Silver Coin spill...2 wheats...and a token make for a great hour hunt!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I spoke too soon this weekend when I mentioned not finding any silver yet. :laughing7: I had an hour to kill today so I hit an old parking area in the woods where people once had picnics. I figured if there was ever a site to get lucky with first time silver, this would be it. If this site was never detected it should yield some great results...... and sure enough I hit SILVER and a pocket spill at that in the first 5 minutes!! I was convinced at first that they would be much older, but it's all good.

All three were 1964 Washington’s & a 1965 within a few inches of each other buried 2-3 inches deep. The quarters must've been fairly new when lost because they are in absolutely great shape. It was awesome seeing the E-trac screen showing silver for the first time.

A few feet over a 1933 and 1940 wheat and some clad as well as a NYC Transit Token that says "good for one fare"

Great day out, first time silver, finally!!
HH

1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG all.JPG all2.JPG

Since it's my first time, I did a short video with 2 full digs of the silvers, I'll upload to youtube tonight and post the link.

Thanks guys

Upvote 3

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: great hour indeed congrats:occasion14:

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to see a fellow Jerseyite score the silver. Leave some for me, though.

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long have you been detecting? Congrats on your first silver. I'm kinda new to MDing too, I have found a couple of mercs, one Rosevelt dime and a war nickel; no quarters yet though. All within the first couple of weeks. I have only been Mding for about 6 weeks and can't get enough of it, been out 4 to 5 hours a day. How do you like your E-trac I want to get one in the spring, just wondering how your liking it so far?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that token. I love digging Tokens. Tokens, old silver, and wheats are my favorite.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
strateloss

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long have you been detecting? Congrats on your first silver. I'm kinda new to MDing too, I have found a couple of mercs, one Rosevelt dime and a war nickel; no quarters yet though. All within the first couple of weeks. I have only been Mding for about 6 weeks and can't get enough of it, been out 4 to 5 hours a day. How do you like your E-trac I want to get one in the spring, just wondering how your liking it so far?

Honestly about 2 1/2 months more or less. I have a Bounty Hunter Platinum that I used for the first 2 months. I was hooked after the first few days and decided to get a better machine. Not that the BH didn't do its job, I found tons of clad and a 18k gold ring using it, but many of the areas and parks that I hunt are iron infested. The BH did a great job discriminating in the first couple inches which did take some work in itself, but after that it was just noise. Also most parks and public areas where I live have been pounded to death the last 30 years so finding silver is no easy task. That is of course unless you're on private land. So after watching countless vids and lots of reading I wanted an E-trac badly. I love the sounds it makes and the discrimination is awesome!! Keep in mind the weight, not that it's a big deal, but after swinging my old machine hours on end, I didn't realize how light it was until I bought the minelab. You should definitely pick one up. Just make sure you watch plenty of youtube vids so you get a real good idea what the sounds are like. I haven't heard any negative comments on the minelab sounds but I've read a lot about people not liking certain sounds some md's can make.

Whatever machine you decide to go with, good luck!!

HH

OP
OP
strateloss

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Keith Lenahan

Sep 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, it is a thrill turning over a plug and seeing a shiny coin, you know it's silver right away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread