The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again ... this day started out with a plan . I was to head down to Tims neck of the woods and meet him and Jeff at a restaurant . So when I arrived the two of them were filling there faces with a nice home cooked breakfast .....It looked good so I had to have some hash browns for a quick fix and then we just headed out to that field..... where we hoped to find the area that the Horse track had been. After a couple of hours and a few meager finds we headed back to the truck anddiscussed what we had missed or if we had the right area.

P9270005 Large Web view.jpg

So now that the plans have changed we decide to head down the road to an old cellar hole I noticed along the road on private property....asking permission was not a problem the people were very nice and let us detect without a problem .......but again we found nothing .......I happen to find a Silver buckle , but there was just to much garbage everywhere......!

P9290040 Large Web view.jpg

Now that we took a break and had something to eat for lunch , we now decided to head down to Allegheny county to hunt the farm fields that (Bob) the farmer and land owner gave me permission to hunt . This area has given up plenty of early colonial coppers, large cents and early Relics and Buttons. So with the day starting to get late and already 2:00 pm ....Tim decided to call it the day .......So rather than call it the day ourselves. Jeff and I decide to go to the Farm field and give it a go , and I am so glad I did because when we got there , no more than 10 minutes went by when I got this good hit down very deep. So I started digging.... the ground was still wet from all the rain we had so it made for some easy digging . I had dug down about 12 inches

P9280013 Large Web view.jpg

and as I swung the coil over the hole I now had a very nice sound and I just know this was going to be good........But what I saw on the next shovel of dirt was just amazing ....a large silver coin on edge, so I just called to Jeff " you have to see this" .......Now I never found a Bust Half so this was not only a first for me but a heart pumping find! An 1835 Capped Bust half I could not believe it.......

P9290022 Large Web view.jpg

P9290023 Large Web view.jpg

There are still coins here! They are deep but you never know when your going to hit them. Plus being only 30 feet from the road in an area that I really never gave much attention , surely surprised me with my first bust half! After all this I just have to do one thing .......and thats to thank Bob the land owner for the opportunity he has given me and my friends to hunt this very old area!

Thanks and Happy Hunting

The Seeker

Attachments

• P9280014 Large Web view.jpg
    P9280014 Large Web view.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6,528
  • P9290028 Large Web view.jpg
    P9290028 Large Web view.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6,634
  • P9290024 Large Web view.jpg
    P9290024 Large Web view.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 6,684
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FIND Seeker, really GREAT!! I have never found a Busted coin yet, but I still have a few good years to hunt yet, you never know. That is one Sweet Lady you found there.

Thanks for sharing your finds and pictures with us.

HH, Ringfinder

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker...Totally FANTASTIC find!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I'm still waiting on my first bust coin of any kind, and I'd be ecstatic finding a bust half like yours!!!! Great job on the research and getting permission, and kudos for thanking the landowner and showing your appreciation for his kindness in letting you hunt his property!!! Look forward to seeing many more posts from that site, you;ve had some great finds out of there...keep it going...:):)

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PERSISTENCE PAID OFF BIG TIME........................

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,830
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,841

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful half! I am happy for you. Tsgman

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Good Lord! Congratulations!!!

Very impressive. It takes a lot of patience to walk out on a huge field like that and tease out coins. I've never done it but posts like this one make me want to try!

Ridley

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream Seeker said:
Its a very lovely coin and I am sure you were thrilled beyond words . It great that you have hunting buddies to share these places and finds with!
Do you ever find any old bottles when you visit these old fields?

Thanks for the kind words Dream Seeker.........You know something! Hunting with friends is what makes this hobby so great! Most of the people in this forum love treasure Hunting. No matter where they hunt there is always the thrill of finding that one Relic or Coin that you have been searching for for quite some time. With me ......Hunting Old sites from the 1700's to the 1800's has been my passion. I just love the old Colonial History as well as the early American wars. So sharing those places with friends of mine is what gives me the most pleasure and watching them find some nice items also is what this Hobby is all about! ;)

Plus most of the bottles that are found are broken........its very rare to find intact ones , but we have at times. I plan on digging a few of the old out houses sometime in the future .....They will be a challenge to find but with some luck I will find them. The " two old cellar hole " site I posted about is the first on the list. Many of the glass fragments that were found were from early Blown glass bottles. So maybe a few were tossed in the privy and are still intact! ;D

Thanks again

The Seeker

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!
Great coin!
Nothing like the rush you get when you see the edge of a large silver coin at that depth.

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Seeker .... thought you should know that you are just KILLING me with these kind of finds up there !!

I lived in Upstate N.Y. ( the burbs, outside of Rochester ) for 26 years. Sure wish I had gotten into detecting back then as I may not have ever left !! :D Here in Mississippi, there are just not enough Honey Holes to go around as up north has. Next year, when I visit Spencerport again, I am SURE to bring a detector or 2 with me !! ( I know of an old property that was a Ice Skating rink back from around 1890-1920 up there, not to mention almost ALL the sidestreets have SIDEWALKS. )

Promise me to stay the heck out of there untill I can have a crack at them. ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread