Roman Constantine I coin Found on ebay (uncleaned coins)

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi All,

Purchased 10 uncleaned roman coins on ebay for $19.00 plus 5.00 shipping. Only a couple of them were readable. Here is the best one. If there are any ancient coin buffs out there I would really like to know how rare or valuable this is. The coin is the size of a dime.

Found some info on the internet but no indication of value or rarity.

The info is:

Constantine I "the Great"
as Augustus AD 307 - 337
AE AE 3 - Half Centenionalis

Obverse: IMP CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG - Helmeted laureate bust right, cuirassed.
Reverse: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP - Two Victories facing and inscribing VOT PR on shield placed on altar.
Mint marks:
exergue - PT
Ticinum mint: AD 318

References: CoinsCatalog.com ID 3071

Thanks in advance!
SoupBone

Attachments

• Constantine I.JPG
    Constantine I.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Constantine I victories.JPG
    Constantine I victories.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 980
Upvote 0

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
I was considering getting a few lots of those...just for keepsake to have something that old....how did you clean them? are they the real thing?

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Yes they are the real deal. This one had 1700 years of crust on it. Cleaned in soapy water first. Then put in olive oil. Then used toothbrush and an eyeglasses screwdriver to lightly pick off the dirt. Carful to not scratch the patina!

Need info though. I think this one is valuable.

Soupbone

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I know absolutely nothing about ancient coinage. It looks cool, and it's old. Pretty much my expertise right there. Good luck with that!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Very cool looking coin. Hope to get an ancient coin someday. Most likely had my best chance when I lived in Germany. Will have to purchase one someday. Would be a nice piece for a collection.

Rev

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Update: Found one like mine last night online (I do not remember the website). Looked almost exactly like it for $7500.00. My hair stood on end!

WOW

Soupbone

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Soup, Looks like the helmets or hats are different, just comparing the picture that you gave in the link!!! Nascarfan

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Soup! Was just looking at your coin there. Looks to me like the crest from the head gear rises into the plane where the text should be and that it is of a different style. Have you had this checked by a reputable coin guru? Hope its genuine. GL!!
I am no coin collector either. I was just wondering.
Laater...

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
I have found by looking online that a lot of the coins that have this similar design are not all exactly alike. They were made in different locations (mints) way back then. The one in the picture was created at the Rome mint and mine was created at the Ticinum mint. But they were created around the same time AD 318 I think.

Soupbone

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
SoupBone said:
No such luck. Beware.. most of the coins were just discs with no image.
Soupbone

Ya, that kinda sucks. I have some soaking but can tell a lot of them are blank.
It's kind of a fun gamble though. there is one I am still verry curious to see how it turns out.

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Would probably fetch about 12-15 bucks on Ebay. The first coin on Zach Beasley's (BeastCoins) page is the famed "Pannonian Hat" Constantine. It is a true anomaly and indeed a wonderful archaeological find. Because of that hat, Beast paid a hefty sum for that coin. The coin you are referring to is a very rare "Solidus" of Constantine the Great (Solid Gold). All gold coinage of this emperor is very rare and commands a high premium. Your coin is bronze. If it were gold and in a similar condition, I suspect it would fetch around $2000.00 US. The VLPP series are relatively common; however, not as common as the "FEL TEMP REPARATIO" or "GLORIA-EXERCITVS" standard types. Here is a similar example in my collection. I payed about 35.00 for this coin. I'll also attach a link to my collection online at Ancients.info just in case you want to reference it. There are also many other collectors on this site with 500 x the knowledge that I have on the subject.

http://www.ancients.info/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/351/cat/500

Gunner

Attachments

• GC VLPP.jpg
    GC VLPP.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 829

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to get a good readable roman coin .I think I have dug about 15 in the last three years and most of the ones I find are unreadable.I am only an hours drive from Trier but it is very illegal to hunt there. :'( That is a real nice one you have there.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Thanks everyone for the priceless info on my coin. This is such a great forum. Just the history behind Constantine I "The Great" make this coin one to keep. He was as I understand the first Christian Roman ruler. Here is some info:

In spite of the overwhelming numbers of his enemy (an estimated 100,000 in Maxentius' army against 20,000 in Constantine's army) the emperor confidently marched forward to Rome. A vision had assured him that he should conquer in the sign of the Christ, and his warriors carried Christ's monogram on their shields, though the majority of them were pagans. The opposing forces met near the bridge over the Tiber called the Milvian Bridge, and here Maxentius' troops suffered a complete defeat, the tyrant himself losing his life in the Tiber (28 October, 312). Of his gratitude to the God of the Christians the victor immediately gave convincing proof; the Christian worship was henceforth tolerated throughout the empire (Edict of Milan, early in 313). His enemies he treated with the greatest magnanimity; no bloody executions followed the victory of the Milvian Bridge. Constantine stayed in Rome but a short time after his victory. Proceeding to Milan (end of 312, or beginning of 313) he met his colleague the Augustus Licinius, married his sister to him, secured his protection for the Christians in the East, and promised him support against Maximinus Daia. The last, a bigoted pagan and a cruel tyrant, who persecuted the Christians even after Galerius' death, was now defeated by Licinius, whose soldiers, by his orders, had invoked the God of the Christians on the battle-field (30 April, 313). Maximinus, in his turn, implored the God of the Christians, but died of a painful disease in the following autumn.

Soupbone

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
If anyone will know about your coin, it'll be Gunner.

BTW, on the link that YOU gave, if you scroll down, there's the gold coin that matches yours on down the list. It looks identicle except for the material it's made from.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Here it is after another cleaning. Detais are clearer.

Attachments

• Roman1.JPG
    Roman1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 644
  • Roman2.JPG
    Roman2.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 609

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
Nice coin. I used to buy a lot of uncleaned coins, but have gotten away from it. First lot I ever bought contained a gorgeous Haniballianus. (a nephew of Constantine murdered after his death) Have gotten a few silvers, but they were pretty much junk. IMO, most of the as and sesz size coins are usually smooth, but the smaller coins seem to have the most detail. Keep at it, there's a few good one's to be cleaned. Eric

J

JDSCOIN

Hello Soupbone,

There is a LOT to know and learn about ancient coins for anyone who is just starting out. It is easy to let your imagination run wild and to think that one coin looks like another, etc. But even a little difference can make ALL the difference.

Basically, you have very little chance finding anything of real value in those lots of uncleaned ancient Roman coins which are sold on eBay. And I can tell you a lot of reasons why. Mainly, nearly all of those who are selling them KNOW what they are selling... they are getting rid of "floor sweepings."

Very few of the Constantinian coins (in bronze) are worth much of anything, especially in low grade. And they can tell pretty much what each of those coins are made of, about when they were made (Constantinian era, for example), and so on... even without having to clean them.

I am fairly expert when it comes to ancient Roman coins (particularly Roman Imperial issues) and have written about the subject of what these people do who sell these "unsearched" lots. Perhaps I will write more on the subject. It may not be good news to you to hear that the odds are not in your favor buying those lots; but at least you have learned something. Something that may benefit you in some other way.

What I am saying is that I do not recommend that people buy those lots. If you want to learn about and collect ancient Roman coins then it is going to take time and dedication. And people seem to learn about it better when they do it slowly and buy individual coins which have already been attributed (identified).

BTW, I have an article on ancient coins that you may be interested in. It can be found in the sidebar of my website. Go there and read it if you want to know something that you may not know about ancient coins. Best wishes,

JDSCOIN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread