The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again ... this day started out with a plan . I was to head down to Tims neck of the woods and meet him and Jeff at a restaurant . So when I arrived the two of them were filling there faces with a nice home cooked breakfast .....It looked good so I had to have some hash browns for a quick fix and then we just headed out to that field..... where we hoped to find the area that the Horse track had been. After a couple of hours and a few meager finds we headed back to the truck anddiscussed what we had missed or if we had the right area.

P9270005 Large Web view.jpg

So now that the plans have changed we decide to head down the road to an old cellar hole I noticed along the road on private property....asking permission was not a problem the people were very nice and let us detect without a problem .......but again we found nothing .......I happen to find a Silver buckle , but there was just to much garbage everywhere......!

P9290040 Large Web view.jpg

Now that we took a break and had something to eat for lunch , we now decided to head down to Allegheny county to hunt the farm fields that (Bob) the farmer and land owner gave me permission to hunt . This area has given up plenty of early colonial coppers, large cents and early Relics and Buttons. So with the day starting to get late and already 2:00 pm ....Tim decided to call it the day .......So rather than call it the day ourselves. Jeff and I decide to go to the Farm field and give it a go , and I am so glad I did because when we got there , no more than 10 minutes went by when I got this good hit down very deep. So I started digging.... the ground was still wet from all the rain we had so it made for some easy digging . I had dug down about 12 inches

P9280013 Large Web view.jpg

and as I swung the coil over the hole I now had a very nice sound and I just know this was going to be good........But what I saw on the next shovel of dirt was just amazing ....a large silver coin on edge, so I just called to Jeff " you have to see this" .......Now I never found a Bust Half so this was not only a first for me but a heart pumping find! An 1835 Capped Bust half I could not believe it.......

P9290022 Large Web view.jpg

P9290023 Large Web view.jpg

There are still coins here! They are deep but you never know when your going to hit them. Plus being only 30 feet from the road in an area that I really never gave much attention , surely surprised me with my first bust half! After all this I just have to do one thing .......and thats to thank Bob the land owner for the opportunity he has given me and my friends to hunt this very old area!

Thanks and Happy Hunting

The Seeker

Attachments

• P9290024 Large Web view.jpg
    P9290024 Large Web view.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 6,685
  • P9290028 Large Web view.jpg
    P9290028 Large Web view.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6,635
  • P9280014 Large Web view.jpg
    P9280014 Large Web view.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6,529
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: It was deep...but well worth the digging! 1835

As always your finds are absolutely outstanding. The work and research you guys put into a place really pays off. That silver buckle is great and many congrats on your first Capped bust....she is beautiful....The pics are great ....just like being there. ....But easy digging? at twelve inches? You call that easy?

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE

WOW!!!! Draped Bust Half at 12 inches!!! Amazing coin and you gotta love it when a plan comes together.
Super find.
HH
Mark G

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that looks like a perfect place to have our Spring hunt, John! ;D

Many congratulations on that find! I would have been doin that happy dance after diggin that!!!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Nana :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, amazing find there. A dream find really. Very cool!
Congrats on your awesome Draped Bust Treasure John!!

Smiles!
BDoo

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats the Veal Parmesan and a bottle of wine

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
Awesome finds seeker!Most people will never have a chance to find something like that.Not in my neck of the woods anyway......Cool post and pic's .........hh rh :o

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
A pretty coin and a great find! I found an 1831 bust half in the Spring about 3" down and wondered just how significant a loss this must have been to someone. Was it a day's pay, or several days? And how did he explain it to his wife? Your picture is now desktop on my computer.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i can only imagine how you felt when you found that !!! wow,, ;D ;D ;D ;D there's one for the books...

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whoa-that coin right there has been on my wish list for four years, absolutely beautiful! i can't tell you how jealous i am...truly, congratulations, you'll never forget that one-
steve

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find! I'd love to find a bust coin someday. Keep working those sites that have been hunted heavily and that have really produced, sometimes they just never seem to quit. Congrats again on the first! HH

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Sweet day wasnt seeker? At least i got to see it coming out of the ground. I went to bed and dreamed Santa left me a Mine Lab under my x-mas tree, but then i woke up and realized that wont happen. I guess it will come when the goverment gives me back the extra money I let them borrow from my taxes.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
You ever get out this way like you planned? Or is that where you found this beauty!? Very nice. When you come out let me know.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Hey Seeker, Congratulations On Finding A Capped Bust Half. It's A Beautiful Coin And One That Few Will Ever Find. I Can Only Imagine What It Felt Like Seeing That Large Silver In the Hole. That's A Coin I've Been Dreaming To Find. As A Matter Of Fact, I've Yet To Dig A Half Dollar Of Any Kind. Man I Wish They Had Fields That Large In My Area Of Long Island. Great Work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread