CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Great Durell badge indeed . I see you are from South Jersey . May I ask where you found this ?
I have some information but need a approximate location . A county is ok , town is even better .

CMD

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Indian!

OP
OP
rmbutcher4

rmbutcher4

Jun 9, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CMD, without divulging too much information, I found it in Cape May Co.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edward Hicks Durell
In 1890, after thirty-six years of service in the effective ranks of the ministry, he took a supernumerary relation, and five years later a retired relation. He then turned his attention to the cultivation of cranberries. When he was pastor at Tuckahoe Methodist Church , he planted his first bog at Weatherby Road , Cumberland County , which was the beginning of a business that grew to such proportions that he became one of the largest cranberry growers in the State of New Jersey.
His son Thomas J was Cape May County Superintendent of Schools 1927 - 1929 and was co author with his brother Fletcher of New Day Arithmetic books for NY State and New Jersey Elem. Schools , used in all NY & NJ public schools till the late 1950's . Durell cranberry bogs produced tons of the finest berries . Many of the locals in Cape May County were employed by the Durell family until it's closing in the 1950's.
Durell Cranberry Co. packing plant was bought by the April Bros. after Fletcher Durell and Thomas J. passed on. It's ruins still exist near the lake at Weatherby Road . The Durell bogs are now owned by the State Dept of Recreation and Dept. Fish and Game .The circa 1890 to 1930 badge would be worn by the full time supervisors and certain employees at the packing plant . There were still Durell family members living in NYC in the 1980's . That's all my local historian friend has about the company . Nice local relic . . :thumbsup: CMd

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's cool. I like the history provided by CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rob .
John Durell led a Wonderful life .
An interesting life story of a remarkable man , as soldiers returning safe from War ,
John and his Commanding Officer and friend ,
George Bailey AKA Jimmy Stewart
who at this time 1946 , star of It's A Wonderful Life would return to Cape May County cranberry bog country to deer hunt.
Jimmy left the Army Air Corp as a Major General . Word is he had family in PA .

For the people of Bedford Falls and T Net , , the gifts that mean the most aren't available in any store.

CMD :happy2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread