1852 Gold Dollar

U

umrgolf

(cleaned photos in reply 41)

I know there are some guys out there who think its impossible to make the coin/relic finds I've made this year (as I've heard about through recent private messages) and honestly, I'm fine with that. I'm not going to quit sharing my finds. I enjoy seeing everyone else's great finds and like to share mine when I find them. If you want to sling mud about me behind my back, have at it. Those who know me personally know what type of guy I am and everyone else is entitled to their own opinions.

That being said, yesterday I went to a spot where I had found some nice things earlier in the year and picked up some bullets and an 1853 halfdime (not pictured)

Today, I returned back to the same spot and right off the bat found the 1861 halfdime. After about an hour or so, I had only found the five bullets and some camp lead so I went back to the spot where I found the 2 halfdimes. I got a VERY FAINT signal hitting 88-92 on my machine which is generally a deep square nail, so I dig... and you can see from the pictures how deep this gold coin was. My best guess is 7-9 inches. I added the embossed glass shard with the "D" since it was in the same hole :laughing7: ** Out of the hole, the coin is a consistent 56 signal, and nickels ring up as 60 on the gold bug, so just below a nickel.

-The first four pictures are from my cell phone

Thanks for looking, this is my 1st gold coin

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Upvote 31

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
umrgolf said:
I know there are some guys out there who think its impossible to make the coin/relic finds I've made this year (as I've heard about through recent private messages) and honestly, I'm fine with that. I'm not going to quit sharing my finds. I enjoy seeing everyone else's great finds and like to share mine when I find them. If you want to sling mud about me behind my back, have at it. Those who know me personally know what type of guy I am and everyone else is entitled to their own opinions.

All that being said, yesterday I went to a spot where I had found some nice things earlier in the year and picked up some bullets and an 1853 halfdime (not pictured)

Today, I returned back to the same spot and right off the bat found the 1861 halfdime. After about an hour or so, I had only found the five bullets and some camp lead so I went back to the spot where I found the 2 halfdimes. I got a VERY FAINT signal hitting 88-92 on my machine which is generally a deep square nail, so I dig... and you can see from the pictures how deep this gold coin was. My best guess is 7-9 inches. I added the embossed glass shard with the "D" since it was in the same hole :laughing7: ** Out of the hole, the coin is a consistent 56 signal, and nickels ring up as 60 on the gold bug, so just below a nickel.

-The first four pictures are from my cell phone

Thanks for looking, this is my 1st gold coin

Jeff

Your on fire. Wow nice coin. Don't worry about Internet gossip.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff, you need to play the lottery this year!! Super find and I know you always wanted one. This is a repayment for sharing your site with Coach when he dug that gold coin. Congrats, Quindy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, when you called me I knew you'd hit a MAJOR find! Thanks for sharing the first few minutes with me on the phone, I really appreciate it! Karma hit you back in a GREAT way. Most folks on here would never share the types of sites you have with buddies, and for you to share your sites with friends is just first rate of you. One of them got a gold coin, and then you dug those dollar gold brass bracelets...and that was a sign of good things to come! Those $1 gold coins read so low on detectors, and are so tiny, that's why more of them aren't dug. You'd think there'd be twice as many $1 golds for every other gold coin dug. You know they were lost. Well, you managed to sniff one out. Fantastic find! And I don't even have to tell you how rare it is to dig something like that. Fantastic piece of history, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Best Wishes,

Buck

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Jeff thank you for taking the time and effort for sharing with us.Great work,keep it up.You are a excellent detectorist. O:-)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a superb find!! Like BB said, they are so small, I'm surprised more of them aren't found as they must have been easy to lose. Yours looks to be in great condition too! :occasion14:

Last edited:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! That is incredible! Way To Go! I hope you keep finding many more of those beautiful coins from that site! :icon_thumleft:

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
Man I was about a couple miles away when he dug that and as soon as he called me I dropped what I was doing to go see it in person such a great find for a great person/ friend of mine his luck even rubbed off on me as I went back to my spot a couple miles away I got my 1841 dime I posted.

Congratulations man thanks for letting me come see it and sharing your luck..LOL

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the $1 gold coin....given the small size you were really on your game to unearth that one.

Regards + HH

Bill

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are those 69's you got? That's NICE! had to look at them one more time very nice. Just let them talk that all they can do.lol HH

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice gold dollar and seated

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer find:headbang:

Would love to find a gold coin..

These poor Colonials around here were as poor as they get..

Blaze

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats amigo!!!!Thats one of the toughest of the gold coins,because of its size.I guarantee many,many guys have had there coils over em before and missed them.....I often wonder how many I have!
As for the Ne sayers.....those are people that will never meet the level that you have because they lack the effort to research and use there machine....the cut above level.One of the reasons I dont post as well

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last thing in the world I would worry about is what some :censored: has to say about the authenticity of my finds. Hey when your good your good. Literally makes my evening to see such incredible finds. It also keeps me doing the research and hoping to find some of those killer camps like you have been in. Literally increased my confidence in my detector as I hunt with the same detector ( well almost mine is G2 ). It got back from the Doctor today. It had a faulty Disc/Threshold switch. Congrats on your incredible finds and keep that little G/Bug a rockin.:icon_thumleft:

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! Don't worry about gossip and keep swinging. It gives me hope when I see other tnet members finding great relics and coins. I look forward to reading your future finds. Always shows you never know what those iffy and weak signal may be.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet gold coin. I quit listening to others peoples BS long ago, as long as you know the truth, and what kind of person you are, who cares what a few other ppl say. HH and congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread