RARE Political/War of 1812 Militia Button!!!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new field site yesterday that had a little age to it and hoped for some good finds. I didn't end up finding a whole bunch except a couple of 2-piece buttons and a rough 1847 LC. I decided to head to a field site that I pounded last year and was glad to see that it was a bean field. Last year it was corn and I found 6 or 7 coppers that included some KGIIIs and nothing newer than 1835. I found a few flat buttons right off the bat then I got a screaming 12-39 on the CTX, which is usually an old Large Cent, but it wasn't. It was a beautiful 1-piece button.

My initial thought was that it was just a War of 1812 Regiment button of sorts, which would of been awesome by itself, but after seeing the E Pluribus Unum as the back mark that idea changed.

I contacted a well renowned T-net researcher :laughing7:, and he couldn't find anything that combines a military front design with the matching political E Pluribus Unum back mark. Therefore, I agreed with him that it is was some sort of hybrid mix of the two government entities. Whatever it was used for, may never be exactly known, but I'm sure glad I found it. This button will be really hard to top as far as my finds go.

Attachments

• DSC_02881.jpg
    DSC_02881.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0280.JPG
    DSC_0280.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0283.JPG
    DSC_0283.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 4

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this a banner find ,,, sweet button

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this a banner find ,,, sweet button

Not sure of Banner material but it is unique and I've never seen one posted before.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Very interesting back mark indeed! I cant offer any info on the button but I will be watching to see if any one else can.

VPR

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great buttons man!!!! I haven't seen one posted like that before congrats!!! Who is your button guy? I found one today that has "Independence and Commerce" on the back and i can't find anything on it? Thanks, Ryan.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your button is a NY state militia Pg. 32 Alberts either 58 or 59 depending on the size.HH
Broken Knee

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet button, sure hope you get the info you are searching for!

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, I like eagles and militias.

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
sweet button, sure hope you get the info you are searching for!

I have been looking. It may just be one of those things not well recorded in the literature

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes those are all political buttons, but mine has a military obverse. The E Pluribus Unum back mark is the common backmark for political buttons during that time. Having the Militia style front makes it "unique" to those for some unknown reason.

Ooops:BangHead: My bad, I should have checked you picture before I just posted the link! they're not similar at all...

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grasshopper said:
Ooops:BangHead: My bad, I should have checked you picture before I just posted the link! they're not similar at all...

It's alright haha. The original poster on that thread had the same back mark, but it was a plain faced flat button. I hate not being able to figure out the reason behind this button.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was common for buttons to be made by multiple company's. So the chance of different back marks doesn't surprise me. The difficulty lies in finding out which co. made it? HH
Broken Knee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread