I Got the Two Reales Back Today!! (with a Bonus!) plus, Todays Finds......

Rowdy Yates

Nov 15, 2006
Coulterville, California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I Got the Two Reales Back Today!! (with a Bonus!) plus, Today's Finds......

I found two 2-Reales coins (1822 and 1814) last week at a site I've just started to detect. See This Post in case you missed out.

I gave the 2 coins and the Phoenix button back to the landowner. Today, I met up with him and he gave them back to me. He said that he enjoyed them very much and that, since I found them, I should have them.

Then he gave me a key to the lock on the gate leading into the property!!! :D

It pays to be open and honest..... Now I have "Carte Blanche" to the site, I can go there anytime I want, and all he wants is to be informed of the finds!!!

Well, the site is a little over 2-acres, half of which has been filled with imported soils over the years, virtually untouched..... never been plowed, very little trash... I probably pulled three pulltabs and a bottlecap out today during 2 hours of hunting...... Here are some of my finds today:

A 1946s and 1947s wheatie, another ball button, a Henry's double-rimfire cartridge shell marked "H", some plated lead religious ornaments, a cap and ball slug, a button marked "RICH OF EBLE LONDON", and another glass trade bead I eyeballed again:

image.jpg

A close up of the button:

image.jpg

Oh yeah, I found one of these today, too. I've found a few in the past... small, s-shaped hook thingies with stamped floral decorations.... Anybody know what these are??:

image.jpg

Rick

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: I Got the Two Reales Back Today!! (with a Bonus!) plus, Today's Finds......

Great story!!! 8)

T

TreasureTales

EXCELLENT -- WAY TO GO -- CONGRATULATIONS -- A WIN-WIN ARRANGEMENT

Here's hoping you continue to find great things. I commend you for your honesty. Some guys want to sneak into a place and hunt with headlights and keep everything hush-hush. You, on the other hand, do everything the 'right' way and you reap the rewards BIG TIME!!!!
Really, truly, the best way to get a good reputation and possibly more places to hunt as a result. :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

very nice! good luck with the new hunting grounds!

D

dugupfinds

Honesty pays everytime. I wouldn't have the 3500 acres that I roam now if I had been dishonest. I always agree a 50/50 split on Treasure Trove items but in practice I keep 90% of my finds & the farmers that are interested get a seconds collection. (Each farmer sees everything I find)

Keep up the good work, in the UK its difficult to shake the night hawking image, so every little counts.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on getting the key to the property! Just goes to show, that not all people are greedy....good story, thanks for sharing. HH / NS ;D

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex

I'm really pleased to hear that you got to keep the finds after all. So often we hear about the exact opposite- the land owner agrees to split up the finds, then takes everything in a sudden change of heart.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice finds,

Honesty goes a long way. You are a very non greedy individual. It will all come back to you if you live that way. I've found alot of those hook type things also. I thought they were some kind of suspender strap.

HH Jer

mobrigade

Feb 23, 2005
Missouri

I have total permission where I hunt...sometimes, I hunt at night because it is sooo peaceful (landowners know it). Some of my most memorable hunts have been with a full moon light:-)

D

doyboy

I don't understand the reason behind asking permission for a site, if all you are going to do is give back the coins. Shawn never wanted Blitz's 1891-O Morgan back. Have fun, buddy boy!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Great story, honest does indeed pay off. I have access to a few old areas from being honest. It is great. You really need to hit that farm. I bet you have only skimmed the surface of what waits to be found there. Great job on getting permission and being honest.

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000

What a refreshing story. I commend you, Rowdy.
Ron

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet...glad to hear that you got the reales back!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread