Million dollar penny ?? PBK, someone, what is this thing??

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
OK, I know this isn't the perfect place for this, I found it roll hunting, and technically I got it yesterday, blah blah..........

BUT, here's the story, I'm out for coffee with my wife and a friend of ours, I'm roll huntin' pennies(got a dozen wheats too !!). I "unwrap" one of the rolls and I see what looks like the smoothed edge of a clad dime, the first of many "what the hecks". I'm thinking, how did a dime make it into a penny roll?? So, I muster every ounce of self control I own( it's really not much) and start out at the end of the roll, just like a good boy, I'll get to that dime when I get to it. So, I get to the "dime", after fiding ANOTHER wheat ;D, and it turns out that it is indeed a penny(insert what the heck(loudly) #2 here). I'm totally befuddled by this coin, really. What the heck is it??

I have looked it over very closely, it isn't painted, there is no raised area of paint(it was my very first thought, I swear). On the edge(which looks just like a clad dime in color) the transition between copper tones and silver tones is totally smooth, it also transitions like metal that has been compressed together. Is this a penny stamped out of a dime plate ??

Do not adjust your monitors, the silver you are seeing is real, this is no normal penny, do not be alarmed.

Attachments

• silver cent 01 (2).jpg
    silver cent 01 (2).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 959
  • silver cent 02.jpg
    silver cent 02.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,572
Upvote 0

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
Back around 1959 I was working in a metal plating shop for a railroad chrome-plating furniture pulls, etc., and just for fun I threw some pennies into the basket to see what they'd look like. I still have mine, but maybe someone else did the same thing. It's a 'kid' thing to do and there are a lot of kids working in plating shops all over the country.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hi, Gold Fish—

I believe that Doug Mauck is right on the money: what you have found is a post-mint novelty created by electroplating an ordinary cent. If it had been struck on a dime planchet (blank) in 1959, the edge would not have the appearance of a clad dime. At that time, dimes were still 90% silver, not clad. So, the coppery edge color is from the cent itself, and is where the plating has worn through.

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Well, I'd say that I'm happy to have that off my mind, but it would have been cooler if it WAS worth a million. I'm still gonna have someone look at it in person, no offense, but it really strikes me weird. I do know about the 90% silver thing(I have found a merc or two, ya know ::)), the copper on the edge is actually what made my doubts.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back several years ago, my son (now in the Navy) bought a gold electroplating kit, he was electroplating engine parts for an old el camino. Anyways, I fooled around with it and electroplated quarters, dimes, nickels and some pennies...I imagine these coins ended up in someones collection...LOL.

Kids and bored parents do the darndest things...thanks for posting!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it very smooth almost slippery, mercury rubbed onto copper gives that effect.

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheSleeper said:
Is it very smooth almost slippery, mercury rubbed onto copper gives that effect.

That's what I was thinking...

I know some people that had done that when they were kids (sheesh...can you imagine?)

What I want to know is, when I saw mercury (out of a thermometer) I couldn't imagine how one could get it to sit sill...lol...you know, to be able to rub it on to a coin ???

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I want to know is, when I saw mercury (out of a thermometer) I couldn't imagine how one could get it to sit sill...lol...you know, to be able to rub it on to a coin

LOL its like me u just gotta wait for it to get slam tuckered out ::)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Bummer! I was hoping you had something here.

I have a 1901 Indian cent with a piece of silver embedded into the Indian's head.

So far no one has been impressed with that find.

Keep lookin.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread