Looking for lead, also found silver

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
What would you do if you took the car in for inspection and oil change? Do some detecting, of course. Except that I didn't have my detector with me, so I had to improvise. Whether or not you're aware, and at the risk of adding competition, our roadsides are littered with lead. No, not toys soldiers, or sinkers (usually), but wheel weights. Most of them are still lead, though it is now illegal in some states to install new lead; the alternative, I'm finding, is steel. Anyway, I took my wife's van in for the work at the dealer and planned a stroll along a very busy road that runs right by. My suspicions about the road were confirmed; I came back with two heavy pocketfuls of lead wheelweights. Don't know what they look like? Go look on the rims of your car and you'll see them (probably). It's possible they fell off and I found them! As my well-trained eyes scanned the roadside for lead, they fell on a piece that my eyes are also well-trained for. Buried flat about halfway in roadside dirt, I noticed an almost round object. Naturally, I picked it up and realized immediately that it was probably silver. A little rub and there it was inside: 925! Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the lead; maybe after I melt it all down I will. After that, I'll take it with me on my next trip to the scrap yard. This ring was very large, fitting perfectly on my right ring finger. Putting it on may have been foolish; my wedding ring hasn't been off in over 16 years.

Attachments

• roadsilver (Small).jpg
    roadsilver (Small).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver ring ...congrats !:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread