Magnet fishing. Found gun.

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Was going for round 2 of magnet fishing in the Ohio river after I went detecting and found the best ring Iv ever found so the day was already looking good, tossed the magnet out a few times along the river and got nails and random trash and was about to give up but then a couple of friends showed up and just hung out there so I kept on tossing. About the 20th toss I pulled this in and thought it was a toy at first but it's a 380 pistol in great shape, there are just pretty deep Nicks and scratches in the metal wherever there is a corner in the gun, like around the hammer. The gun appears to be stainless with plastic grips so not sure why it stuck to the magnet but it did. There was no magazine and no bullets in it, I gave it to my dad and he turned it in to the authorities because we figured the gun was used in a crime then tossed into the Ohio river. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• image-2921895539.jpg
    image-2921895539.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 11,118
  • image-890191122.jpg
    image-890191122.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 806
  • image-3013392954.jpg
    image-3013392954.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,969
  • image-354536565.jpg
    image-354536565.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,577
Upvote 10

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no reason for it to be in the river. probably used in a crime. would be nice to keep, but best to turn over to the cops

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a find, that thing is in some shape for being in a river. Could have also been tossed in the river by a POed wife.
ZDD

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tell the cops that I wanted it back if its cleared of any crime

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now, that is a cool find! Nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK....I can't hold it in......The gun is no more evil than a car used in a hit-and-run or a building that person is pushed from. Evil is a trait reserved for us humans. The Bersa is a descent quality, fairly popular handgun. If the police do not tie it to a crime and need it for evidence, or find it to be stolen and need to return it to its owner I would surely want it back ( you certainly did the right thing by taking it to them ). If you are not a gun person sell it just like a piece of jewelry or any other object of value that you may have no interest in keeping. Just hard for me to give $ 250 away. Don't misunderstand me....it is or was yours to do with as you see fit. Just my 2 cents.:tongue3:

PS....bet you would have never guessed I am a gun person.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Bersa .40 cal that I use for concealed carry. Decent gun for the money. Most likely used in a crime for sure. Doubtful someone "lost" it.

OP
OP
bblaha

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
TNGUNS said:
OK....I can't hold it in......The gun is no more evil than a car used in a hit-and-run or a building that person is pushed from. Evil is a trait reserved for us humans. The Bersa is a descent quality, fairly popular handgun. If the police do not tie it to a crime and need it for evidence, or find it to be stolen and need to return it to its owner I would surely want it back ( you certainly did the right thing by taking it to them ). If you are not a gun person sell it just like a piece of jewelry or any other object of value that you may have no interest in keeping. Just hard for me to give $ 250 away. Don't misunderstand me....it is or was yours to do with as you see fit. Just my 2 cents.:tongue3:

PS....bet you would have never guessed I am a gun person.

I LOVE guns. Iv grown up around them and shoot allll the time. In one month I turn 18 I'll finally be able to buy that sig sauer AR Iv had my eye on lol

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to show you that there are legit (well at least non-crime related) reasons for guns to wind up in rivers here is a story.

When I was young and impetuous (aprox. 15yo) I destroyed a perfectly good pheasant hunting 12 gauge by turning it into a homemade (hacksawed), pistol-gripped, sawed-off shotgun. I liked it for the fact that it would dang near tear a doorknob off and could kick out a gnarly flame at night! The only thing that gun ever shot was inanimate objects and it was never used in a threatening manner. After crossing the states a few times with it in my duffle I realized what an idiot I was and pitched it in a river.

peace,
cc

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are lucky! I was under the impression that stainless did not stick to a magnet! Maybe the barrel was just enough??? And I agree with TNGUNS, you turned it over way too easily. If you know guns, you know that it has value, and you should have told the law you wanted it back after their investigation. This post is confusing to me, anyone else?

Oct 14, 2012
Upstate NY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are lucky! I was under the impression that stainless did not stick to a magnet!
MOST stainless (not all) is not magnetic. However, a "stainless" gun is not made out of stainless, it's just finished with a stainless-look material. ("10 myths about guns" 2012 Gun Digest)
DD

OP
OP
bblaha

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Diamondplate Dave said:
MOST stainless (not all) is not magnetic. However, a "stainless" gun is not made out of stainless, it's just finished with a stainless-look material. ("10 myths about guns" 2012 Gun Digest)
DD

Thanks that had me stumped. And foundinnc I knew it had value but I was still thinking that if someone through a perfectly good gun in the river it must be for a reason, I let my dad decide what to do with it because I just didn't want to take the risk. The police department is right by my house so I will keep you posted on it

OP
OP
bblaha

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
The magnet I use has a hole in the middle so I tie a rope through it then duck tape around the knot and at the base of the rope to help secure it, then I just toss it out into the river or pond until it sinks to the bottom, after I know it's on the bottom I slowly pull it in kind of feeling if anything heavy is on it so I will know if I have to be extra careful or not. I haven't had much luck even getting trash in ponds. I think it's because everything sinks into the mud too deep.

Attachments

• image-3943267634.jpg
    image-3943267634.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 274

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The magnet I use has a hole in the middle so I tie a rope through it then duck tape around the knot and at the base of the rope to help secure it, then I just toss it out into the river or pond until it sinks to the bottom, after I know it's on the bottom I slowly pull it in kind of feeling if anything heavy is on it so I will know if I have to be extra careful or not. I haven't had much luck even getting trash in ponds. I think it's because everything sinks into the mud too deep.

Man you have a good mind to come up with this if you did. And look at your find that's some good stuff. Your on to something. Very nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread