Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

The harvest here in Southern Louisiana is finally upon us, which is great news! Some of the fields will be replanted with cane, and some will be razed and left until next year. It's just a roll of the dice as to which field gets which treatment, so we are hoping that some of our good potential new site fields are razed instead of planted. Then we get to play all winter long. ;)

For those that have never seen cane get harvested, it is a pretty amazing thing to witness, from the harvester stage, through the crane and loading stage (see below), all the way down to the lighting of the fire lines and burning of the fields.

Well, we were still stuck at our straggler field last hunt, and the finds have been diminishing since we have finished the grid and only nabbing deep signals and an occasional missed find, as well as things that have washed out fresh after the hard rains. I was out for a few hours with Shanegalang over the weekend, and we dug a few nice items. Nothing Civil War, unfortunately, but I was pleased with another brass rowel and spur piece, some clay marbles, and a 1932 Louisiana Chauffeur's Badge. The cracker jack token I thought was a silver quarter when I first saw it. :D It has--of all people--Andrew Jackson on it. "The Hero of New Orleans." Nice to find that here in Louisiana, although I wish it'd been a silver quarter. :tongue3:

Picture 005.jpg

Here's a close up of the rowel and Chauffeur's Badge. I also got a rolled wheat cent with the Lord's Prayer on it. Interesting change from the Catholic medallions that seem to be everywhere here.

Picture 008.jpg

The two clay marbles makes over 100 that diggergirl and I have found in that field alone this summer. I'm sure Shane has picked up over 50 by himself. So strange, but interesting! Wish I knew how they got there!

Picture 002.jpg

The greatest sight on the way home was seeing the sugar cane fields being burned off at night. This is an incredible sight, and an incredible sound. I stopped to make a short video. The only thing I couldn't capture to share with you was the smell, which was like burning fall leaves. (We don't have fall down here in Southern Louisiana, but y'all up north will understand. Being from Virginia, it's a smell that I love, right along with pumpkin pies and apple butter.)

Picture 004.jpg

When I got home, DiggerGirl and I made a dinner of Shrimp Stuffed Mirletons. There's a good Southern Louisiana dish. 8-)

Picture 007.jpg

It's the beginning of open Hunting Season down here...Relic Hunting that is. Y'all get ready for some good posts once we locate the next site.

Best Wishes,

The CaneField Bandits

Cane Field Bandits cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11

ruffneck

Apr 3, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
DFX/M6, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be looking forward to it. Great posts, great music!!

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a wild guess on the marbles, as kids when we ran out of rocks to shoot with our slingshots, marbles were always a great substitute.

Best of luck on your upcoming "harvest".

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting post and good finds to boot BB!!! I bet the Lord's Prayer medaliion gave you a start-LOL. Marble variety still amazes me. Menu looks great. Dman and I have raised a lot of cain but not that type-LOL. HH, Q.

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a pretty neat process. I love finding the old clay marbles. Nothing says old like those do.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool.......love Louisiana .......Used to come down and buy mud-bugs ( in season ) when I went to Texas and bring em back to a friend who owned a Cajun restaurant here. That was when you could afford to Hot-shot a ton truck. He paid and we got all we could eat for picking them up. My daughter would get her fingers so sore peeling I had to peel em for her. That is one beautiful state. Happy hunting. Post them pics and vids guys.:icon_thumleft:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Some nice finds you there man,get some nice stuff this way from tater and tobacco fields.Oh ya, I like this song,kinda remindes me of down that way. Nice lookin grub cooked there!! God Bless Chris

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun hunt,Thanks for sharing!!

HH John

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys sure do eat good .I like your finds but I think I like your shots of what you eat better. When they burn it smells ok but it shure smells bad when they process it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:

Interesting lead weight in the bottom right of the second pictures, looks like some early plumb bob, or counter weight.:icon_scratch: Good to see you out and finding, look forward to your posts.:coffee2:

SS

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Chauffeur's Badge is a cool find.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting post and good finds to boot BB!!! I bet the Lord's Prayer medaliion gave you a start-LOL. Marble variety still amazes me. Menu looks great. Dman and I have raised a lot of cain but not that type-LOL. HH, Q.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a rolled out cent, but knew what it was when I dug it and suspected that it was the Lord's Prayer. Was also kinda hoping that it would be a treasure map LOL. We will be cooking for ya when you and Dman come down here. How does Jambalaya sound? ;) I can whip up a batch in a few hours before you guys arrive. Between you guys raising cain and the loaders razing cane I think we can dig a nice find or two. Haha.

:headbang:

Interesting lead weight in the bottom right of the second pictures, looks like some early plumb bob, or counter weight.:icon_scratch: Good to see you out and finding, look forward to your posts.:coffee2:

SS

SS,

That is a fishing weight, homemade. I've found a good many of these here. There is water everywhere in this state, and fish all over the place. Not that I'd eat fish caught in many of the bayous and areas where the water doesn't move...but it's here, and 150 years ago I'm sure it was a lot more clean than it is now.

-Buck

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post as always Buckles! Never seen cane harvested before, thanks for the video!! I agree with Coldshuz as to how the marbles may end up in those fields. When I was a kid we used to also shoot marbles at old junk cars in fields with our slingshots!!! That Chauffer badge is an awesome find as well!!!! Looking forward to future posts!!!!!

IM

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post as always Buckles! Never seen cane harvested before, thanks for the video!! I agree with Coldshuz as to how the marbles may end up in those fields. When I was a kid we used to also shoot marbles at old junk cars in fields with our slingshots!!! That Chauffer badge is an awesome find as well!!!! Looking forward to future posts!!!!!

IM

I appreciate your reply, IM. That has to be part of the reason there are so many marbles in the field. Considering that the 150-160 total we've found are only what we could see after heavy rains, there has to be at least that many more underground. I wouldn't be surprised if the marble total in that field was over 300. At any rate, it'll be fun to go back there and eyeball long after the last metal find is dug from that field. I'm very pleased with the Chauffeur's badge. Wasn't what I was hoping for, but cool nonetheless... And as I stated in my article in this month's Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine article "Be Prepared," what we are hoping for is seldom what we actually find. Often it is way different, for worse, or for better!

Cheers,

Buck

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB the finds are cool but the food I going to have come that way to eat some day. HH

Ray Scott

Greenie
Oct 22, 2012
Baltimore
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a copper Lords Prayer just like yours but I didn't know it was a rolled penny. Thanks for the info. I cleaned mine up, put it in a little frame and gave it to my wife. She liked it.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting videos and finds !!! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread