Button Spot hunt gives me a LARGE smile!

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Hi and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
JohnyMc and I snuck out Friday evening to TnT2000's button spot. John has been coaching college lacrosse full time and hasn't gotten out too much lately. We both got a couple flat buttons and each got a nice cufflink. We were just ready to leave and I got a great signal at 3 inches. I almost dropped over when I saw this 1797 large cent. It is in awesome condition and is the first large cent that I could plainly identify.

Saturday morning TnT and I got right back there. No coins, but lots of buttons and what I think (from seeing posts on here) is a change purse of some sort. Any help ID'ing would be appreciated.
Thanks for looking and HH
Mark G

Attachments

• Obverse.jpg
    Obverse.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4,399
  • Reverse.jpg
    Reverse.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,366
  • Links and Coin Case.jpg
    Links and Coin Case.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4,396
  • Group Shot.jpg
    Group Shot.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4,337
Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark, that is the best large cent I have ever seen! Nice! Tsgman

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Congratulaions!

Very inspiring. It looks like two of the buttons are made of glass with metal rims. (lower left hand corner).

Is that correct?

Lots of history there.

Ridley

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
I just got my first look at your Large Cent.Excellent!Congrats!
Now I have to take a 2nd look...3rd...4th...5th.................................

D

dugupfinds

Very inspiring. It looks like two of the buttons are made of glass with metal rims. (lower left hand corner).

Is that correct?

Looks more like a cufflink with some guilding left around the edge. (see top picture for better view)

OP
OP
markgPA

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
dugfinds said:

Is that correct?

Looks more like a cufflink with some guilding left around the edge. (see top picture for better view)

Yes, they are cufflinks. JohnyMc found one a little different there and TnT found one side of a replica reale cufflink.

OP
OP
markgPA

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
laralucine said:
oh, wow! that LC is in terrific condition, and I like the coin holder - can we see pix of the outside/ what it looks like closed?

Hi laralucine
here are some pics
thanks
Mark

Attachments

• Top of holder.jpg
    Top of holder.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,436
  • Bottom of holder.jpg
    Bottom of holder.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 3,397
D

dugupfinds

Have you worked out what gold coins it held yet?

Could be colonial

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
That is just a great Large Cent.....I am in the Northeast as well and we all know that they rarely come out looking like that.......dropped in uncirculated (or damn near it) condition.....great, great find......congrats!!

HH all!
Greg

OP
OP
markgPA

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
dugfinds said:
Have you worked out what gold coins it held yet?

Could be colonial

Hi dugfinds
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a ruler handy ( and would never be able to do the metric conversion for you) so here is a pic. It fits 2 modern dimes and 1 modern nickel perfectly. The springs under the pads still work great. The only down side is the metal rim around the top would've scratched some nice coins. I still would've loved to see some scratched gold!!!
Thanks
Mark G

Attachments

• coinholder.jpg
    coinholder.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,354

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
one more thing.....is that a die crack running from 7 to 9 o'clock?.......looks like it to me.

That heavy crack is one of the factors I used in attributing it as a S-139, they have that heavy crack. Quote from Penny Whimsy: "
Sheldon 139 - "Usually seen with a heavy crack from the border to the hair, and from the same point on the border through the lowest curl to the middle of 1."

R

rich zac

:DWell go to Okla. last weeken and cuzs tell me a 2nd cuz while arrowhead hunting toke his metal dec. got a hit and dug up a old safe .got help to load it from his Dad and opened it find old paper money from the 1870s gold and silver coins legal papers From Illinois, but they are not talking how much money or gold where in the safe.its also some one else having the luck :P but bless them anyway :) :) also i have tree in my back yard north of a small creek it has a perfect hole in the truck about half way up the height no damage to the bark and if you put a compass on the south side it points north through the hole.This creek feeds into the trinty river near downtown Dallas.I live west of Dallas and have been told that mile east of this tree was a indain camp but comercial buildings are there now the ground around have flint chips around when the ground is distrubed. find in my yard alead igot with letters R.R.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing coin and amazing condition!! Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread