Found in a thermos inside a Magic Kingdom lunchbox at a thrift-store today.

SaturdayThirty

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of a Facebook group called "Thrifting With The Boys". This was one member's thrift-store find today. These coins were found stashed inside the thermos in a Disney Magic Kingdom lunchbox he bought. Thought the group would get a kick out of it. Note: THIS IS NOT MY FIND. Just an online acquaintance.

thrifting_boys_thermos_find.jpg

Upvote 3

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS. How would they not notice the weight of all that. It would quadruple the weight of a lunch box and thermos, not to mention the noise every time it was moved. The "finder" is flat out lying to his crowd.

OP
OP
S

SaturdayThirty

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS. How would they not notice the weight of all that. It would quadruple the weight of a lunch box and thermos, not to mention the noise every time it was moved. The "finder" is flat out lying to his crowd.

I went ahead and asked him. He said that yes, the coins were rattling around loose in the thermos and he could hear them, which made him wonder "What the hell is that?"

I dunno. You'd be surprised what minimum-wage thrift-store employees will ignore, just to get items priced and on the shelves. I've made some $300-$500 finds for a few bucks at thrifts.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's such a great find, you hear about that kind of stuff being found.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool. I also think lunch boxes will be on my list of treasures :)

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ching ching

snoopy.jpg way to go,,,,,looks like some cool ole coins....any dates?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what looks like a $5 or $10 Gold coin in there. Awesome.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.. What a sweet score.. This is why I always open drawers of furniture as I walk through the thrift stores.. I have found numerous silver dimes this way.. you never know where it could be hiding.. How much did he pay for it?

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Score for your friend, Wish i could make a score like that!!

HH John

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Granpa should've stored his nice old coins somewhere else than the grandson's discarded lunch box, lol. Oops now, lemme take my $20 I use as a bookmark out of this library book before I forget & return it that way! Best luck to your "thrifty" friend! HH Grannie Andi

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what coins are in the picture? looks like a seated and some early 1800 coins.

OP
OP
S

SaturdayThirty

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer a few questions, he said in his post that the lunchbox was part of a large box of stuff he bought for $20. Some of the coins he's mentioned include the 1895 Five Dollar gold coin, 5 half-dollars dating from 1813-1830, and a 1862 3-cent silver piece.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing, I've never found anything CLOSE to that good at a thrift store...

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I went ahead and asked him. He said that yes, the coins were rattling around loose in the thermos and he could hear them, which made him wonder "What the hell is that?"

I dunno. You'd be surprised what minimum-wage thrift-store employees will ignore, just to get items priced and on the shelves. I've made some $300-$500 finds for a few bucks at thrifts.

With all that coinage bouncing around I would have to believe the glass liner would have been broken, or is this a plastic lined bottle? You'd have to imagine someone recognizing the jingle of coins. If it was real, then my hat's off to him!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread