Button Spot hunt gives me a LARGE smile!

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Hi and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
JohnyMc and I snuck out Friday evening to TnT2000's button spot. John has been coaching college lacrosse full time and hasn't gotten out too much lately. We both got a couple flat buttons and each got a nice cufflink. We were just ready to leave and I got a great signal at 3 inches. I almost dropped over when I saw this 1797 large cent. It is in awesome condition and is the first large cent that I could plainly identify.

Saturday morning TnT and I got right back there. No coins, but lots of buttons and what I think (from seeing posts on here) is a change purse of some sort. Any help ID'ing would be appreciated.
Thanks for looking and HH
Mark G

Attachments

• Obverse.jpg
    Obverse.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4,399
  • Reverse.jpg
    Reverse.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,366
  • Links and Coin Case.jpg
    Links and Coin Case.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4,396
  • Group Shot.jpg
    Group Shot.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4,337
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark, congrats on a nice one. I took the time to attribute the variety, since that makes much more of a difference in value than condition, due to the 1797 Large Cent having about 34 varieties and only 5 of them are Common. Unfortunately yours is the most common variety of the 1797. At least from what I have determined from your highly angled photograph, which made attribution a tad harder, but I am fairly certain your 1797 is a Sheldon 139.

But now the good news, despite that being the most common variety of 1797, I looked up this years auction prices and I compared yours to 3 that sold this year. Two of them were less in detail than yours, one less corrosion, one slightly less corrosion, and one that is a tad more detail and much smoother appearance overall.

The two that I believe are less valuable than yours went at auction for $161 and $345 respectively. The one I feel is in better shape than yours sold for $546.

So, somewhere between the $345 and $546 would be my best guess of value for your find. Again, just judgement on my part and if you would like to know the how and where I got my information, PM me. :)

It is nice to know that even the most common variety out of 34 varieties still going for a good price. Imagine if it were one of the more scarce varieties!

Again, nice find, surprised a Pa Large Cent looks so good! :)

Don in South Jersey

D

dugupfinds

Boobydoo said:
Just amazing finds, I am drooling here.
That large cent is one of the best dug ones I have ever seen, ciongrats big time on that!
The change holder is such a cool relic. Too bad it wasn't filled with gold coins. WTG!!

Smiles!
BDoo

I think your right about the gold coin bit. These were used in the UK to carry gold sovereigns & half sovereigns. So check the diamensions & see which type of gold coins it carried.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That large cent is one of the best dug coppers I have seen........! WTG

What I would like to know if possible, the area you found it .....was the soil well drained and was it a sand/dirt mixture....The

condition is excellent! :)

The Seeker

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the Yellow on it, I'd guess Clay ?

Probably why it was Preserved.

We have Very Thick Yellow clay here in PA.

OP
OP
markgPA

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
The Seeker said:
That large cent is one of the best dug coppers I have seen........! WTG

What I would like to know if possible, the area you found it .....was the soil well drained and was it a sand/dirt mixture....The

condition is excellent! :)

The Seeker

Hi Seeker
The soil is pretty well drained on a hillside above a small spring. After the initial hole is cut, you can almost dig by hand. Maybe TnT2000 will post tonight and give a better description of the place.
Thanks for the post.
Mark

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everytime I click on to Check the Replies,
I can't help Scrolling to the top again
and Looking at it ;D

That is one Beautiful coin !

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
jeff of pa said:
and Looking at it ;D

me too! it really is a great thing to find!

OP
OP
markgPA

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
jeff of pa said:
and Looking at it ;D

THANKS JEFF!
I owe all my recent finds to the generousity of TNT2000. He took me to this spot and the spot I got all the indians. He is one great huntin buddy!
I can't stop looking at it either!!!!!!
Thanks again Jeff.
Mark

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That large cent is absolutely fantastic! I like the power puff case too.

I would research that large cent....$$$$$

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that large is amazing! what a thrill to crack the 19th century with such a great coin. congratulations on all those finds-
steve

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! :o What a site that must be! :o

Love all them buttons and that has to be the best large cent I have seen on here!

Congrats!!!! Nana :)

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
Hey Mark...

well all I can say is hunting is more fun with friends (friends I met here on TN) for which I am happy to share my spots.....

As for the soil conditions. Lets see as Mark said it is on a hillside some steeper than others, it is pretty well wooded, the ground is really all topsoil down as far as I have dug, but as I stated in another post all the coins and buttons have been down max 3" and as shallow as 1"..
I had found 2 Large cents 1801 and 1802 and both were in great shape and nicely green like marks, but other large cents I have found in my area are almost black. The silver 3 cent had black spots on it, which is uncommon for silver in our area...

Attachments

• md12 016.jpg
    md12 016.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3,718
  • md12 010.jpg
    md12 010.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,699
  • md12 016.jpg
    md12 016.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3,714
  • md12 010.jpg
    md12 010.jpg