A VERY DEEP NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK. MY DEEPEST EVER!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very excited when Big Digger (Brad) told me the corn had been harvested and we could now get to our favorite field for the first time since last year.

However he also told me the stalks had not been worked...were close together...and almost knee high.

This was okay with me because even though the finds rarely pop out anymore here...IF they do...they're either barber or seated.

Last season I hunted here for the first time thanks to Brad getting permission for us.

Before my first hunt at the field I ran into a few fellers' who said they had been hunting this "new to me" site for many years and that the finds had dried up for them.

They also told me what kind of Detectors they ALL were using...and they were not the brand I use...and were also not the model I use...so I was very confident that Brad, Dave, and I could squeeze out a few more keepers.

No offense to anyone...sincerely...you all know me better than that. I have about every brand of detector myself that there is to swing and love them all...but for deep silver...I have my personal favorite for that task.

To sum up last years 5 different hunts at this "hunted out" field for me.....16 Injuns'...7 Barber dimes...4 seated dimes...1 Seated Half Dime...1 Barber Quarter...and a gold ring.

Hunt #6 last year gave up ZERO coins for the 3 of us but there was also a lot of area that we could not get to because of the bean stubble...row positioning...big clods...etc.

I was hopefully optomistic about possibly squeaking out another keeper or two this season.

When I got there I realized how tough it was actually going to be to swing a coil between the narrow rows and close, high stalk stubble as this first pic of Herky shows.

However the ground between the rows was absolutely smashed flat from the combine doing it's work...and this also raised the stalk roots up and out of the way somewhat... so a small coil could be effectively worked between the stalks and rows.

It would be very tedious work with a small coil...but it was the only way I could hunt the field.

I also have complete confidence at hitting extreme depths with my "old skool" 6" Excelerator coil and could work it inbetween the stalk stubble as well as between the rows.

After 3 full hours of silence and bending down only once to dig a nickel sounding hit...I finally got a very deep, high warble from the SE while I was working the 6" coil around and inbetween each and every corn stalk on each side of the row I was walking. It was repeating from every angle...and the depth meter was pegged at the bottom.

I dug down...then dug some more before running the probe.

I was now down right at 7" and the probe was telling me the target was a few inches deeper still.

I even let my best buddy Hercules listen to it.
clapping.gif

I carefully started scraping away dirt until I caught the glimpse of the surface of a dark black disc...and I will honestly say it was laying almost perfectly flat.

I then stuck my Lesche Digger in the hole and touched the surface of the disc so I could measure the depth of it.

The ring I have marked around the handle of my Lesche digger at the 10" mark was exactly aligned with the flat surface of the ground where I dug my hole.

I can honestly say this is my first ever 10" deep coin dug while using the 6" Excelerator coil...so I'm pretty stoked.

I've dug a lot of 9" deep coins over the years with this coil...but up until this point had never dug a true 10" deep one.

A little while later I rescued a dark brown Injun' from 8"...and if you look closely at the top of the dark clod...you'll see it sticking out.

What was strange about the Injun' is that it's the first one from here that has come out of the ground this color. The last 16 all came out corroded and nasty...and in fact I didn't even bother trying to clean them as a date was not even feasable on any of them. I could barely tell they were even Injuns' unless I examined most of them closely and noticed a feather on the front or the wreath on back.

So all in all a wonderful, peaceful hunt that I won't forget...as I found my first 10" deep coin with a small coil...a seated dime with my 6" Excelerator.

Last edited:
Upvote 10
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job ! I'm going to start huntin corn fields ! lol
This one used to be an old fairgrounds in the late 1800's so it's been fun.:headbang:

Great story and congrats on that deep one!
Thanks friend

Great post. I think as long as you have confidence in your machine the soil will be good to you. You obviously had confidence in yours and it shows with your finds. The dog looks happy as well. Beautiful animal.
HH
TnMtns
Thanks my friend. Herky says thanks too:hello2:

Please please submit your pic of Hercules with earphones and attentive look to Western & Eastern Treasure mag or similar one! It would make a great cover! Oh yeah, and include some pics of your fave ever finds including this super-deep dime, so they can run story on you and your dawg! I'm still a novice detectorist but know a great pic when I see one! Andi
Thanks Andi. If you get a copy of the July 2012 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine...I did a field test on a coil...and the main pic has Herky in it with me:hello2:

Nice hunt Bryce! You alway seem to be able to work hard and find something in the difficult to hunt locations. One of these years I might find a seated.

Keep up the hard work and keep showing people how good a Minelab machine can be! My experience shows that no place is hunted out until it has been hunted with a Minelab (my XP Deus has shown that it can find stuff my ETrac can't see, but still not overly confident on the depth, I have dug two 11+ inch silver coins with my ETrac).

Keep on showing us how it is done!!!
Thanks Hardy. Nice to hear from you. I hope all is well with you...and I appreciate the kind words.

Your photos--and finds--are Exceptional!

Cheers,

Buck
Thanks Buck...much appreciated.

Excellent find and an amazing story. Thanks for the information.

I had no idea the 6" coil would hit the 10" mark with the Etrac. I am seriously considering one now...8-)

Keep 'em coming!
Thanks friend. I hit it with my SE...not my E-Trac. Either machine though...the 6" is a sweet coil.

:headbang:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
"What was strange about the Injun' is that it's the first one from here that has come out of the ground this color."

Indian cents from 1859-1864 were composed of a copper & nickel composition. During 1864 they were changed to bronze through 1909. Do you know the date of the cent? It may be one of the older ones.

Thanks for sharing!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome deep finds!! Nice work getting through that field!!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never give up.....Awesome finds..................HH

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, not only do you have success in the metal detecting, your writing skills are fresh, exciting and wonderful to read. Maybe that's why you seem to have this fan club that admires your post. Actually, I don't think that either presidential canidate has the following that you have. But then again, why should they have followers? Nice job and great finds.

Coinhound

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds...is this typical of most corn fields at historical farms? Wow!! I really would love to find my first 1800 anything coin. Great job!! Love your dog!!!8-)

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
To sum up last years 5 different hunts at this "hunted out" field for me.....16 Injuns'...7 Barber dimes...4 seated dimes...1 Seated Half Dime...1 Barber Quarter...and a gold ring.

Great finds and nice going sticking to that field. Paying off big time. Like the dog photos! Infact one of them looks familier....
forum021.jpg

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"What was strange about the Injun' is that it's the first one from here that has come out of the ground this color."

Indian cents from 1859-1864 were composed of a copper & nickel composition. During 1864 they were changed to bronze through 1909. Do you know the date of the cent? It may be one of the older ones.
No...this was a 1904 I believe. That's why I was puzzled.

Awesome deep finds!! Nice work getting through that field!!
Thanks friend

Never give up.....Awesome finds..................HH
Thanks GR61

Wow, not only do you have success in the metal detecting, your writing skills are fresh, exciting and wonderful to read. Maybe that's why you seem to have this fan club that admires your post. Actually, I don't think that either presidential canidate has the following that you have. But then again, why should they have followers? Nice job and great finds.

Coinhound
Thanks coinhound. I truly appreciate your kind words.:occasion14:

Wow, very well done. Job is impressed with your patience.
Thanks joker

Very nice finds...is this typical of most corn fields at historical farms? Wow!! I really would love to find my first 1800 anything coin. Great job!! Love your dog!!!8-)
Thanks bethisa2j. This particular field was once a fairgrounds back in the late 1800's...so that's why the oldies are hidin' there. PS: Herky says thanks:hello:

Nice job not giving up! Good finds too! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks Dave,

Great finds and nice going sticking to that field. Paying off big time. Like the dog photos! Infact one of them looks familier....
View attachment 684282
Thanks turf_aholic. That pic of your hunting buddy is GREAT
:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions