Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"THE WORLD'S FIRST TRACKLESS TRAIN [THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD]"

hi everyone, First is the account and the story then this piece of american history came to Bendigo in 1928.

Apparenttly,a Harry O.McGee of Indiaapolis,was well known in automobile circles for his unique ideas in connection with auto body construction.

The first example was literally a trackless train; a wheeled vehicle powered by an automobiile motor,but looking for all the world like a locomotive.

It was used during the last days of World War 1 as a recruitment tool and was subsequently brought by a large carnival for use in parades.

Later McGee and his company became involved in a new system for stripping and repainting motor cars called Lykglas.This time,McGee built the worlds first trackless transcontinental highway train for promotion purposes.He eventually sold this one to the movie company.By 1928, McGee was advertising itself as designers and builders of custom automobiles and portable sound equipment.More than 16 of these trackless trains were built.

After traveling around the world promoting various products,the trackless train came to Bendigo on August 15 1928.The promotion was for the american car importer [Pethard Motors] Pethards sold early Buicks,Chevrolet,Oldsmobile,G.M.C Trucks.A large number of the new motor cars from Pethard motors joined up with the trackless train at the edge of town and then drove threw town in one big parade.

Some time a go i found a 1928 Chevy Raditor Badge and on a second hunt i found the trunk handle of a motor car of the same age.The site i hunted was the the Pethard garage and storage centre just over the hill from the main show room.Most people here in 1928 still didn,t have a motor car and it would many years before the motorcar truely became affordable.With this in mind, i believe that these finds of mine ,may well have been apart of the pardade with trackless train.Nice to find out this sort of info on finds."every relic has a story to tell"

tinpan ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• chevy001.jpg
    chevy001.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 457
  • chevy002.jpg
    chevy002.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 433
Upvote 0

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: "THE WORLD'S FIRST TRACKLESS TRAIN [THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD]"

Very Nice ...Never know what the story is behind just about anything we find!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice story and interesting finds! HH, Mike

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Cool Story Tin,
I like the way you always add the history behind your finds!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice storyline Tinpan.....pretty cool finds! Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

I like the way you post the history - I normally just snap a quick picture, then toss it in my bucket. :D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread