RARE Political/War of 1812 Militia Button!!!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new field site yesterday that had a little age to it and hoped for some good finds. I didn't end up finding a whole bunch except a couple of 2-piece buttons and a rough 1847 LC. I decided to head to a field site that I pounded last year and was glad to see that it was a bean field. Last year it was corn and I found 6 or 7 coppers that included some KGIIIs and nothing newer than 1835. I found a few flat buttons right off the bat then I got a screaming 12-39 on the CTX, which is usually an old Large Cent, but it wasn't. It was a beautiful 1-piece button.

My initial thought was that it was just a War of 1812 Regiment button of sorts, which would of been awesome by itself, but after seeing the E Pluribus Unum as the back mark that idea changed.

I contacted a well renowned T-net researcher :laughing7:, and he couldn't find anything that combines a military front design with the matching political E Pluribus Unum back mark. Therefore, I agreed with him that it is was some sort of hybrid mix of the two government entities. Whatever it was used for, may never be exactly known, but I'm sure glad I found it. This button will be really hard to top as far as my finds go.

Attachments

• DSC_02881.jpg
    DSC_02881.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0280.JPG
    DSC_0280.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0283.JPG
    DSC_0283.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 4

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great political/militia hybrid! If it isn't listed in Tice, perhaps send good quality photos of front and back to him so it can be!

Congrats,

Buck

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great political/militia hybrid! If it isn't listed in Tice, perhaps send good quality photos of front and back to him so it can be!

Congrats,

Buck

Thanks! Yeah I sent him front and back photos before I started the thread. I was hoping to have a response from him before posting, but he still hasn't contacted me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions