Cufflinks, Coppers, and Cut Spanish Silver!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out both days this weekend with TomPA. Both days were spent at sites that we have pounded hard in the past, but this year's farming activities brought some relics and coins within the range of our detectors. Saturday's hunt was on what we believe was an inn circa 1790 to 1820. My take was 11 buttons, 2 plain cufflinks, a saddle oval "thingy", piece of a small pewter spoon, and 2 broken tombac buttons that both had designs on them.

Sunday's hunt was at site that saw French and Indian War activity in the 1750's and was a travellers stopping place until about 1810 or so. I have been expecting to find a cut piece of Spanish silver at this site since my first visit 6 years ago. Yesterday, I had a strong feeling that today was gonna be the day. About an hour into the hunt I got a nice tone with a 70 readout on the F75. Soon I had a clump of dirt in my hand and could see a silvery triangle shape peeking out thru the dirt. After so many coppers at this site, I finally had a piece of Spansh!! Other notable finds were a KG II copper, a half cent that looks to be 1807, and a running fox "Tallio" cufflink that matches one I found at this site on my first visit 6 years ago.

The Spanish silver was my 8th this year, 16th cut piece, and 53rd Spanish silver overall. This has been my best year ever for Spanish silvers.

Attachments

• 11-3 & 4-12 All.jpg
    11-3 & 4-12 All.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Coppers.jpg
    Coppers.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Cut Silver.jpg
    Cut Silver.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Cufflinks.jpg
    Cufflinks.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Tallio.jpg
    Tallio.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 217
  • Big Button - back.jpg
    Big Button - back.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Big Button - front.jpg
    Big Button - front.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Big Button - dirt.jpg
    Big Button - dirt.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 177
  • KG II -dirt.jpg
    KG II -dirt.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 176
  • HalfCent -dirt.jpg
    HalfCent -dirt.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 12

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detail shows nice on that cut Silver.:headbang: Nice insitu pictures.:icon_thumleft:

SS

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice pieces of early American History! Nice finds, I love the coppers, and that spanish has a story behind it :)

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Cut Spanish Silver is high on my "want to find" list. For any one to say this makes #16 is...........:notworthy: Also, I am really liking the "Tallio" cuff link!! Awsome to have a pair now!

VPR

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut Spanish Silver is high on my "want to find" list. For any one to say this makes #16 is...........:notworthy: Also, I am really liking the "Tallio" cuff link!! Awsome to have a pair now!

VPR

VPR, cut Spanish silver seems to be very hard to find in eastern PA, New Jersey, and New England. It is quite common in some southern states notably Georgia, the Carolinas, and especially Virginia. Southwestern Pennsylvania had a strong Virginia influence during colonial days, from troops sent here during the French and Indian War, to the fact that Virginia claimed the southwestern corner of PA and even issued land grants in the 1770s to the end of the Revolution. This is why I think I have been able to find so many cut pieces around here.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt Steve!! Those "Oval saddle thingys" still remain a mystery. Very nice cut silver Bud. WTG, Quindy.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy being out, hunting, finding, even plain old, new, clad. :)

But these kind of finds are what I REALLY enjoy the most! You can have all the clad and modern stuff, just give me a couple really old coins and I'll be a perfectly happy camper.

Nice finds. Indeed!

HH!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayda keep tearing it up Steve!! You're really on a roll, and are ahead of the pace to get to that magic #100. I love those slender but thick pie shaped pieces. I'm sure that was from an 8 reale. I've only dug one like that, and it's one of my favorites. I was going to say I hope you keep it up at the upcoming DIV but I didn't see your name on the participant list. So I guess while I'm digging up ratty eagle buttons you'll be plunking out more colonial silver. Keep it up ..... Bill

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
VPR, cut Spanish silver seems to be very hard to find in eastern PA, New Jersey, and New England. It is quite common in some southern states notably Georgia, the Carolinas, and especially Virginia. Southwestern Pennsylvania had a strong Virginia influence during colonial days, from troops sent here during the French and Indian War, to the fact that Virginia claimed the southwestern corner of PA and even issued land grants in the 1770s to the end of the Revolution. This is why I think I have been able to find so many cut pieces around here.

I have about 30 years of metal detecting left to do so who knows maybe I can dig a few myself. I cant complain about what the Vermont soil has given me.

Here is to 16 more!!

VPR

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayda keep tearing it up Steve!! You're really on a roll, and are ahead of the pace to get to that magic #100. I love those slender but thick pie shaped pieces. I'm sure that was from an 8 reale. I've only dug one like that, and it's one of my favorites. I was going to say I hope you keep it up at the upcoming DIV but I didn't see your name on the participant list. So I guess while I'm digging up ratty eagle buttons you'll be plunking out more colonial silver. Keep it up ..... Bill

Thanks for the comments Bill. It is a "bit" strange that you have dug so many more cut pieces than me, but only one of yours was from an 8 reale. I now have 7 pieces that were cut from 8 reales. I believe that cut 8 reales may have been used to pay troops in my area during the French & Indian War. All of mine have come from sites that saw activity during the F & I War.

Yes, I did not sign up for this DIV. Money and vacation time are short at the moment. I hope to be there for the spring hunt.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great group of finds Steve, sure cannot complain how this year is going for finds! I think if I ever find a cut piece of silver I will have to think one of them there Western PA boys must have paid a visit to the Jersey Shore. :)

I looked at your TALLIO cufflink closely and does appear to say that, my pair says TALLYO, I wonder why there are two spellings:dontknow:

Two years ago it seemed I found cufflinks about every other hunt, seems like feast or famine on them, good to see you get a few on one hunt. Hopefully I will get out hunting regular again beginning next year.

Don

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great finds Steve. Nice thick cut piece. Most of mine are from 1 reales. Keep it up.
-Evan

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt Steve, lot's of cool stuff. You have some very good spot up that way, just keep digging. HH

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if TALIO was derived from the word TALLY HO, the cry of the Fox hunting fraternity...Tally-ho" had its first recorded use in the Americas in a 1802 hunting journal. From there, its use spread as more British colonists arrived. However, the phrase fell out of favour following the conclusion of the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783).

SS

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if TALIO was derived from the word TALLY HO, the cry of the Fox hunting fraternity...Tally-ho" had its first recorded use in the Americas in a 1802 hunting journal. From there, its use spread as more British colonists arrived. However, the phrase fell out of favour following the conclusion of the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783).

SS

That makes sense to me SS. Do you guys find these running fox cufflinks over there? If so, do you find both versions of the spelling - Tallio (like mine) and Tallyo (like Don's)?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense to me SS. Do you guys find these running fox cufflinks over there? If so, do you find both versions of the spelling - Tallio (like mine) and Tallyo (like Don's)?
I must admit Steve, it was Dons post that brought it to my attention, and I hadn't seen one before the one you posted, hunting themes are very popular on all types of buttons. I will check about to see if any are recorded on the UKFD.

Updated... didn't take long, first page in and your cuff button turns up with the same TALLIO, but no reference to it being dirived from TALLYHO :dontknow: but the dates do fit. http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=37208&cat=203

SS

Last edited:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds. I'm still looking for a "Real" spanish coin. Way to go on finding 16 so far. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit Steve, it was Dons post that brought it to my attention, and I hadn't seen one before the one you posted, hunting themes are very popular on all types of buttons. I will check about to see if any are recorded on the UKFD.

Updated... didn't take long, first page in and your cuff button turns up with the same TALLIO, but no reference to it being dirived from TALLYHO :dontknow: but the dates do fit. UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

SS

I think there might even be a third version of the spelling.

I have a complete link I found many years ago but would have to dig it out to see which it is.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job steve!! U hav to luv it wen u get those feelins CONGRATS.. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions