Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I went out with the AT Gold, on my second outing. I am still confused on it's operation but I am finding stuff, so that is a good thing. The items are significantly deeper than the ace was able to signal on.

The day started off slow. This is a site I have worked to death with my ACE. I spent a lot of time digging deep foil, apparently ace 250s do not see deep foil. I got lots of non ferrous hits, but nothing great. I spent a lot of time digging iron as well. I have not figured out how to tell if I am digging big iron or a non ferrous target. The iron things I dug are pretty neat. I got some EARLY railroad spikes, a SWEET iron padlock, a train part(speculating, ID's welcomed), a heavy solid iron doorknob finial, and a small iron buckle.

Then came the non ferrous. It was all super deep. I was digging shotgun shells at 7 inches in highly mineralized red clay. I got a cool little suspender buckle? and a very early Confederate Civil War button. It is from the "Bingham School" which was a military academy nearby in the 1800s. The backmark is " SCOVILL MFG *CO*" with 2 stars. It is depressed channel and raised letter, and cuff sized. I have never seen this exact backmark but am pretty sure it is period or earlier. What do yall think? I am well on the way to paying for the detector after finding that little guy.

The one coin I found must have been dropped the year it was made. It is in outstanding condition. It had thick green junk all over it and I am suprised that it cleanded up so well.

Enjoy the pictures folks!

IMAG0216.jpg
Bingham School
IMAG0219.jpg
SCOVILL MFG CO
IMAG0254-1.jpg
1919 Lincoln Cent
IMAG0255.jpg
Pewter spoon, knife or fork handle
IMAG0253.jpg
Neat Iron Padlock
IMAG0228.jpg
Suspender buckle
IMAG0230.jpg
stove top lifter (hand forged)
IMAG0231.jpg
possible train part(front)
IMAG0244.jpg
possible train part (rear)
IMAG0245.jpg
small buckle and doorknob finial
IMAG0246.jpg
three railroad spikes, one is broken, and the other 2 are slightly different

Last edited:
Upvote 1

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds. It took a little time to get used to my at pro but now i think ive got it figured out pretty good. Once you get yours figured out, watch out! Wish you luck with the at gold!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Your stove top lifter is actually a door hasp.

VaMark

Jun 3, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, XP Deus, AT Pro, Silver U-Maxx, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! Looks like you have a good spot to spend some time at.

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a staff button,not student...that particular design is not in alberts book....good find

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stick w/the AT Gold. If it's like the AT Pro, the learning curve isn't steep at all. They're great relic machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread