Cufflinks, Coppers, and Cut Spanish Silver!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out both days this weekend with TomPA. Both days were spent at sites that we have pounded hard in the past, but this year's farming activities brought some relics and coins within the range of our detectors. Saturday's hunt was on what we believe was an inn circa 1790 to 1820. My take was 11 buttons, 2 plain cufflinks, a saddle oval "thingy", piece of a small pewter spoon, and 2 broken tombac buttons that both had designs on them.

Sunday's hunt was at site that saw French and Indian War activity in the 1750's and was a travellers stopping place until about 1810 or so. I have been expecting to find a cut piece of Spanish silver at this site since my first visit 6 years ago. Yesterday, I had a strong feeling that today was gonna be the day. About an hour into the hunt I got a nice tone with a 70 readout on the F75. Soon I had a clump of dirt in my hand and could see a silvery triangle shape peeking out thru the dirt. After so many coppers at this site, I finally had a piece of Spansh!! Other notable finds were a KG II copper, a half cent that looks to be 1807, and a running fox "Tallio" cufflink that matches one I found at this site on my first visit 6 years ago.

The Spanish silver was my 8th this year, 16th cut piece, and 53rd Spanish silver overall. This has been my best year ever for Spanish silvers.

Attachments

• 11-3 & 4-12 All.jpg
    11-3 & 4-12 All.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Coppers.jpg
    Coppers.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Cut Silver.jpg
    Cut Silver.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Cufflinks.jpg
    Cufflinks.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Tallio.jpg
    Tallio.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 217
  • HalfCent -dirt.jpg
    HalfCent -dirt.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 172
  • KG II -dirt.jpg
    KG II -dirt.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Big Button - dirt.jpg
    Big Button - dirt.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 177
  • Big Button - front.jpg
    Big Button - front.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Big Button - back.jpg
    Big Button - back.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 12

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there might even be a third version of the spelling.

I have a complete link I found many years ago but would have to dig it out to see which it is.
I could'nt find a exact meaning for the word TALIO, I would ashume that it is some darivative of TALLYHO, your version will be interesting, hope you can find it.

SS

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Great finds!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o bit of a pistereen! :censored: nice ! Great hunt and digs Steve . Those runnin' fox cufflinks show up here in Cape May Co. , I have one TAlIO and a Tally HO and a TO HO , :icon_scratch: two HO's and one O ... is the TO HO the mystery missing link :dontknow: DAWG

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture from the book, "History written with pick and shovel" and of the ones I've found...they are rev war period...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 137
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture from the book, "History written with pick and shovel" and of the ones I've found...they are rev war period...

That is a nice pair you found Patriot! I have heard others say these turn up with Rev War buttons. I believe they were probably popular until at least 1800.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o bit of a pistereen! :censored: nice ! Great hunt and digs Steve . Those runnin' fox cufflinks show up here in Cape May Co. , I have one TAlIO and a Tally HO and a TO HO , :icon_scratch: two HO's and one O ... is the TO HO the mystery missing link :dontknow: DAWG

Hey Dawg, it is actually a bit from a Pillar style 8 reale. Lets see pictures of your fox links.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some more info on the Running Fox buttons, in Tice's "Dating Buttons" book he shows an example displaying TALLYO, in his description paragraph he dates it late 1700s(most likely 1790 era) with a manufacture of Nottingham, England.

I have noticed that is sometimes hard to distinguish between a TALLIO and a TALLYO, due wear and condition of the ground found ones, still not 100% positive my one set is TALLYO and the other set is TALLIO.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dawg, it is actually a bit from a Pillar style 8 reale. Lets see pictures of your fox links.
Hey Steve , I am working till the AM in this stuff .. ok , I'll get some pics

11-7-12 Nor'easter.JPG HO s.JPG TO HO strange .. it looks like a walking fox , K9 , or wolf and a weak example of a TALLY HO on right .. tried to get a better shots of the others but ran out of day light .. :p hurricanes , snow storms , what's next :icon_scratch:

locusts

Last edited:

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering if TALIO was derived from the word TALLY HO, the cry of the Fox hunting fraternity...Tally-ho" had its first recorded use in the Americas in a 1802 hunting journal. From there, its use spread as more British colonists arrived. However, the phrase fell out of favour following the conclusion of the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783).

SS

Oh! I have the other one of your tally ho cufflink! Its actually a deer or a fox in a hunt right? It was probably already answered but I was so excited to share!

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That makes sense to me SS. Do you guys find these running fox cufflinks over there? If so, do you find both versions of the spelling - Tallio (like mine) and Tallyo (like Don's)?

Guess I'll chime in on this spelling bee too. I found a "TALLIO" button last year at a late 1700s site. I have never heard of it being spelled the way Don's was. Here's a couple pics of my button although it wasn't in the best of shape.

031512c.JPG

031512d.JPG

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I'll chime in on this spelling bee too. I found a "TALLIO" button last year at a late 1700s site. I have never heard of it being spelled the way Don's was. Here's a couple pics of my button although it wasn't in the best of shape.

View attachment 697116

View attachment 697117

Bill, yours is the only round one I've seen. Sprouse's book on excavated Colonial and Rev War artifacts has an oval one on page 129/130. She describes it as "a pair of brass cufflinks showing the popular design of a running fox and the words TALLY HO". I can't really tell from her picture if is TALLY HO or TALLIO.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are having a great year, Steve. I am amazed at all of the relics still in the ground in Western PA. The cufflinks are cool and the cut piece is freak-style! Passion Pumped!

Kirk

Jaichim24

Jul 28, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
115_3340.JPG 115_3348.JPG Here are front and back pics of a cuff link I found this past week end. Prior to reading this post, I thought it was a deer jumping over a log. Now, based on the pictures provided it is most likely a Fox. I thought that where the tail should be was a crack in the patina, but it is most likely the Fox's tail. No Talio on mine though.

Has anyone found one like mine listed anywhere?

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this a very old post i am digging up . This post came up while I was researching the late 18th early 19th century linked cuff buttons I recently found .A very interesting and informative post . No tallio on this linked button which I have yet to find an exact match in my research .I thought I would add my example to future reasearchers . With the curved or bobed tail I assume mine is illistrating a Fox hound on the chase . M.R.

Attachments

• IMG_0340-001.JPG
    IMG_0340-001.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0339-001.JPG
    IMG_0339-001.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 93

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SILVER AND SHERDS AND BUTTONS OF ALL KINDS , AND AN OLE GEORGE BOY AND CUFF LINKS BOY STEVE I BET YOU WERE SURPRISED.......

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome bunch of finds

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this a very old post i am digging up . This post came up while I was researching the late 18th early 19th century linked cuff buttons I recently found .A very interesting and informative post . No tallio on this linked button which I have yet to find an exact match in my research .I thought I would add my example to future reasearchers . With the curved or bobed tail I assume mine is illistrating a Fox hound on the chase . M.R.
That is a nice example. I haven't seen that pattern before. The tail makes it a little difficult to ID the animal, but I don't know if atanomical accuracy was on the minds of those 18th century die engravers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread