Quest for gold gives me an UNEXPECTED GRAND SLAM FIRST!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't show finds nearly as much as I used to and only get a small percentage of what I find posted...but I just don't like to post every few days because I don't want to get on people's nerves.
However I do like to post some of the more memorable hunts or finds such as this hunt was.

I decided I was going to try for GOLD...but got skunked as expected. However......................................................................

Out of nowhere came my FIRST EVER NICKEL GRAND SLAM....Shield Nickel....V-Nickle...Buffalo Nickel...Jefferson Nickel.

All in the same day of hunting with my Explorer SE...along with a ton of can slaw:laughing7:...the usual BS aluminum crap8-)...and a very sore back.

I actually found a 5th Nickel variation to make it a grand slam PLUS ONE...as I found a silver war nickel with my E-Trac that same night. Not sure what finding all 5 nickel variations in one day would even be called...so I'll just stick with the Nickel Grand Slam of 4 different with my Explorer.

I figured I would revisit 3 of my faithful spots that have given up a lot of silver, injuns', and wheaties over the years...but are still full of lower conductor hits...and try to dig some gold. I figure if I keep chasing low conductors...maybe some yellow stuff will show up sooner or later.

I didn't have to worry about wasting time digging clad, wheaties, or even taking a shot at a deep. iffy, high hit...'cause there aren't any here any longer...seriously.

The only thing I had to contend with was all the BS items that sound like a nickel...and that includes nearly everything but the kitchen sink.

Well trust me...I dug plenty of it...and emptied my pouch once before even taking the pic of all the crap I dug.

The first good target I hit was a shield nickel down 8".

About an hour later (and 20 pulltabs) I popped out a V-Nickel down only 4"??? I was hoping to see some yellow stuff pop out...but it didn't happen.

Later in the evening I got nickel #3 ...a buffalo down over 7".

NO gold...but it was at this point I realized I now had the first 3 of 4 pieces needed for a nickel grand slam......ME?

Now I'm thinking I have over 2 hours of daylight left to find a common Jefferson nickel...but after 2 parks still didn't have one in my pouch.:icon_scratch:

After finding the first three...shield...V...and buffalo...I got into a rare, nickel finding frenzy and forgot I was even searching for gold.:headbang:

I decided to head to a third spot which had once held some carnival action and I remember back in the late 60's. I rember I was in kindergarten or first grade and it had a nickel pitch booth where you tossed a nickle and tried to get it to land in some various glassware in the center. The reason I remember it is because my mom and dad would play it and furnish our cupboards with new glasses and goblets each summer.

Anyway within 45 minutes I had found 4 jefferson nickels to complete my first ever NICKEL GRAND SLAM.:occasion14:

Me EVER finding a nickel slam is one I something I wouldn't have guessed in a million years I would ever accomplish.

What makes this so memorable is that I was able to accomplish my improbable slam with my Explorer SE by complete ACCIDENT ...because I was hoping to pop out some gold instead.... and in fact that's what I was trying for. I'm sure as heck not complaining though and I can honestly say finding a nickel slam was not in my wildest dreams.

What a SHOCKER...and just one more reason why I LOVE this hobby and the jot it brings me.:hello:

The only other keeper coin I found all day was a deeeeeep injun' that came from a measured, true 11" deep and had a pulltab in the hole at the 7" to 8" level.

After a long day of hunting...Hercules enjoyed some relaxation on his new Harley comfort blanket.:angel7:

Attachments

• nicklecrap.jpg
    nicklecrap.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 175
  • nickleshield.jpg
    nickleshield.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 161
  • nicklev.jpg
    nicklev.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 174
  • nicklebuff.jpg
    nicklebuff.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 173
  • nickleslam.jpg
    nickleslam.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 198
  • nicklesallslam.jpg
    nicklesallslam.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 186
  • injun11.jpg
    injun11.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 172
  • ootieharley.jpg
    ootieharley.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 12

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Post, post, get on our nerves. I like looking at treasure. Nice looking dog too. He looks smart. If he was mine I'd show him where to dig(bet he already knows how). Do that and you can kick back with a cool one. Besides, he won't gripe or complain when he finds a pull tab. Now, post everything, but don't forget to give the dog credit for HIS finds.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post, post, get on our nerves. I like looking at treasure. Nice looking dog too. He looks smart. If he was mine I'd show him where to dig(bet he already knows how). Do that and you can kick back with a cool one. Besides, he won't gripe or complain when he finds a pull tab. Now, post everything, but don't forget to give the dog credit for HIS finds.
Much appreciated Austin...and you're correct...Hercules does a lot of coin "sniffin" for me.:angel7:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job On The Nickel Grand Slam + 1! And the Indian is Great Too! That was one deep penny! Keep Digging Those Low Tones And You Will Find Gold! What are the dates on the Buffalo And Shield Nickels? Way To Go! :icon_thumleft:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and nice job brother! Congrats on yet another slam!! Still can't believe they don't have a machine that can better tell us when gold is under the coil!

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice whas the date on the 5 cent piece ? you hit it out of the park. Good job.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score !

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job On The Nickel Grand Slam + 1! And the Indian is Great Too! That was one deep penny! Keep Digging Those Low Tones And You Will Find Gold! What are the dates on the Buffalo And Shield Nickels? Way To Go! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks Dave. The shield is an 1866 and the buffalo is...well...a buffalo8-). I can't make out a date at all...lol.

Great story and nice job brother! Congrats on yet another slam!! Still can't believe they don't have a machine that can better tell us when gold is under the coil!
Thanks brother. Yeah...that would be nice wouldn't it:occasion14:

great nickel slam!
Thanks, friend.

Nice whas the date on the 5 cent piece ? you hit it out of the park. Good job.
Thanks G2D. It is an 1866

Nice score !
Thanks buddy.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy howdy you was really finding the nickels. good job.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find on the shield, there hard to come buy in good condition. Great hunt.:icon_thumleft:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SF,
MAN!! Now THATS a grand slam, That would be a great day in my book, and the odds of doing that ? astronomical
So I dub thee SIR Nickle Freak!!! (joking).....................HH

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,great hauling day awesome finds,never think posting will irritate people,we all like to see others treasures:icon_thumright:,if they get irritated,pray for them to find treasures like yours,,HH:hello:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you posting your finds here as well Bryce. Always enjoy looking at pictures of some great finds and reading about how they were found. BTW....big congrats on your nickle grand slam + 1....Well done for sure. :icon_thumleft: to Herky too.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Bryce! What an unexpected surprise, especially when you aren't looking for it. Hope all is well and your dad is doing well.

HH!

Hardy

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Hercules is your good luck charm. Congrats on all the nickels.

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you that what you did was a very impressive feat to say the least... congrats on some great finds and hunt. I had chance the first of the year to hunt an older home in the City where I live. the lady gave me permission and I was so excited until she told me some guy had came by about 4 years ago and stayed a whole day in her tiny front yard. but I went ahead anyways and decided to slow to a crawl.. sure enough, no high tone Silver that I could find. but I did walk away with a Trifecta of a War, Buffalo and a V Nickel for my troubles. I was dreaming about a shield, it never came...

PS: I found my nickels using TTF, it;s the only way I could find them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread