🥇 BANNER 153 lbs of Silver.

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went metal detectecting in the old silver tailings around here and I got a great signal on the F75. It came in at around 67 on the screen. Oh great another piece of tin i thought to myself. Oh well, dig everything because you never know what it might be. After about 35 minutes of digging and having the hole collapse in on me many times I finally saw the target. It was a nice pink coloured rock. That is a good sign since around here a lot of silver has Cobalt in it. That is one of the ways the miners would find silver veins back in the old days. Anyways, after finally digging it out, I couldn't lift it out of the hole. It was too heavy for me. It was also a very deep hole. I had to get a ratchet strap from my truck and pull it out of the hole. It is so heavy that I could hardly carry the thing over the tailings piles and through the bush. I ended up dragging it most of the way with the ratchet strap which finally gave in and broke apart from the abuse. I ended up rolling/carrying it the rest of the way. When I got home I found out the true weight of it. It weighs over 150 lbs. I still have to clean it up. It has cobalt and calcite in it and I estimate it to be at least over 75% silver. I rubbed it up a little bit to show some of the silver. It still has to be cleaned. :hello2:

Attachments

• IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,371
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,373
  • IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,332
  • IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,359
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,769
Upvote 48

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's why we dig all the signals! Great job...d2

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now that is impressive!!! I sure hope that you follow through and update us all with the final results. Digging that up from within a rockbed had to be a real chore. I hate to admit it, but I do believe I would have given up after getting down 8 or 9 inches without a payoff. My hat is off to you.

Coinhound

I agree keep us updated.

Not to be a downer, I know nothing about raw silver, & only see a rock.
you of course have it, & see different :thumbsup:
if you get an assay or professional opinion let us know.
(of course if your a professional, My apologies for not knowing)

And an advanced congrats !

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find,if it turns out to be silver I'd vote BANNER also so keep us posted.:icon_thumleft:

bradk05

Jun 3, 2012
Roughly $63,000 worth of silver if all turns out correct that u do have 75% silver. Given that it goes around $33 dollars an ounce.
Not sure the refine cost though.
Banner for sure if silver!!!
Say there be more in that area. Can't be only silver Laying around solo!!!. Hahaha
Congrats again

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will try and go back out there later tonight to see if there might be any more around. I did find another piece of silver in the same hole as the 153 pounder. It weighs maybe 4 pounds. Today I will try and clean the rock up some more and take some better pictures of it. It would be cool to have it assayed but I have no idea what that involves.

Awsome find I'd keep looking in the area there is probably more where that came from maybe even checking up hill if there is a hill above it.
Oh yes, there is a hill above where I dug the big piece out. It's a huge tailings pile. I had to drag the rock up this thing!

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep us posted.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, be sure to keep us posted...that's what sweet dreams are made of!

I'll be voting banner once you verify the silver content. I love how the pics show the work involved. Either way and whatever it's value, it was no free lunch...you certainly earned it. Excellent job!!!

cheers,
cc

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edited to Add:
I'd stick with zoomed in shots and avoid revealing too much terrain, also make sure the gps is off on your phone (if that is what you use for pics)

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very prety!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you 100% sure it is sillver and not Galena (lead ore).
Time to whack a piece of that off and take it to someone who can I.D. it.
Maybe you can just take the 4 lb piece.to an assayer. You might have a geologist look at it first though, it will save you the assay costs if it is Galena (176 lbs of lead might get you $200?).

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.75x 153 = 114.75x16 = 1836x35$ = 64 THOUSAND DOLLARS. Someones getting a new car and detector if your correct about this

You used standard ounces, not troy ounces. it would be 1673.3 troy x $35 = $58,566. Of course, refining costs will probably take about 20% since it's still in ore form. Unless you can get someone to buy it as a specimen.

northcal

Sep 17, 2008
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21/
Garrett ATGold/
Garrett ProPointer/
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
You used standard ounces, not troy ounces. it would be 1673.3 troy x $35 = $58,566. Of course, refining costs will probably take about 20% since it's still in ore form. Unless you can get someone to buy it as a specimen.

Good call Jason

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Super cool find! I hope it turns out to be silver!
baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread