The rain helped me find a Standing Liberty Quarter and ring!

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hey folks, today was a first for me. I was taking it easy this afternoon while my 3 kids were going stir crazy because of all the rain we've been getting, so the sun finally came out for a few hours and they all wanted to go ride their bikes at a local park. I've hunted this area many times while my kids played and rode hundreds of miles. Anyway I thought, what's one more time, the ground is saturated so I may get a little deeper on my finds.
Off to the park we went, I grabbed my AT Pro and pinpointer and waterproof boots. We arrived and right away my kids started to burn off sugar and I no sooner started and wham, a wheat 1941 wheat penny. I scanned for a few more minutes and found some clad and then another wheat (1944) I moved my way along a road and found this neat ring, I thinks it's plated but not too sure. Any help would be appreciated. Then the unexpected happened, I hit on a signal in the high 80's showing 10 plus inches. I decided to get a shovel due to all the mud. I'm glad I did! The further I dug the higher the number got, I couldn't believe at 12 inches I was still digging then at 14 inches out popped my first standing Liberty Quarter- a 1929. I was stoked to say the least.
I took some pics with my iphone before and after I soaked it in water.
Hope you enjoyed the story.
9-30 044.JPG 9-30 046.JPG 9-30 047.JPG 9-30 049.JPG 9-30 050.JPG

Upvote 5

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice standing liberty. Nice to see the date!

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a very nice day. Time with the young ones is a great day then to make some impressive fines on top. I'm very suprised with the depth of your standing liberty. I don't think I have ever found anything deeper that nine inches. I'm sure that the rain helped and destiny took over. May there be many more great day in your future.

Coinhound

OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
coinhound said:
Sounds like you had a very nice day. Time with the young ones is a great day then to make some impressive fines on top. I'm very suprised with the depth of your standing liberty. I don't think I have ever found anything deeper that nine inches. I'm sure that the rain helped and destiny took over. May there be many more great day in your future.

Coinhound

I'll be honest I was really surprised at the depth. So to verify it I retrieved a tape measure from my truck...just to make sure. The saturated ground was the key to finding it. I've been over that same spot many times with no luck.
Thanks for the kind words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread