seeing a rmdc backmark and knowing it was a CW era find rather than WWI. After the photo op, courtesy of Diggergirl, it was time to unveil...

5.jpg

And it turned out to be... a flower button, mid 19th century. That is only the second non- military two-piece button we've ever dug down here. Oh well. Still a fun find for the collection, and there will be more military to come I'm sure.

Then I eyeballed another mid-19th century pipe bowl and an early clay pipe stem, and dug a piece of another spur. This is spur #7 from this field--all different styles and manufactures. We will have a big jigsaw puzzle with these once the field is plowed again! This spur appears to be more western style, and post CW, but there have been CW era Confederate style spurs, goose-neck and "saw back" styles, and federal issue M1859 examples as well. Nice that this one was decorative.

6.jpg

When we got home, we tossed out the trash and can slaw, pitched the cast iron junk, and spread out all the finds on a table on the porch:

7.jpg

After getting rid of the bits of brass sheet metal and junque in the recycling bin, we had this left to show between Diggergirl and I:

8.jpg

Her first silver thimble (Congrats, Diggergirl! It took me a long time to find my first one of those!), a nice piece of fired, Louisiana-Dug Lead 8-) and what may be a piece of the chain that led from the strap box stud to the boot on a spur.

9.jpg

I was pleased with a lantern wick knob that says "SUN LIGHT PAT DEC 14 1869".

10.jpg

It's nothing earth shattering, but we are dealing with limited hunt time here due to heat, and crop in all our decent fields but one until harvest. Chugging away, and there are still CW finds being made. Shane dug a tombac button from the field last hunt, and I think we may get an occasional sweet surprise still hiding in this field. And once harvest happens, it's open season on Spanish Silver, New Orleans Seated Silver, Civil War, and Colonial!

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Upvote 9

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photography, Penthouse has done worse.
Almost looks like a clock gear made into a spur rowel.
Carl

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It all looks good to me BB!! Nice kepi buckle. Still amazed at the number and variety of marbles (spur variety too). The .58 cal. bullet is a postitive omen of things to come from that site. HH, Quindy.

U

umrgolf

Good hunts there, Will. That crafted rowel is an awesome find!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Nice finds, any close ups of the silver Philippines occupation coin made into a brooch.? I look forward to your posts, keep them up!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Buck the Bandits are ground pounding on those sites:headbang:

Nice pictures and a wonderful variety of eye candy:occasion14:

Blaze

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome display.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys sure are pulling a variety of stuff out of those canefields. Good luck this fall.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Great group of finds! Lots of eyeball finds. I dont seem to find much stuff like the marbles and glass/bone buttons.

VPR

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys always find a lot of neat things......keep swinging

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of finds! Lots of eyeball finds. I dont seem to find much stuff like the marbles and glass/bone buttons.

VPR

You know, it's funny you mention that. I started detecting in 1992, and I have never found as many eyeball finds as I find here. Part of it is the fact that they really plow here (not no-till like it was in Virginia and Kentucky), but I think part of it is the fact that after the fields are burned here, you can really see everything (no stubble left like there is with soybeans or corn). It's really astounding. My marble jar has over 70 marbles from this field alone, and I'm sure that Shane has found another 50 or so from this field. I don't know why that is, unless this field was a trash dump for the plantation, which could be very possible.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread