What are these?

nb0916

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting through a rather hidden wooded area in Monmouth Battlefield Park (battle of monmouth was fought here), when I came across these. They are most definitely Iron, but I'm unsure as to whether they are part of something. Could they simply be clumps of Iron which naturally formed? They are shaped almost identically (one is a bit smaller) and are covered in sediment. They were buried about 8inches deep, weigh about 2 lbs ea, and are roughly 4 inches in length. This was my first time metal detecting so I am unsure as to what exactly I've found. Also, how do I go about cleaning these off (assuming they're something)?

Ironthings.jpg The picture is the two objects taken from different angles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nb0916

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm beginning to suspect what I may have found to be bog Iron. The area in which I found it was quite marshy. Any thoughts?

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak them in Apple Cider Vinegar for about a week and see if the sediment comes off. Could reveal something interesting!

rustydigger

Aug 11, 2010
central jersey
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, bounty hunter tracker IV, whites bullseye II pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have no I idea but how did you get permission to hunt the park? just curious i want in lol.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
over fried chicken tenders?:icon_scratch: lol just kidding, sorry i havent got a clue

OP
OP
N

nb0916

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the area we were in was quite desolate to be honest, it was actually off-trail.
thats just a fancy way of saying we didnt exactly go out of our way to get permission ;)

OP
OP
N

nb0916

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know someone said to soak them apple cider viengar but would regular vinegar work just as well?

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nb0916 said:
I know someone said to soak them apple cider viengar but would regular vinegar work just as well?

Nope! ACV will work much much better. Wear rubber gloves when you take them out. It's not the easiest stuff to scrub off.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like slag Iron Workings.

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
A couple of them look almost (but not quite) like rough caltrops to me, but the weight seems a little high for them I would think.

OP
OP
N

nb0916

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironthing2.png

Thanks for letting me know about the ACV, granthasen. I let it soak for a while and did some scrubbing with a toothbrush, and whatever's under the sediment is beginning to take shape. It's definitely iron and looks to me like a peice of a broken cog, though I may be wrong. It's definitely got evenly spaced ridges. The other peice is identical but is covered in much more sediment. The ridges interlock perfectly when I put the peices together, so I suspect these both came from the same cog (if that's what it turns out to be from). Any ideas?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 692384

Thanks for letting me know about the ACV, granthasen. I let it soak for a while and did some scrubbing with a toothbrush, and whatever's under the sediment is beginning to take shape. It's definitely iron and looks to me like a peice of a broken cog, though I may be wrong. It's definitely got evenly spaced ridges. The other peice is identical but is covered in much more sediment. The ridges interlock perfectly when I put the peices together, so I suspect these both came from the same cog (if that's what it turns out to be from). Any ideas?

agreed now its cleaned abit thats its an industrial size cog, not sure what machinery it went on, but something pretty big.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread