A VERY DEEP NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK. MY DEEPEST EVER!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very excited when Big Digger (Brad) told me the corn had been harvested and we could now get to our favorite field for the first time since last year.

However he also told me the stalks had not been worked...were close together...and almost knee high.

This was okay with me because even though the finds rarely pop out anymore here...IF they do...they're either barber or seated.

Last season I hunted here for the first time thanks to Brad getting permission for us.

Before my first hunt at the field I ran into a few fellers' who said they had been hunting this "new to me" site for many years and that the finds had dried up for them.

They also told me what kind of Detectors they ALL were using...and they were not the brand I use...and were also not the model I use...so I was very confident that Brad, Dave, and I could squeeze out a few more keepers.

No offense to anyone...sincerely...you all know me better than that. I have about every brand of detector myself that there is to swing and love them all...but for deep silver...I have my personal favorite for that task.

To sum up last years 5 different hunts at this "hunted out" field for me.....16 Injuns'...7 Barber dimes...4 seated dimes...1 Seated Half Dime...1 Barber Quarter...and a gold ring.

Hunt #6 last year gave up ZERO coins for the 3 of us but there was also a lot of area that we could not get to because of the bean stubble...row positioning...big clods...etc.

I was hopefully optomistic about possibly squeaking out another keeper or two this season.

When I got there I realized how tough it was actually going to be to swing a coil between the narrow rows and close, high stalk stubble as this first pic of Herky shows.

However the ground between the rows was absolutely smashed flat from the combine doing it's work...and this also raised the stalk roots up and out of the way somewhat... so a small coil could be effectively worked between the stalks and rows.

It would be very tedious work with a small coil...but it was the only way I could hunt the field.

I also have complete confidence at hitting extreme depths with my "old skool" 6" Excelerator coil and could work it inbetween the stalk stubble as well as between the rows.

After 3 full hours of silence and bending down only once to dig a nickel sounding hit...I finally got a very deep, high warble from the SE while I was working the 6" coil around and inbetween each and every corn stalk on each side of the row I was walking. It was repeating from every angle...and the depth meter was pegged at the bottom.

I dug down...then dug some more before running the probe.

I was now down right at 7" and the probe was telling me the target was a few inches deeper still.

I even let my best buddy Hercules listen to it.
clapping.gif

I carefully started scraping away dirt until I caught the glimpse of the surface of a dark black disc...and I will honestly say it was laying almost perfectly flat.

I then stuck my Lesche Digger in the hole and touched the surface of the disc so I could measure the depth of it.

The ring I have marked around the handle of my Lesche digger at the 10" mark was exactly aligned with the flat surface of the ground where I dug my hole.

I can honestly say this is my first ever 10" deep coin dug while using the 6" Excelerator coil...so I'm pretty stoked.

I've dug a lot of 9" deep coins over the years with this coil...but up until this point had never dug a true 10" deep one.

A little while later I rescued a dark brown Injun' from 8"...and if you look closely at the top of the dark clod...you'll see it sticking out.

What was strange about the Injun' is that it's the first one from here that has come out of the ground this color. The last 16 all came out corroded and nasty...and in fact I didn't even bother trying to clean them as a date was not even feasable on any of them. I could barely tell they were even Injuns' unless I examined most of them closely and noticed a feather on the front or the wreath on back.

So all in all a wonderful, peaceful hunt that I won't forget...as I found my first 10" deep coin with a small coil...a seated dime with my 6" Excelerator.

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job brother!! :occasion14: Try cleaning up that dime with the aluminum foil trick. SMS me if you don't know what I'm talking about.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. And the dog looks like he was having a grand time too.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats and what a great story, Bryce. :hello2: How sweet to pull out such a deep coin. I've hunted that knee deep corn stubble and it is definitely a challenge. :tongue3: Glad you were rewarded for your persistence. :icon_thumleft:

HH
p.s. Love Hercules and the headphones. :laughing7:

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coins Bryce!

I have to say you are one of the most accomplished dectorist's I have seen here on the forums.

Congrats and hats off! :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work pulling out those keepers! Way to go! :icon_thumleft:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
man bryce! i miss how well you do a post. nice finds and even better story. willy

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score !

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive always read your posts since ive been on TN-i really enjoy your posts and finds but but mostly the story and lesson behind it. i pretty much learned about finding deep coins from your posts a few years back. always enjoyed your ST Louis park hunts. congrats and HH!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job brother!! :occasion14: Try cleaning up that dime with the aluminum foil trick. SMS me if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Thanks bro...much appreciated.

Nice. And the dog looks like he was having a grand time too.
Thanks Susan...and yes...Herky always has a great time.:angel7:

excellent job!
Thanks friend

Great job Bryce! :icon_thumright:
Thanks friend. Nice to hear from you again.

Wow, congrats and what a great story, Bryce. :hello2: How sweet to pull out such a deep coin. I've hunted that knee deep corn stubble and it is definitely a challenge. :tongue3: Glad you were rewarded for your persistence. :icon_thumleft:

HH
p.s. Love Hercules and the headphones. :laughing7:
Thanks Anne. Yeah...the cornstalks were rough on this old cat.:laughing7:
Herky says Thanks for the appreciating his "listening capabilities" caught on film. Take care Anne.

Nice coins Bryce!

I have to say you are one of the most accomplished dectorist's I have seen here on the forums.

Congrats and hats off! :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:
Thanks for the kind words my friend. It's all about fun for me.

Great work pulling out those keepers! Way to go! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated

You have to go deep very well done.
Thanks

man bryce! i miss how well you do a post. nice finds and even better story. willy
Thanks Willy. Much appreciated...and nice to hear from you.

Nice score !
Thanks friend.

ive always read your posts since ive been on TN-i really enjoy your posts and finds but but mostly the story and lesson behind it. i pretty much learned about finding deep coins from your posts a few years back. always enjoyed your ST Louis park hunts. congrats and HH!
Thanks for letting me know, friend. That means a lot to me. Good luck on your next hunt.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job ! I'm going to start huntin corn fields ! lol

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and congrats on that deep one!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. I think as long as you have confidence in your machine the soil will be good to you. You obviously had confidence in yours and it shows with your finds. The dog looks happy as well. Beautiful animal.
HH
TnMtns

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Please please submit your pic of Hercules with earphones and attentive look to Western & Eastern Treasure mag or similar one! It would make a great cover! Oh yeah, and include some pics of your fave ever finds including this super-deep dime, so they can run story on you and your dawg! I'm still a novice detectorist but know a great pic when I see one! Andi

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Bryce! You alway seem to be able to work hard and find something in the difficult to hunt locations. One of these years I might find a seated.

Keep up the hard work and keep showing people how good a Minelab machine can be! My experience shows that no place is hunted out until it has been hunted with a Minelab (my XP Deus has shown that it can find stuff my ETrac can't see, but still not overly confident on the depth, I have dug two 11+ inch silver coins with my ETrac).

Keep on showing us how it is done!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your photos--and finds--are Exceptional!

Cheers,

Buck

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find and an amazing story. Thanks for the information.

I had no idea the 6" coil would hit the 10" mark with the Etrac. I am seriously considering one now...8-)

Keep 'em coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread