Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got back into the swing of things today..It is cool here again at last and time to hunt a little before I leave for San Diego for a year or two. Wanted to hunt a area near a cliff overhang. Was not expecting to find the bronze items as normal. I had read of this area being of Neolithic Habitation. At the most inside of the overhang, I begun to dig and use the sifter. Started to find lots of shells as I got deeper along with fish bones and other ocean related items. About a foot down I unearthed this stone in the picture. At first I did not think much about it, but that there was no stones of this nature around. I cleaned it off and then I noticed a perfect edge on it and a angle on both sides that match. I hope some of you guys that know a little more about this type of artifacts can help me confirm what I think it may be. I am thinking a scrapping tool of some kind.

I got the coins today at a site on the way back to the truck. I had hunted this area before and had found a few old bronze coins..Today I tried a prime area of about 3'x3' and dug a little to get the top 3" or 4" off the top soil. Sure enough I got a ding in my headphones and had a good feeling what it might be..5 Japanese bronze coins in all 1600's-1700's I was hoping for the older Chinese, but maybe next time. I also picked up a 1/2 sen that may date in the late 1800's kind of like a large copper cent.
Thanks for reading and any help of the stone tool would be great! The stone has a dark color and almost green when wet and very smooth.

Attachments

• PC020004.JPG
    PC020004.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 488
  • IMGA0006.JPG
    IMGA0006.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 485
  • IMGA0008.JPG
    IMGA0008.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 499
  • IMGA0003.JPG
    IMGA0003.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 492
  • IMGA0011.JPG
    IMGA0011.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 480
  • IMGA0010.JPG
    IMGA0010.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 488
  • PC020011.JPG
    PC020011.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 481
  • PC02001233.JPG
    PC02001233.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

I know nothing about foreign objects of any kind...nothing about foreign coins or relics or stone tools. Having said that, however, I'm thinking that your stone artifact looks like it could have been a wedge, something for splitting wood. But honestly, I'm just GUESSING. It looks too uniformly smooth to be natural, and stone tools are often easy to wrap your hand around. So if you can wrap your hand around it, it could very well be a stone age tool.

Hey, how much would you charge me to make me a screen like yours? I'll be needing one next spring.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great finds Dave!, can't help with the stone although it looks too uniform to be natural. It would make a good hammer head for breaking shells.

kenb

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Glad you are able to hunt a few more times before coming to the states. That large shell is great,but I have no clue on the stone...Bet Atlantis could help you out on that one...Nice coins!

L

loganscott

What you have there is a basically a tomahawk. It is either made of a stone called steatite or hematite. Takes a lot of polishing to make one of those beauties. I used to make native American reproductions of those all the time, some of my best sellers. Found a couple of them on the Ohio and Green Rivers near where I live. Quite a find. I've seen them sell for up to 300 dollars, the authentic ones. If you are looking for a buyer, I know a fellow in Louisville who is always looking for high quality artifacts like that one, and make no mistake, that one is museum quality.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds - especially the stone tool. Nothing like holding prehistoric history in your hands.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome finds D in J! great to hear from you again.

HH
-GC

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
safe travels buddy ;) cool digs 8) and yes i beleive a stone tool of some sort

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Most definately a stone age celt. Very nice. I think it may have been a little presumptious to say what it's made from considering it was found over seas. It could be made from almost anything- No matter though, it's a beauty!!! Good find.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure does look stone age! Congrats on the nice finds and hunt. HH, Mike

zaweiss

Nov 14, 2006
Park Hills, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Nice stuff....

is that Kadena Air Base?

Camp Schwab?

Camp Foster?

Mt. Fuji?

Yokota?

(The building in the background looks like military barracks!)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I can sure see why you don't want to leave Dave. There's a gold mine there!

When you get this stuff back to the states have an expert check these for you. I'd say they're a lot better than maybe you think.

Best,

Badger

OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone! Nice to have people of the same mind set to turn too! Yes, it will be hard to leave here, but I will be back as always!! Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions