Found this coin yesterday, no idea what it is...

b0v13

Greenie
Oct 9, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting and found this coin yesterday (5th time out) about 8-10 inches down. I'm having a hard time cleaning it or what's left of it. Had it in peroxide overnight and it's still a mess. I know nothing about coins and was hoping one of you might know what it is? I believe it's made of copper. These are the best photos I'm getting with my phone (not the best macro) and will reshoot it later if someone out there thinks it will help. There's a bust on the front facing to the left and nothing identifiable on the back. Any tips for further cleaning the crud off of it would be appreciated also. THANKS!! ~b.

Attachments

• coin - dirty 1.jpg
    coin - dirty 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 149
  • coin - dirty 2.jpg
    coin - dirty 2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 152
  • coin - face.jpg
    coin - face.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 151
  • coin - back.jpg
    coin - back.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 154
  • coin - size.jpg
    coin - size.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 4

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a King George Copper! Nice find, welcome to the 1700's!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be a CT or other state copper too, I'm not the expert. Que Iron Patch :)

R.Ezell

Greenie
Oct 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it looks like a George II Copper. Great find.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks 1700's to me... Could be one of the State Coppers or a King George, but let the other experts determine that.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King George II. Looks to be a Regal example. (Made by "The Crown") Congrats............Hogge

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin, you need to heat the peroxide for one minuate in a glass dish in the microwave then put the coin in the dish and watch it boil until bubbles stop twenty to thirty minuates.
Repeat until clean, you won't hurt the coin or the patina doing this. If you have any questions pm em.Leprechaun.:leprechaun-hat:

OP
OP
b0v13

b0v13

Greenie
Oct 9, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks for the help!! Still haven't found silver or gold yet (hoping a small lid I found and just posted is tho) but this is a pretty good start!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks for the help!! Still haven't found silver or gold yet (hoping a small lid I found and just posted is tho) but this is a pretty good start!!

Welcome to the educational journey. That's what metal detecting really is. Education and public relations. If you're open to improving your skills at talking to people, and interesting in learning, you will do well. My advice for new detectorists that live in areas with lots of history is to post everything old you find, no matter how insignificant it might seem. There are often valuable relics that can easily be dismissed as junk, and the experienced diggers on here will chime in and identify anything you've missed. Plus, it's great to see what folks are finding, rather than just a coin or relic with no context in the form of other finds.

Great coin you dug there! A King George copper is still on my list after 20 years of digging, and you can see by my finds that it isn't for lack of trying. Just never lived in an area where they circulated as much as they did up North. Congrats and Happy Hunting!

-Buck

OP
OP
b0v13

b0v13

Greenie
Oct 9, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have everything I've dug in my bag and will be happy to photograph it all. I've been enjoying this forum for quite some time as a guest and am constantly blown away by all the awesome stuff people find. I'll include everything from here out and not worry about boring more experienced diggers with junk. Thanks BB!

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible find. What a way to get started in this hobby. I wish you much luck in the future.

Coinhound

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A definite King George II copper. Baltimore, MD has huge potential for Colonial. I would hit your area hard.

Kirk

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have everything I've dug in my bag and will be happy to photograph it all. I've been enjoying this forum for quite some time as a guest and am constantly blown away by all the awesome stuff people find. I'll include everything from here out and not worry about boring more experienced diggers with junk. Thanks BB!

I'm never bored by junk. Sometimes it's interesting--and valuable junk! :)

Cheers,

Buck

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A early KG great find :icon_thumleft: i bet there is more . HH Jim

Top Member Reactions