Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"DAVE IN JAPAN'S CHINESE KNOWLEDGE HELPED ME FIND YENDONG DUMP

Hi everyone,for about 7 months i have been trying to find a chinese dump that dates between 1854 to 1900.The other night i asked dave about how to locate chinese dumps.His reply went like this "Okinawan chinese like to eat shellfish and often large piles of shell are found in heaps around the place.Main land chinese are different.Well i know that the chinese that came here for the gold ,where infact from coastal areas of mainland China.Over the last 7 months i have found oyster shells [salt-water type] and wonder why they where so far in land.After checking local railway records, large amounts of shellfish were transported on a daly basis.The trainline was built in 1871.

Today i went to the far westside of the chinese gold diggings and spent 5 hours tracing seashells.The location of the area is YenDong.At about 7pm tonight after digging a hole 3 feet deep in the hard clay,i located the dump
Never i all my life have every seen so much broken pottery and oyster shells.
By 8.15pm i was running out of light and only managed to find a few unbroken relics and one coin.I filled in my hole and hide the dump best as i could.If others get onto it my find will be theirs. :( :(

Today was nearly 100 degrees and i drank about gallon of water and was very heat bothered, by the time i was finished for the day.I am going back tomorrow ;D ;D and hot again too.

I found a couple of opium bottles, bass ring,part of a large clay pipe and one late manchu coin.I hope when i start to get some real depth some relics from the 1850's will be intacted.The pipeclay round here is bad ground so i,m hoping like hell.thanks for looking and heres a pic

tinpan

Attachments

• yendong001.jpg
    yendong001.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 407
Upvote 1

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: "DAVE IN JAPAN'S CHINESE KNOWLEDGE HELPED ME FIND YENDONG DUMP

Very cool story ! Love how you two worked together to help you find it....nice bottles...Hope you find more and dont have heatstroke!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Tin,

very interesting on the information.

Now that you found the location, hope you
pull up a bunch.

have a good un...........

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the credit Mate! I was very surprised to read the story.. I was thinking it was a long shot, being it is a different place and time frame..but as far as the Chinese or anywhere in Japan, China, or Okinawa...shells and broken pottery is always a good sign... Nice finds and that coin shape looks very familiar! ;D Hope u find more! ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the opium baron in the den :o ;D

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice old bottles Tinpan........and for the 100 degrees ...... Not bad ;D

Just keep drinking that there water and keep cool.....HH

98 gt

Oct 5, 2006

oh where they put trash, i thought yendong was a person.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good stuff Tin. Keep us posted with more finds!!

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the replys,The name YenDong i have no idea but the Manchu area built 4 chiness joss houses in the main camp Dai Gum San [mountain of gold] Each of these where named after famous chinese of the past.They honored their people of the past.One of the joss houses honored Yeuh Fei famous general of the Sung dynasty.The total chinese mining area covers about 10, 000 ac.They had market gardens,town, chinese brick kiln and pottery works, 7000 chinese in the fiest gold rush and settle community of 3000 until the fall of imperal china in 1911.Some of the shards of pottery are large and of a brown earth ware and quite large.By the bases of the pots i would say 5 Gallon or bigger,Greeny-blue pottery and broke 3 bladed rake and broke bronze horse combs.no chinese gambling counters though.

tinpan hey 98 google a map of great city of bendigo and follow the main highwaY to Whitehills and you should find the area Known as Yendong.I don,t think its going to say "HELLO" LOL

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Sounds like slowly zeroing in. I hope you find that site.

Postalrevnant

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Tinnie,

Once again you have found the great and unusual ::) I think that dump could turn out to be pretty good by the time you have finished. Were the Chinese into taking the opium for themselves or for the selling? Umm they must of worked hard and fast if they took that stuff ;D
Keep the good work... I am enjoying your finds.

God bless
Peter

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Great story and finds!

This is what's makes this all so much fun.

Badger

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Tinpan, I'm curious. What keeps you from searching after hours? Is this located in a rough area, lighting would attract the wrong crowd, or you have personal obligations that keep you from it? It just seems to me I'd try digging by lantern in the cooler temperatures rather than go in 100 degree heat.

Just curious, if you don't want to share the response, please PM.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions