my first V nickel and lessons learned...

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
So I'm hunting a trashy campfire area and got the discrimination cranked. I know I'll miss clad nickels and gold, etc, but what ya gonna do? So I see a coin on a wash out trail and notice it didn't get a beep. I turn the disc way down until it does and then pick it up. I knew it was old but had to figure it out later. Turns out to be a V nickel, 1899 I think. The worst or best part about it was I spotted it with my naked eye!

ForumRunner_20121008_144333.png

Upvote 2

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm just starting out and have been told by others and read to turn descrimination up. I always thought you would miss stuff. I think I'm going to start adhering more to the dig everything, as frustrating as that can be!

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yeah, I do a little of each depending on the site, my mood, and how much time I have. I'm running a tesoro cibola somewhat super tuned to get depth, as I've hunted the area with a bounty hunter quite a bit already. Sometimes though, an area can be so trashed with not only pull tabs but melted aluminium bits, and I tend to get a little heavy handed on the discrimination. But, the treasure I'm missing won't always be in plain view.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm hunting a trashy campfire area and got the discrimination cranked. I know I'll miss clad nickels and gold, etc, but what ya gonna do? So I see a coin on a wash out trail and notice it didn't get a beep. I turn the disc way down until it does and then pick it up. I knew it was old but had to figure it out later. Turns out to be a V nickel, 1899 I think. The worst or best part about it was I spotted it with my naked eye!

Nice find in any case.

Just curious though, can you give any more info on things like what the ground was like? How mineralized? What machine? What did you have to turn down to to pick up?

Good eye and a great lesson! Remember it.

HH!

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
It wasn't mineralized ground really, just a sandy washed out trail going steeply into a pond. I found other coins along the same wash out (clad). I was running a Cibola with the threshold and sensitivity turned up and the discrimination at about 3 or 4:00, which is way above the tab mark. I turned it down to the 5cent mark to get a flat and solid signal - just real quick. However, knowing these coins are 75% copper I may try and replicate the situation. Maybe I hadn't gone over it squarely in the first place. Will check.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cibola (my FAVORITE coin hunter), is one of the Best discriminating machines on the market - in my never humble opinion. I supertune it on every hunt, and set my discrimination just below Nickel, so I won't miss gold. If you keep it set just below nickel, and have it supertuned (Sensitivity and Threshold as high as possible in your soil without chattering), you will be amazed at the depth of your finds. High output circuitry is "H.O.T.!"

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Awesome to hear. I love the super tuning. Been pulling some deep coins (mostly pennies) from beach sands. Definitely deeper than I'm used to so I've been rehunting old sites successfully. Can't wait for the gold

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to not miss anything is to dig it all. I keep my disc just above the iron range, and I dig it all...even tiny bits of aluminum foil. But, then again, I'm hunting in sites where I am apt to find pewter and tombac buttons. If you're coinshooting and searching for gold jewelry, you'd be safe to keep your disc a little higher (just under nickel), but what about that one dollar gold piece? Or that gold charm or earring? The only way to know what your detector can and can't do is to dig as much as you can. It's why I don't use a meter at all. IMO meters exist just to help tell you when Not to dig...and I've dug great targets that didn't read like anything diggable. I've dug Civil War bullets that whispered at me like an iron nail, and large cents out from under cast iron cooking pot chunks that made them sound like crap. I got a half dime this spring that was deep and on edge and sounded like a piece of buckshot, and a Confederate button that sounded like tin foil that was up against a nail.

Dig it up, or leave it for the next guy. All detectorists are different, but I like to sleep at night, rather than wonder what I missed.

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. Just shows it pays to keep your eyes open.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a 1944 D Wheatie the other day on the surface at a street tear - out. Didn't even have to dig for it or swing the coil over it! Nice find! Still looking to get some more old nickels.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yeah,, this is basically my oldest coin now. Big, red and ugly

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Hey guys, thanks for the advice - it worked for me today

ForumRunner_20121011_204657.png

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find. hope you haven't passed over too much gold with the disc turned up that high

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yeah, anyways I just heard that its actually illegal to discriminate now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread