2nd Merc found last night.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Went home last night after work and hit the park at around 7pm. Went for a clad night and wasn't really hitting much clad. My BH was behaving strangely. It had somehow forgotten how to discriminate, but had gained some never before seen depth. Anyhow, an hour went by and all I had was a penny and a quarter. I decided to move off to a different spot where I got a signal I swore was a quarter. It had a large signature. To my suprise, this merc came out of it at around 4". Weird thing about this is that when I had the soil in my hand and I was passing it over the coil, the signal was not consistent. I thought I had a little piece of metal. This one is in better shape than the first one I found a few days ago. Lost camera, had a collegue here at work scan it for me. Waiting on that ACE 250 in the mail!

Attachments

• 1945coin.jpg
    1945coin.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Aren't mercs great........I still occsionally "bond" with the one I found.

Pet it, talk to it.....ask it to help me find it's older sisters etc. ;D

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
It's dark here in NYC by 5 also........I carry a flashlight. I've stayed out detecting 'till 12am a few times since I started this hobby about a month ago.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
You're out in park at night in the Bronx? :o You are brave. Congrats on the 2nd Merc. I live in NJ and work in Manhattan.Not too far away.
Cheers,Mike in NJ

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
I work in Manhattan also Mike. I just keep my eyes open anywhere I go :)

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Nice luck, what do you use for lights? I thought about taking my head lamp and my Mag light (Velcro to my detector shaft) just in case I hit a great area and it starts getting dark out. I thought it might look odd to someone seeing a flashlight going back and forth. HH

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Sweet merc,those little things are hard to get a grasp on sometimes. I also hunt at night a lot,was out til almost 8 tonight. I sometimes have a flashlight with me but I find that I rarely use it. MD'n is mainly about the sound,though my detector has a backlight so I guess I would use a light a lot more without the backlight. I like to hunt ballparks and soccer fields at night,they are wide open,no hills or much to trip over...HH

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
Old Abe said:
Nice luck, what do you use for lights? I thought about taking my head lamp and my Mag light (Velcro to my detector shaft) just in case I hit a great area and it starts getting dark out. I thought it might look odd to someone seeing a flashlight going back and forth. HH

I just bought something like this to attach to my Ace 250. That should provide enough light to see the display, though I haven't tried it yet. The batteries last hundreds of hours and are cheap to replace. It is lightweight and bright.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coast-LED-Lenser-360-Flex-Flashlight-Light-LL7582-NIB_W0QQitemZ320031940714QQihZ011QQcategoryZ106987QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Combined with the white LED in my PinPointer, I should be good to go.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Mercury!

I tried a little night detecting myself but between swinging the dectector and pulling the light along I was getting tired ;) :P

Johnny

Attachments

• hptower_sm.jpg
    hptower_sm.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 161

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Congratulations. When you get your ACE you will be digging lots of those little lady's.

My partner who uses a ACE 250, as I do, has a knack for finding silver dimes, or any dimes. I don't know, I
think he just has an ear for them. I find my share but not as many as he does.

Thanks for the post, also hope you are using a probe with your detector. You are going to need it with the
ACE. It will go deep and a probe is a must, heck with any detector. Also a good headset is a must.

HH<Ringfinder

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
I see a lot of Ace 250 owners finding tons of silver dimes, Garrett should change the name of the unit to the "Silver Dime Master Blaster". For the money I think it is the best detector out there. Probably matches up to the 800.00 machines. Abe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions