1857 Seated Half Dime, 9 flat buttons(including one thats engraved) and CW lead.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1857 Seated Half Dime, 9 flat buttons(including one that's engraved) and CW lead.

Hey guys. I have a few finds collected from this past week. Thursday I did a short hunt after work and ended up finding a flat button, but not just any flat button. This one appears to be heavily plated silver with the engraving "1W" on the front. Well, as far as I know it's an engraved piece. I didn't know, nor could I find any info on flat buttons with the "1W" on the front. What's everyone's thoughts?

Today my cousin and I had a bunch of time to detect. We detected from about lunch time until about 7:30pm. Right off the bat I land this nice button with a really nice star/sunburst design on it. It was slim pickin's after that...it was about 2:30 and I was ready to wrap it up and go home. lol But, I stuck with it and forged on. This property is huge so I decided to go to a spot where we haven't been much. First good find was this flag that appeared to be a pin or something. It has 13 stars. Can anybody shed any light on this piece? After that I found two piece of a carved round ball...never found the other piece. That really set a fire under my butt...I felt I was on to something good. Well I hit another good signal and it's a tiny flat button, then a nice pistol bullet(not sure the make). I continue to work this area, most of the find at this point are in a straight line. I get turned around(chased away, basically) by a mamma cow that's grazing and I continue on my path and dig a LOW vdi signal of only 45-55. Thought for sure this was gonna be a small button or shotgun shell, but to my surprise it was a 1857 seated HALF DIME! My first half dime!

It was getting late at this point, so I went back to the truck and worked the front field a little more and found 2 more flat buttons and made a friend. Little calf came up to me while I was diggin' a hole. lol Thanks for looking and reading guys! Happy hunting!

Video of several hunts:

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 430.jpg
    Metal Detecting 430.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Metal Detecting 431.jpg
    Metal Detecting 431.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Metal Detecting 434.jpg
    Metal Detecting 434.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Metal Detecting 433.jpg
    Metal Detecting 433.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Metal Detecting 435.jpg
    Metal Detecting 435.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Metal Detecting 428.jpg
    Metal Detecting 428.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 215
  • Metal Detecting 429.jpg
    Metal Detecting 429.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Metal Detecting 427.jpg
    Metal Detecting 427.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Metal Detecting 432.jpg
    Metal Detecting 432.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Metal Detecting 422.jpg
    Metal Detecting 422.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Metal Detecting 423.jpg
    Metal Detecting 423.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Metal Detecting 426.jpg
    Metal Detecting 426.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 5
U

umrgolf

Beautiful finds, Matt. Congrats on your first halfdime :headbang:

The 1W button is VERY intriguing. Most marked buttons from that time frame with a number like that would be a regimental number :dontknow: Looking forward to what others have to say about it.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can tell the engraved button used to have the number 17, but someone transformed the 7 into a W. regimental number? revolutionary war? I'll bet someone here can ID it

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buttons and seated

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can tell the engraved button used to have the number 17, but someone transformed the 7 into a W. regimental number? revolutionary war? I'll bet someone here can ID it

Good eye. I didn't even notice that!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye. I didn't even notice that!

I don't know a lot about the revolutionary war, but I believe it is possible that your button may be revolutionary war period British officer's (or junior officer) button for the British 17th Regiment of Foot. I don't know if they were in your area or not. Here's a link to the unit's history.... HM 17th Regiment History

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds and nic pics.......HH

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the half dime hope that button is from the REV! Lol. You found some great finds on friday cant wait to get back on that side to find some more. Awesome job!!!

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Hope to find more on the other side of the property.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I noticed that the "flag" below your engraved button only has 13 stars. Nice group of finds! I will be watching to see if anything more pops up about the button.

VPR

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post, great pics, and more good finds Matt!!! Nice HD-there will be more for you. WTG, Quindy.

Thanks, Quindy. The F75 is just a beast when it comes to small deep silver!

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that the "flag" below your engraved button only has 13 stars. Nice group of finds! I will be watching to see if anything more pops up about the button.

VPR

Yeah, was hoping somebody had some input on the flag. I mean, it was in an area where I was finding CW stuff, so was wondering if it was a soldiers pin or something. Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any clues on the button? I've searched and searched for 17th regiment buttons and just can't find anything on them.

cwhunter_1

Feb 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab se pro, white oldy, tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the way the W is overlaid on the 7, could be 17th W. Virginia Volunteer regiment, civil war era. :dontknow:

trol

Greenie
Aug 24, 2012
matt092079 said:
Hey guys. I have a few finds collected from this past week. Thursday I did a short hunt after work and ended up finding a flat button, but not just any flat button. This one appears to be heavily plated silver with the engraving "1W" on the front. Well, as far as I know it's an engraved piece. I didn't know, nor could I find any info on flat buttons with the "1W" on the front. What's everyone's thoughts?

Today my cousin and I had a bunch of time to detect. We detected from about lunch time until about 7:30pm. Right off the bat I land this nice button with a really nice star/sunburst design on it. It was slim pickin's after that...it was about 2:30 and I was ready to wrap it up and go home. lol But, I stuck with it and forged on. This property is huge so I decided to go to a spot where we haven't been much. First good find was this flag that appeared to be a pin or something. It has 13 stars. Can anybody shed any light on this piece? After that I found two piece of a carved round ball...never found the other piece. That really set a fire under my butt...I felt I was on to something good. Well I hit another good signal and it's a tiny flat button, then a nice pistol bullet(not sure the make). I continue to work this area, most of the find at this point are in a straight line. I get turned around(chased away, basically) by a mamma cow that's grazing and I continue on my path and dig a LOW vdi signal of only 45-55. Thought for sure this was gonna be a small button or shotgun shell, but to my surprise it was a 1857 seated HALF DIME! My first half dime!

It was getting late at this point, so I went back to the truck and worked the front field a little more and found 2 more flat buttons and made a friend. Little calf came up to me while I was diggin' a hole. lol Thanks for looking and reading guys! Happy hunting!

Video of several hunts:

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcH0D6_gCI&feature=plcp

The thing with lines in it and small circles is a harmonica plate i found one of those too

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool button, and never seen anything like it. One you should run by Troiani.

Don Troiani [email protected]

Interesting button, hard to be certain what it is though. dt

This was his response. lol Guess I may never know! :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread