Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Outside of a single piece of cut spanish silver a couple weeks ago the new season has started out rather slow. In the last few days I was able to get out and check a couple of new sites and hit an old one. I was really excited about one site in particular. It was a c1740 house site that I had researched and gotten permission to hunt. Even better, peanuts were about to be harvested there which would stir up the ground quite a bit and leave nothing but bare dirt which would be great for eyeballing glass, pottery and brick. Myself, my friend Dan, and his father who was in town were checking sites in this county early in the day on Saturday and ended up going back to a pounded site first where both Dan and I had dug spanish silver a couple weeks back. The finds were few there as expected, but I did get one moment of excitement. I heard a deep but hi toned target, and finally after digging about a foot down the last shovelful threw out a large disk that had a silver edge showing. I thought I had scored a nice 2 reale. But I was quite upset that after cleaning the dirt off the coin it revealed a lousy 1952 quarter. Bummer! We then headed out and stopped by the new 1740 site to give it a shot later in the afternoon. We immediately found the iron patch in the field exactly where my research had showed it to be. But our excitement was quickly dampened as all the relics and non-metallic finds we were digging were no older than the turn-of-the-century with the exception of a couple flat buttons. We wandered around in other parts of the field just to make sure we weren't in the wrong spot but came up empty. That was a huge disappointment as we had very high hopes for the site. Seems like in my experience sites that have great potential almost never seem to produce, and all the great ones come totally unexpected. Guess that's what makes this hobby so interesting and unpredictable. Looks like I'll have to wait on the cotton and beans to start coming out before I can get into most of the new areas I'd like to hunt. Of course, by then hunting season will be in full swing which will keep us out of many sites until first of the year. But I'm still confident this will be a good year with all the researched sites I still have to check out, so hopefully I'll have some better finds to post soon. HH to all!

Attachments

• 100612a.JPG
    100612a.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 100612b.JPG
    100612b.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 100612c.JPG
    100612c.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 2

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any one of those signals could have been a nice find Bill. The next beep could be 'the one'!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a nice day of digging and the weather has been good around here locally. Nice looking field tho. HH

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you're getting out Bill. I am 100% positive you're going to be making some amazing finds very soon!

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take the quarter if you don't want it! It's over $6.00 right now. :laughing7:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's strange that nothing turned up at that 1740 site, but knowing you, I expect you to be on another great site any day now.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lot of finds Bill , I know you will have a awesome season as with the last all that research will pay off !

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill D thats a great hunt and at least it was a silver quarter and not clad:laughing7:

You are exactly right about the unexpected sites:icon_thumright:

I almost could not believe what i was hearing its the same deal here..You really gotta work for it..

Looks like a nice buckle frag in the left corner..That must of been a beauty..

Blaze

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions