The Bootleggers Yard

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
The Bootlegger's Yard

In previous replies I mentioned that my house had been owned by a bootlegger in the 1930s. I haven't done alot of digging yet, but I did find an aluminum 1945 five franc piece last year.

With the temperature at 60 deg. and a spare hour today, I headed out back. On my first dig I uncovered a 1944 Mercury dime, I was thrilled. I thought... If it's going to be this easy... I went on to uncover two pull-tabs, a Pepsi cap, hose clamp, and a piece of wire.

A quick scan near the front steps... more pull tabs, and two pennies together, a 1978 and a severely corroded 1996... hmmm, I guess my kids had been tossing some pennies around maybe.

Still hopeful of finding a cache under or around this house, even thinking of getting down into the old cistern.

This old Bounty Hunter II will make a noise near buried metal, but discriminating the pull-tabs looks to be out of the question. Out in the front yard, I get hits every six inches to one foot! Still working on getting a better MD.

Anyway, I was pretty excited finding the Mercury on the first hole of the day, and wanted to post that the MD bug bit me again. After reading about the 1936 'dot' cent here, it's more of a fever now, than a bug.

Upvote 0

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: The Bootlegger's Yard

Great job on the Merc. In my opinion especially in your own yard its to dig all targets even the junk. The good stuff will come!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Ex,
Congrats on the Merc!
...60 degrees....NOW I'm jealous :)
Now go find that cache! :)

T

TreasureTales

kg6yll said:
...In my opinion especially in your own yard its to dig all targets even the junk....

I agree completely. Dig it ALL and then you'll know you didn't miss something good. Besides, then you'll have clean ground, and whenever anybody loses anything there again, you'll immediately know that the one and only signal you get must be it.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Congratulations on that Merc. I agree on the Bounty Hunter. I have the Pioneer 505. I picked up a Fisher CZ-6A. WoW what a difference it makes. Much greater depth. Better ID. And not Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep...LoL when nothing is around.

Hope you can come up with that other detector. I know you will love the switch.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Dig everything eh? Yikes! When we bought the place, we raked pull tabs for a week so the grass could grow, lol. But I do agree, because there was a pull tab right beside the Merc, in the same clump of dirt!

65 degrees today, this might be the day I head 'down under', the house. I see a lot of nails in my future. :)

A new MD is on the front burner, I've got plenty of sites lined up. My home, two old churches, a one-room school, three family homesteads, one dating to the 1860s. Add those to the sites I've researched with links from this forum, I'll be busy for years, so I may as well cover them with a competent machine.

Edit- Wow, over 400 views on this thread overnight. Guess I should've saved that title for the really big find. I'll let this post drive me to find the cache soon. Thanks to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread