Colonial church site produces ring but is it old? Paste stones?

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This wasn't found today sorry but I just rediscovered it in a paper towel that held a whole days finds of a colonial church site in 2004.

My detecting partner got a lead from a farmer who said a church sat in his sandy field in Delaware so of course we had to check it out. We thought it was a bogus lead because the church STILL stands today at the other end of the road and is an historical landmark. The farmer said the church originally sat in his field but was moved in the late 1700s to its present site regardless of what the history books said- I cant tell you why he was steadfast in this belief unless it was something his family always knew? (Don't know about you folks but most leads I get like this are just not true) Anyway it was a site and a virgin site at that. It produced dozens of buttons and buckle pieces and relics as well as British halfpennies and this fantastic cut Spanish coin. One of the finds was this ring which I quickly stuffed in my pocket and disregarded as being a cracker jack prize or equivalent. But now after rediscovering it and brushing it with a tooth brush, those gems in the eyes and the mouth are made of the old paste jewelry and I am now wondering if this ring may well be EXTREMELY old. There are no markings at all and it is definitely gold plated. WE FOUND NOTHING NEW AT THIS SITE WHATSOEVER. I just hope its as old as I am now thinking it is!

Any ides???? HH, Gary

Attachments

• piece.jpg
    piece.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 559
  • piecer.jpg
    piecer.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 552
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 559
  • ringr.jpg
    ringr.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 556
  • rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 560
  • ringt.jpg
    ringt.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
perhaps the answer lies in the gold plating. when did the technology necessary to gold plate something come into existence?...........nice stuff by the way! ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since before christ was born if you so beleive

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hollowpointred said:
perhaps the answer lies in the gold plating. when did the technology necessary to gold plate something come into existence?...........nice stuff by the way! ;)

I am not sure but I believe it has been around since ancient times...contemporary theives use to fake roman gold and silver coins from lead etc and plate them.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe that plating has been around or believe that Christ is the only son of God and by him I'm saved from my sins. Both (Guess we know what Ramapirate is now ;))

HH,
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cut Spanish is awesome, finds like that almost talk to you. That's making change the hard way.

HH,
Ramapirate

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
You have a great site there. Hit it very hard and methodically. That ring looks old and the stones look like lead from what your picture shows. Keep us posted on what you find out. Try posting it on the whatsit forum too.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Love the clipped reale.

HH Jer

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and Great Story, If I were you, I'd hit that site again and again. I'd also give something back to the farmer whose place you are hunting. A little PR goes along way!.

The silver piece you found is a 2 bit piece. You have heard the old fight song, 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits a dollar, well you have a 2 bit piece. Actually the first Quarter!

HH, Ringfinder

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Great finds! What do you know about the coin? It's 17--...maybe you can find out how long such a coin was being made. Very nice! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread