More bitter than sweet
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    1035 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

More bitter than sweet

I enjoyed reading Johnny Bravo's story yesterday about the sweet 1851 large cent and wrote a reply, but must have missed the submit button. In my reply, I lamented that the five large cents I had found were barely identifiable. Let's make that six. Today, mixed in with mostly clad and memorial pennies, I found another large cent, and think the date ends in "8." This is the worst of the six I've found, and, to top it off, the coin is bent. There is just enough profile to identify this as a large cent, but that's it. I hate holding a coin over 150 years old and not being able to appreciate its aesthetic beauty. It does, however, beat not finding anything.
    A gentleman farmer named Floyd
    With some of his kin was annoyed
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth
    And one of his tools was destroyed

TreasureTales

Re: More bitter than sweet

Hey halfdime I have NEVER found a large cent. I'd be happy as could be to find one, even one like you're lamenting about here!! You'll get a good one, you're bound to because you've found so many already. Good luck.

damz68

Clean it with electrolysis. If it is bent what do you have to lose.

us
    Dec 2004
    Florida
    Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
    59 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Large Cent....that would be nice to dig up one of those! Congrats for everyone who has experienced it!

Oct 2006
    Madison, Wisconsin
    7 times

you can always give that "lame" cent to me! Since I have never even held a penny that old.. LOL
    Good job regardless of the appearence!

HH
    J.J.

Nov 2006
    Missouri
    Whites MXT
    81 times

i have managed to find 1 large cent, an 1858 with a hole inthe top of it. I found it on a 7 block stretch of bulldozed houses in my town of Cape Girardeau, MO.

Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    1035 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Okay, I am rightly chastened; I will never again complain about the condition of the coins I find. I will appreciate each coin for what it is: a little piece of history.
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth

us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
    43 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great find, I've found lots of Large Cents over my years of detecting and this year I found my first Large Cent that I could Read, infact it is in VG Conditon or better. I usually don't clean Large Cents because the more you try to clean them the worse they get.

Again, Nice find and keep looking,, there really are good ones out their.

HH, Ringfinder
    Minelab GPX 4500, Nautilus IIB, ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Depth Pro, Fisher 1235, Fisher F-75, Minelab Explorer II, X-terra 70

Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    1035 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

You're right Ringfinder, the more you clean them the worse they get. You'd think that lesson would sink in, but the temptation is so great. I never have that urge with silver, thankfully.
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth

AUCTIONEER

Jul 2006
    Charlotte
    Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro Also have a Garrett Ace 250
    20 times

I'd flip out if I found one! I bet ya'll laugh at me for "gonna flip" over everything, but you guys (and gals) all find some really good stuff!

HH,
    Ramapirate
    Ramapirate...
    Madcap

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    37 times

Earlier in the year I a large cent was high on my list of to finds. It still is but....My son gave me a reality check during the summer when I kept saying I wanted to find a large cent.... He was like "Why do you want to find a Large Cent? It's just going to be corroded and look ratty". I thought, he's right. But I still want to find one...just not as bad.

Mirage
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

us
    Digaholic

Sep 2006
    Lone Star State
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by TreasureTales
    Hey halfdime I have NEVER found a large cent. I'd be happy as could be to find one, even one like you're lamenting about here!! You'll get a good one, you're bound to because you've found so many already. Good luck.
    Right on. The only cool coins I have dug are a 26 wheat, SLQ pre-1925, a 43 merc, a 43 P mint nickel and a 44 S mint nickel. They all came out of my yard. House was built in 1950. My whole entire area of town is only from the mid to late 50's. I would just love to find a v-nickel, walker, large cent, any half dollar regardless of age, barber or any of the cooler coins as such.

Keep at it though. If you found one old one like that I just know there has to be at least one more somewhere!!

Laater...
    My detector is a needle finder; The world is my haystack.
    =====================================
    Think with a clear conscience or you will not be able to speak with one.
    ==============================================

us
    Sep 2005
    Indiana
    Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
    418 times

hmmm...i have one large cent that is very rare and happens to be one of the last ever made, however, sometimes i forget to menchion that it is encrusted with filth that will not come off, so thivk you can't tell heads from tales sometimes

HH
    -GC

Sponsored Links