Good spots?

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going tomorrow to hit the site of a tenant house. It was around from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. They dumped most of their trash in the front, and its still littered with glass and porcelain. All of the areas around it are open. Where near the site of the house would be best? I am mostly interested in coins, but would like to find anything. Front? Sides? Backyard? Thank you. If you need any more details about the site, please ask.

Dihren

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the areas you mentioned are worth checking out.....given the age there should be a few keepers waiting for you.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Problem is that the people who lived there were very poor. I have hit this spot once for about an hour before and got a 1946 dog tag. Still waiting for my first Wheatie! Hoping to get it tomorrow! I found a site with a lot of nails buried a couple inches down. Should I assume that this is the site of the house? The owners told me that the house was disassembled and moved to a different location. Is this area with the nails actually the site of the house, or is it just where they put the nails they removed? Also, would a tenant house of this period have a outhouse? Where do you think it would be located? I appreciate the input.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where all the nails are odds are pretty good there should be some keepers there.....if you can stand the volume of signals it's worth a shot.....you have to remember not all the keepers we find are coins...might be some interesting relics or other trinkets worth finding also.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill from lachine said:
Where all the nails are odds are pretty good there should be some keepers there.....if you can stand the volume of signals it's worth a shot.....you have to remember not all the keepers we find are coins...might be some interesting relics or other trinkets worth finding also.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks! I would never have guess that would be a good spot! Trust me I will take anything! But I have just been metal detecting for a long time with no old coins so I would really like some. But I would take anything I can get! Thank you so much!!!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going tomorrow to hit the site of a tenant house. It was around from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. They dumped most of their trash in the front, and its still littered with glass and porcelain. All of the areas around it are open. Where near the site of the house would be best? I am mostly interested in coins, but would like to find anything. Front? Sides? Backyard? Thank you. If you need any more details about the site, please ask.

Dihren

One thing I've learned in this hobby is "treasure" is never where you think it is, it's where you find it, so everywhere is worth a try. Are you under a time constraint with this place? If not, just cover it in small chunks but cover them thoroughly. If there's old coins, they'll show with due diligence.

HH!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dihren........The most awesome house I ever hunted did not look like it would be all that great. Very old but in a rural area and not all that big. The lady that lived there was elderly and was the 1st generating that had less than 11 children raised in it since her family bought it in 1824. The main part of the home was log but covered with slat-board so didn't look as old as it was. The original deed said North Carolina which means it was there before 1797. Later found it was the oldest occupied residence in Wilson County TN. More coins than you could believe. Almost no modern coins.....tons of indians and my first Large Cent, numerous seated coins etc. Will never forget her saying her family had always been farmers and poor. She said I could look but was sure I would not find much. That was about 20 years ago and it is much tougher to find a virgin yard now. Can't tell till ya start swinging sometimes. Lots of old homes in TN and NC are much older than they appear. Just find some that look older and knock some doors and you will start getting into some better coins. Best of luck on your hunt. :icon_thumleft:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go all metal , go slow and listen for those nice tones inbetween iron signals persistance pays off !

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I am very good friends with the property owners, and they would be happy if I spent the rest of my life detecting there! All metal it is! Haha cant wait to take a picture of all the nails I am going to find (and all of the Wheaties and tokens ;) ) Great story TNGUNS. Thanks for sharing!

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll wish you much luck, but I certainly can't improve on the advice you have already received.

Coinhound

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I would look in coin mode only, dime quarter and half or dollar or both depending on how your heater is set up. Dig only solid repeatable signals. If you get a " knock your ears out signal" lift your coil off the ground, if your still getting it loud and clear then most likely it's a large piece of metal and not a coin. Don't bog yourself down with multiple signals. Concentrate on just one then work your way down. Good luck, you can do it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread