More bitter than sweet

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I enjoyed reading Johnny Bravo's story yesterday about the sweet 1851 large cent and wrote a reply, but must have missed the submit button. In my reply, I lamented that the five large cents I had found were barely identifiable. Let's make that six. Today, mixed in with mostly clad and memorial pennies, I found another large cent, and think the date ends in "8." This is the worst of the six I've found, and, to top it off, the coin is bent. There is just enough profile to identify this as a large cent, but that's it. I hate holding a coin over 150 years old and not being able to appreciate its aesthetic beauty. It does, however, beat not finding anything.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Hey halfdime I have NEVER found a large cent. I'd be happy as could be to find one, even one like you're lamenting about here!! You'll get a good one, you're bound to because you've found so many already. Good luck.

D

damz68

Clean it with electrolysis. If it is bent what do you have to lose.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large Cent....that would be nice to dig up one of those! Congrats for everyone who has experienced it!

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
i have managed to find 1 large cent, an 1858 with a hole inthe top of it. I found it on a 7 block stretch of bulldozed houses in my town of Cape Girardeau, MO.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Okay, I am rightly chastened; I will never again complain about the condition of the coins I find. I will appreciate each coin for what it is: a little piece of history.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, I've found lots of Large Cents over my years of detecting and this year I found my first Large Cent that I could Read, infact it is in VG Conditon or better. I usually don't clean Large Cents because the more you try to clean them the worse they get.

Again, Nice find and keep looking,, there really are good ones out their.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You're right Ringfinder, the more you clean them the worse they get. You'd think that lesson would sink in, but the temptation is so great. I never have that urge with silver, thankfully.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd flip out if I found one! I bet ya'll laugh at me for "gonna flip" over everything, but you guys (and gals) all find some really good stuff!

HH,
Ramapirate

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Earlier in the year I a large cent was high on my list of to finds. It still is but....My son gave me a reality check during the summer when I kept saying I wanted to find a large cent.... He was like "Why do you want to find a Large Cent? It's just going to be corroded and look ratty". I thought, he's right. But I still want to find one...just not as bad. :D

Mirage

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
Hey halfdime I have NEVER found a large cent. I'd be happy as could be to find one, even one like you're lamenting about here!! You'll get a good one, you're bound to because you've found so many already. Good luck.
Right on. The only cool coins I have dug are a 26 wheat, SLQ pre-1925, a 43 merc, a 43 P mint nickel and a 44 S mint nickel. They all came out of my yard. House was built in 1950. My whole entire area of town is only from the mid to late 50's. I would just love to find a v-nickel, walker, large cent, any half dollar regardless of age, barber or any of the cooler coins as such.

Keep at it though. If you found one old one like that I just know there has to be at least one more somewhere!!

Laater...

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm...i have one large cent that is very rare and happens to be one of the last ever made, however, sometimes i forget to menchion that it is encrusted with filth that will not come off, so thivk you can't tell heads from tales sometimes :-\

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions