Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an evening hunt yesterday with a buddy on a freshly harvested potatoe field. Easy to walk and dig, nice weather and wet soil like we all like. The second signal when on our way was this beautiful 2th century roman eagle mount from an travel coach. It seems to be a rare find with not many reported and in this condition. The rest of the evening was slow some bits and pieces my buddy got a part of a fibula, part of a roman chest handle and two roman coins and i managed a terret ring for chariot reins, possibly roman too because of the context, but could be also iron age. We have fairly mild weather so we hunted till we quit in darkness...
Here are the finds. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 3 056_800_450.jpg
    3 056_800_450.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 565
  • 3 057_800_450.jpg
    3 057_800_450.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 464
  • 3 058_800_450.jpg
    3 058_800_450.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 415
  • 3 062_800_450.jpg
    3 062_800_450.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 432
  • 3 063_800_450.jpg
    3 063_800_450.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 3 071_800_450.jpg
    3 071_800_450.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 503
Upvote 25
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe this hasn't gone banner. And now I see you have #4 of ALL the known ones? Gold coins are cool. I'd like to find them too and they look nice on the banner. They made ten's of thousands of them. How many of these were there? 100's? 1800 years ago?
Come on Mods, this should be a no brainer. Wish I could vote twice.

Thanks Tim! To clear it a little, i only know from three on display in the museums. There are some more in private collections as you can find auctions for them. But not many at all. Maybe a dozen or so. Something like the Rolls Royce Emily from a roman chariot....

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the main reason that this is not on the Banner, is lack of knowledge, on how rare a find it is. I don't mean this in a disrepetable way, but if the powers that determin a Banner find, don't know, then it won't make Banner, this includes potential voters, so it is up to the poster to provide the relative information.
But I do agree that it is worthy, I will try and add more info, perhaps Cru could also.:thumbsup:

Bonhams 1793 : A pair of Roman bronze chariot fittings 2

TWO ROMAN BRONZE CHARIOT FITTINGS WITH EAGLE HEAD TERMINALS | CIRCA 3RD-4TH CENTURY A.D. | Christie's

SS

Thanks SS for the links to auctions. You're right, some more information to the find is good, but in this case not easy to come by.... Not many reported! :dontknow: I will grid that field again next week, when my buddy has time to spend as this is his site and i don't walk there without him. He has another terret ring from there too, so with a little luck more pieces from this chariot will turn up.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SS for the links to actions. You're right, some more information to the find is good, but in this case not easy to come by.... Not many reported! :dontknow: I will grid that field again next week, when my buddy has time to spend as this is his site and i don't walk there without him. He has another terret ring from there too, so with a little luck more pieces from this chariot will turn up.

Good luck, and as we discussed off line, I have nothing to add, as I have never seen one & I think it unlikely that they made it to Britain.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, and as we discussed off line, I have nothing to add, as I have never seen one & I think it unlikely that they made it to Britain.
There has only been a handfull found in this country, one was actually found in Scotland, but I think it was incomplete. Chariot finds are extremly Rare in this country, so it would be a even rarer find here, but still a very Rare find anywere in Europe.

The Eagle appeared on many things during the Roman period, coins Standards. Roman Eagle also called the 'Aquila". The eagle (aquila) was the bird of Jupiter. In ancient times the eagle was a symbol of strength and courage, and immortality. The eagle was believed to be the king of the birds that could ascend above the storm, and become the messenger of the gods. According to ancient mythology the eagle would carry the soul into the presence of the gods, Zeus to the Greeks, Jupiter to the Roman, and Odin to the tribes of Germania.

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I not also understand that this finding does not Banner..... :dontknow:

eagle927

Nov 10, 2012
Evansville,IN
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check what I have found for you read what the berry -in the eagles mouth stands for. Awesome find.

Roman fertility eagle dug up in Scotland

A Roman symbol of fertility found near Selkirk, shaped like an eagle emerging from a flower with a berry in its mouth, highlights the discoveries made in Scotland in this year’s Treasure Trove Report.

"A copper alloy mount cast in the shape of an eagle head, the sacred bird of Juno. The eagle is depicted emerging from a flower with a berry held in the beak and was intended as a symbol of good luck or fertility. Mounts of this type were used on the supporting frames of Roman wagons and this is the first such mount from Scotland, with only a small number known from Britain" [Credit: Selkirk Weekend Advertiser]
The talisman, excavated in 2010 by a local metal detectorist between Selkirk and Galashiels, is believed to have adorned a Roman wagon or chariot, and is the first relic of its kind to be found north of the border.

The report described the artifact as: “A copper alloy mount in the shape of an eagle head, the sacred bird of Juno, found near Selkirk. The eagle is depicted emerging from a flower with a berry held in the beak and was intended as a symbol of good luck or fertility. Mounts of this type were used on the supporting frames of Roman wagons and this is the first such mount from Scotland, with only a small number known from Britain.”

Read the rest of this article...
Posted by David Beard at 5:53 PM No comments:

Attachments

• Scotland-eagle roman.png
    Scotland-eagle roman.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 121

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: it's a home run......

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Westfront on making the Banner but a much bigger congrats is deserved for finding this in the first place. I really hope you find the mate, good luck.
ZDD

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront, you are rolling!!:headbang: Awesome piece of history.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing find:occasion14:

That thing looks like it has a story to tell for sure..

Blaze

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks to all who helped to bring the Eagle on top! :occasion14:

This is truly a find of a lifetime and i am very happy to share this one with you all! Too bad that it will be gone next month when i turn my finds in. The archies will try to date it, make their documentation and it will take a year to get him back. Maybe i get an offer if they are interested to buy for putting this one on display. But they are on a low budget so hopefully it will return to my collection because the landowner is not interested in any finds....

You never know what is hidden, so happy hunting all! :treasurechest:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks to all who helped to bring the Eagle on top! :occasion14:

This is truly a find of a lifetime and i am very happy to share this one with you all! Too bad that it will be gone next month when i turn my finds in. The archies will try to date it, make their documentation and it will take a year to get him back. Maybe i get an offer if they are interested to buy for putting this one on display. But they are on a low budget so hopefully it will return to my collection because the landowner is not interested in any finds....

You never know what is hidden, so happy hunting all! :treasurechest:

I can't wait to hear what they say about the Stirrup Mount, which in some ways would be my fav, specially as finding a matching one would be harder in your Country than this one.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to hear what they say about the Stirrup Mount, which in some ways would be my fav, specially as finding a matching one would be harder in your Country than this one.

The stirrup mount was a highlight this year too! Especially as i stated before that i have to come over to UK to find Saxon...
I showed the mount to my archie, but they need to do some more research because of the fact that Saxon finds are very very rare in my area. You will get all the information as soon as i get them! :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stirrup mount was a highlight this year too! Especially as i stated before that i have to come over to UK to find Saxon...
I showed the mount to my archie, but they need to do some more research because of the fact that Saxon finds are very very rare in my area. You will get all the information as soon as i get them! :icon_thumleft:
I know you will let me know, it was just worth the memory:thumbsup:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS on a rare find! :) Breezie

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This would be a rare find in Rome itself .... I know of no similar elemplo here in my country .... or any museum visited by me ... finally realize banner!!! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread