🥇 BANNER GOLD COIN TODAY!

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Was able to get out today at a beach that I have hunted quite a few times in the past... A lot of the areas were closed from the Hurricane, but I managed to squeeze my truck in a small area that just fit.... Got to swinging and every target was coin after coin today. Not much in the way of jewelry or junk... a few pieces of silver here and there... there were a few others swinging there too... I went out far on the mud flat to get away from the other guys and got a loud hit and dug a quarter... checked the hole and got a VERY LOW tone.... could it be a ring? Hmmmmm out pops this little piece of history from 1851.....WOW.... I am on cloud nine.... 42 years of hunting and this was a first for me today.... There is hope that there are still some goodies to be found.... This is a special beach to me this year... I have found a few diamond rings here too this season.... Thanks for looking and I can't wait till tomorrow.... Thank You Sandy from the bottom of my heart..... for the erosion that you gave us up here in Mass... 1 Dollar Gold Coin (1).JPG 1 Dollar Gold Coin (2).JPG I think that it may be a Charlotte NC coin

Last edited:
Upvote 58
OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
I am thinking that the edges were damaged already by the surf that I pulled it from...

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is beautiful. Gold is doesnt get any more handsome then that one. Congrats

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome coin I knew Ole sandy was going to remove enough sand to filter the junk away and get down to the good coins HH

bobcat

Aug 18, 2012
nebraska
Detector(s) used
whites - eagle 2 sl, eagle spectrum, xlt, dfx, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still dreaming of my gold coins i am going to find. Super find!

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Hopefully, NOT a once in a lifetime experience!

Congrats on an exceptional find!!!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one sweet find man:occasion14:

Never seen a dug gold coin around this way..

From what i have been hearing nobody down the beaches this way are having any luck after the storm..

Blaze

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am still finding goodies from the storm in our area

xtrmdigger

Oct 28, 2012
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
Gold is always a great find and this one is exceptional! Nice early Christmas present!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
very interesting to see in such fine shape especially being in salt water or the very least salt water sand even buried..hmmmmmmmmm...makes me wonder

What would you be wondering about ?.... GOLD stays exactly as it was when lost, even if lost over hundreds of years ago... don't you watch National Geographic Channel....Stuff from the Atocha, Whydah, and the Santa Margarita ships, to mention a few, are still bringing up coins that look like they came from the mint yesterday. This coin was found in the mud, and very deep, along with a quarter which is why I dug that target to begin with.... as far as the shape goes.... I am thinking it was lost fairly new, and on one more side note... there have been a few other GOLD coins found at that particular site, over the years after storms... Happy Thanksgiving...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess he doesnt find much gold - only gold that really discolors is usually that which is under 14k
I did not look it up but your coin is probably close to around 22k I would think
it could have been under for 1000 yrs and would come out just as nice :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Guess he doesnt find much gold - only gold that really discolors is usually that which is under 14k
I did not look it up but your coin is probably close to around 22k I would think
it could have been under for 1000 yrs and would come out just as nice :icon_thumright:
Also if this coin turns out to be a Charlotte NC coin ( C ) it will bring a very nice premium... they start at around $3,600.00 in the Red Book.... just to own one....

Last edited:

xtrmdigger

Oct 28, 2012
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
Yeah I was digging in my library trying to find the book. AMERICA'S LOST TREASURE shows some great examples of piles of gold laying on the bottom of the ocean looking like the day it was lost. Discoloration usually only occurs when another metal is lying on it (like rusting iron)

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah I was digging in my library trying to find the book. AMERICA'S LOST TREASURE shows some great examples of piles of gold laying on the bottom of the ocean looking like the day it was lost. Discoloration usually only occurs when another metal is lying on it (like rusting iron)

True enough .... even sometimes when you put a few different Gold Karats together..they will turn color. or different classes of silver. they will rust at times after being in salt water...

xtrmdigger

Oct 28, 2012
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
One quick? If I may, why all the remarks about Charlotte? I don't see a C and and in my "out of date" red book the D dahlonega is a lil higher premium, just curious, thanks

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
One quick? If I may, why all the remarks about Charlotte? I don't see a C and and in my "out of date" red book the D dahlonega is a lil higher premium, just curious, thanks

2010 RED BOOK ( C ) = Charlotte Type 1 Liberty Head 1 Dollar Gold 1.672 grams

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting to see in such fine shape especially being in salt water or the very least salt water sand eventtttttt buried..hmmmmmmmmm...makes me wonder

Yo Yo Bro,
Don't wonder to long you'll miss the boat!! My gold coin (out of the beach) is maybe in better condition! Hmmmmmmmm.... maybe you should get off the couch and start hunting!!
Hate Haters!

SnT

PS.
I was there and saw it happen!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

If you step away from the computer just a little you can CLEARLY see a letter ( C ) under the wreath...seems to be worn though...that's why I said ( IF ) it turns out to be a Charlotte coin... I have to have it looked at to be certain... Fingers crossed either way it's a terrific find in any shape. This is the smallest US coin ever minted, and to find one is just plain crazy.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread