Beautiful 1864 2 cent

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
mowed down some tall weeds last week and let the clippings dry out on my neighbors hay field which still has a visible foundation from the 1800's, hes more than happy to let me out there to detect.

today i got out there and swung tight up against the foundation and got a weird signal & about 5" down came out this beautiful 2 cent piece.

DSC02793.JPG

DSC02794.JPG

looking on ebay, theres quite a few of them and its hit and miss on what people are bidding on them. but im surprised to see people bidding at the moment $45 on one that is really worn & not graded. mine has alot of detail on it...... im not looking to sell but gauging value and i truly believe the condition of this is rare :) i think i found a beauty here

anyone suggest how i can clean off the dirt on it? its really packed tight. i got most off with dawn dish soap and warm running water. its just slightly crusty on the bottom of the wreath too, im not so worried about the crust on it.. just wanna remove the dirt.

Upvote 4

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, that is in exceptional condition for a dug 2 center! Personally I would give hot peroxide a try, but others may advise against it. Just don't overdo it.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, thats awesome, im dying for a 2 or 3 center, nice work!:icon_thumleft:

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice 2 cent

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ..... now that is a killer coin. Never have dug one.....on my bucket list. CONGRATS:icon_thumleft:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man awsome would love to find one in that condition. Great condition ... There is more out there around that foundation slow your swing and tweek the settings... HH May you have many more finds from your spot...

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I nominated your coin for banner if you don't mind the coin is in exceelent condition from your picture I'd be careful of the hot peroxide cleaning maybe some olive oil soak with a light rub. by the picture it seems to be the large motto to bad it wasn't the small motto the condition would put the value at about 300 to whatever a collector wants to pay.. Get it graded you may be surprised of the actual value.. I'd love it for my collection HH

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a coin in such good condition as yours, I would not put any other liquids on it. Liquids tend to take off the oxidation, and the oxidation, in many cases, is the original surface of the coin. I would "dry clean" the coin until you are satisfied. By "dry clean" I mean take a fine tip wooden toothpick and manually pick each piece of dirt all the way down to the shiny green patina. When you finish you will have a "toned" coin instead of an "environmental damaged" coin. I love it. It is great. You won't dig another that nice.

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a coin man and I've never seen one of these before, so it caught my eye and it's in good condition. Congrats.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is as fine as a Two Center as your going to dig,VERY nice detail!!!!!! God Bless Chris

Last edited:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin and still on my list to find.

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
i truly am amazed at the quality of detail left. ive done peroxide before on other coins, but the rarity of this one makes me a little concerned to do so lol.... might be best i leave it alone then?

i thought of the grading idea, but that cost a little too much moola for my budget at this time.

im gonna start early tomorrow and mow down some more grass, apparently the foundation im browsing around used to be a small barn of sorts and the house was a little further away in the more dense brush........... always fun to get the tractor out to push over some shrubs and brush hog it down ;)

banner nomination is fine with me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread