Magnet fishing. Found gun.

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Was going for round 2 of magnet fishing in the Ohio river after I went detecting and found the best ring Iv ever found so the day was already looking good, tossed the magnet out a few times along the river and got nails and random trash and was about to give up but then a couple of friends showed up and just hung out there so I kept on tossing. About the 20th toss I pulled this in and thought it was a toy at first but it's a 380 pistol in great shape, there are just pretty deep Nicks and scratches in the metal wherever there is a corner in the gun, like around the hammer. The gun appears to be stainless with plastic grips so not sure why it stuck to the magnet but it did. There was no magazine and no bullets in it, I gave it to my dad and he turned it in to the authorities because we figured the gun was used in a crime then tossed into the Ohio river. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• image-2921895539.jpg
    image-2921895539.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 11,121
  • image-890191122.jpg
    image-890191122.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 807
  • image-3013392954.jpg
    image-3013392954.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,971
  • image-354536565.jpg
    image-354536565.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,578
Upvote 10

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd be surprised how many completely legit guns are chucked into rivers and lakes. Many times it's someone who inherited a gun and they are one of those people who hates them and decide to toss it.

Many years ago I heard a lady talking about how she tossed a bunch of guns that some relative had when he died. She said she "didn't want her kids around guns" I asked her where she tossed them, and she told me it was in an irrigation ditch off a dirt road that I happened to know quite well. We went with a magnet but only caught the head off an engine and a bunch of trash, so I waded into the muck and about an hour later I had two rifles three pistols and a shotgun. The thick gooey silt had preserved them incredibly well, plus they'd only been there a short time and after a good soak in oil and a cleaning they were all in shooting condition. One of the revolvers was a Colt Model 1877 that was made in the 1890's as I remember, which I later sold for a nice amount. The shotgun is an early Browning Auto 5 that I gave to my uncle for his birthday one year.

If you know anyone in law enforcement you might be able to have them run the serial numbers for you to make sure they aren't stolen.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I would of told them you want it back if applicable after the investigation.. As long as you aren't a felon I see no reason you can't.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the gun being magnetic.....It is satin nickle and not stainless (current ones anyway). The frame is a nonmagnetic alloy but the slide and barrel are carbon. The satin nickle is just plating. The satin finish is not only tough, it adds to the lubricity to the metal surface (slide to frame) as well as the obvious noncorrosive properties. :icon_thumleft:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
always best to turn them in, get caught with a murder weapon and you may not be able to talk your way out of it. as far as the magnet some guns have a coating on them to keep them from rusting. still a steel gun underneath but mossberg had a "marine coat" that looks similar. it might not be used in a crime. trappers will carry a pistol to finish off animals caught in a trap. most trappers work creeks,rivers,ponds,etc. so you never know it might be legit. I turned in a very rusty smith and wesson a while back and have not heard back from the erie county sherrifs dept. but if I never get it back, I did the right thing. besides maybe I helped catch a criminal.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go back to the police station and tell them you want it back after the waiting period if,there are no issues. By law, they have to return it to you as your property.
Ha e them note it on your paperwork.
I had a friend do this an he still has his gun he found.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very cool find for sure, and I too would ask for it back, if it's not stolen.
Years ago I drove a truck out in Texas, I saw a young guy hitch hicking so I stopped and gave him a ride.....He said he was headed to Tampa, I dropped him off in Amarillo at the 76 truck stop. Got home and found a sweater in the sleeper inside it was a Ruger speed six 2 &3/4 inc. barrel. Cool I thought gave it to the wife for home defense, Later we needed a lot of money in a hurry, so I sold off my Indian artifact coll. And a couple of other collections, And took my guns (that one included) and pawned them. 2 day's later the police knocked on the door asked for me and wanted to know I got the gun. I told them the mile marker (approx.) and where he said he was heading. Turned out the gun had been stolen in a break in in Denver. no one was hurt but , other stuff had been stolen as well. They wanted to know what the name was and what he looked like. Tim was what he told me ...and he looked just like opie taylor at 21. I found out later that he was caught in Atlanta, Ga In a breakin. I did not get that giun back, but was glad that he didn't have it when he broke into the Ga. house.

P.S. I did get all my stuff back from pawn the family was ok and life went on.
Goes to show you just never know......Sorry so long.......................................HH

Krosp1718

Greenie
Sep 10, 2012
Federal Way
Detector(s) used
:(
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks like it spent minimal time underwater in any case. I was fishing with a friend in the Grand River where it runs through the Old Town in Lansing MI. We were wading on the low side of the dam when I spot a BB gun laying in the cobbles. I pick it up and instantly notice it's way heavier than it should be. NEF 12ga. single shot. Barrel is cut back to almost nothing. Stock is cut back to just enough to hold on to. All identifying marks were worked over with a dremel. I put it back where I found it and my friend called the police. They eventually show up and ask me to bring it out of the river to the landing. I pick it back up and clear it so there's no danger of it firing if I slip on the river cobbles walking it back in. Barrel was shiny and clean. Dremel marks just barely had started rusting. I figure it was underwater less than a full day. Such a waste. Another time I spotted a Browning Highpower under a bridge while fishing. I got all excited until I picked it up and discovered it was a squirt gun that had been underwater long enough to get all crusty and realistic looking. The 12ga I found was certainly used in a crime and I didn't want it back anyway. The modifications alone were a criminal act. I'd say you have a slightly better than even chance it was used in a crime, but this doesn't necessarily make it so.

OP
OP
bblaha

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Found out this morning it was stolen over 3 years ago! Darn

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find for sure.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, and good choice to turn it in.
Since it was stolen and "hopefully" returned to its rightful owner, wouldn't this qualify as an "Honorable Mention"?

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own that same one. Actually the Thunder model is all black. Nice job.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome good job turning it in amazing how many magnet fishers find guns keep up the good finds

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of quite a few people (Ladys) that throw there deceased husbands guns in the rivers so no one else can get them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread