Magnet fishing. Found gun.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Magnet fishing. Found gun.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2012
    146 times

Magnet fishing. Found gun.

Was going for round 2 of magnet fishing in the Ohio river after I went detecting and found the best ring Iv ever found so the day was already looking good, tossed the magnet out a few times along the river and got nails and random trash and was about to give up but then a couple of friends showed up and just hung out there so I kept on tossing. About the 20th toss I pulled this in and thought it was a toy at first but it's a 380 pistol in great shape, there are just pretty deep Nicks and scratches in the metal wherever there is a corner in the gun, like around the hammer. The gun appears to be stainless with plastic grips so not sure why it stuck to the magnet but it did. There was no magazine and no bullets in it, I gave it to my dad and he turned it in to the authorities because we figured the gun was used in a crime then tossed into the Ohio river. Thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2921895539.jpg 
Views:	10467 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	695834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-890191122.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	695835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3013392954.jpg 
Views:	2648 
Size:	478.8 KB 
ID:	695836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-354536565.jpg 
Views:	1202 
Size:	515.7 KB 
ID:	695837  

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    5986 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    You did the right thing!

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    4645 times
    no reason for it to be in the river. probably used in a crime. would be nice to keep, but best to turn over to the cops

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1368 times
    wow what a find, that thing is in some shape for being in a river. Could have also been tossed in the river by a POed wife.
    ZDD
    Living the dream

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT, AT Pro
    281 times
    I would tell the cops that I wanted it back if its cleared of any crime

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5313 times
    Prospecting
    Now, that is a cool find! Nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Sep 2012
    7 times
    Nice find!

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1206 times
    OK....I can't hold it in......The gun is no more evil than a car used in a hit-and-run or a building that person is pushed from. Evil is a trait reserved for us humans. The Bersa is a descent quality, fairly popular handgun. If the police do not tie it to a crime and need it for evidence, or find it to be stolen and need to return it to its owner I would surely want it back ( you certainly did the right thing by taking it to them ). If you are not a gun person sell it just like a piece of jewelry or any other object of value that you may have no interest in keeping. Just hard for me to give $ 250 away. Don't misunderstand me....it is or was yours to do with as you see fit. Just my 2 cents.

PS....bet you would have never guessed I am a gun person.

us
    May 2012
    NE Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
    157 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a Bersa .40 cal that I use for concealed carry. Decent gun for the money. Most likely used in a crime for sure. Doubtful someone "lost" it.

Jul 2012
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TNGUNS
    OK....I can't hold it in......The gun is no more evil than a car used in a hit-and-run or a building that person is pushed from. Evil is a trait reserved for us humans. The Bersa is a descent quality, fairly popular handgun. If the police do not tie it to a crime and need it for evidence, or find it to be stolen and need to return it to its owner I would surely want it back ( you certainly did the right thing by taking it to them ). If you are not a gun person sell it just like a piece of jewelry or any other object of value that you may have no interest in keeping. Just hard for me to give $ 250 away. Don't misunderstand me....it is or was yours to do with as you see fit. Just my 2 cents.

PS....bet you would have never guessed I am a gun person.
    I LOVE guns. Iv grown up around them and shoot allll the time. In one month I turn 18 I'll finally be able to buy that sig sauer AR Iv had my eye on lol

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwestern America
    Garrett Ace 250
    77 times
    Just to show you that there are legit (well at least non-crime related) reasons for guns to wind up in rivers here is a story.

When I was young and impetuous (aprox. 15yo) I destroyed a perfectly good pheasant hunting 12 gauge by turning it into a homemade (hacksawed), pistol-gripped, sawed-off shotgun. I liked it for the fact that it would dang near tear a doorknob off and could kick out a gnarly flame at night! The only thing that gun ever shot was inanimate objects and it was never used in a threatening manner. After crossing the states a few times with it in my duffle I realized what an idiot I was and pitched it in a river.

peace,
    cc

us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    530 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    You are lucky! I was under the impression that stainless did not stick to a magnet! Maybe the barrel was just enough And I agree with TNGUNS, you turned it over way too easily. If you know guns, you know that it has value, and you should have told the law you wanted it back after their investigation. This post is confusing to me, anyone else?

us
    Aug 2012
    Pittsburgh
    12 times
    What kind of magnet do you use?

us
    Oct 2012
    Upstate NY
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by FoundInNC View Post
    You are lucky! I was under the impression that stainless did not stick to a magnet!
    MOST stainless (not all) is not magnetic. However, a "stainless" gun is not made out of stainless, it's just finished with a stainless-look material. ("10 myths about guns" 2012 Gun Digest)
    DD

us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    530 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondplate Dave View Post
    MOST stainless (not all) is not magnetic. However, a "stainless" gun is not made out of stainless, it's just finished with a stainless-look material. ("10 myths about guns" 2012 Gun Digest)
    DD
    Thanks for the clarification!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links