Dug a 2 piece Navy button today but is it CW period or later?

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting a mid 1700's home site yesterday and dug several buttons including this two piece Navy button with a Scovill backmark. I cleaned it with aluminum jelly and it came out great with a little gilt still shining through. I've researched this button style and can't figure out if this button is from the Civil War or just after. Can anyone help with a positive ID and date?

Attachments

• P1000959.JPG
    P1000959.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 157
  • P1000958.JPG
    P1000958.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find ken, it has the later backmark used from the 1880s throughout the 20th century including world war ii. A navy button is on my wants list!

66Fairlane

Jul 29, 2012
screwynewy said:
I was hunting a mid 1700's home site yesterday and dug several buttons including this two piece Navy button with a Scovill backmark. I cleaned it with aluminum jelly and it came out great with a little gilt still shining through. I've researched this button style and can't figure out if this button is from the Civil War or just after. Can anyone help with a positive ID and date?

I would have to respectfully disagree that the button isn't CW era. Check out http://relicman.com/buttons/zBackmarkScovillMfg.htm and look just past the half way point on the page. Look for number B4805. It states:

ScovillM350, (23mm).
Backmark: "SCOVILL MF'G CO. / (star) WATERBURY (star) " dm between two solid rings, ca 1860, (ScovillM350).
Tice page 71, item count 25 [B6-20].

Notice it says ca. 1860.

Looking at the pictures I copied from the site, yours looks like an exact match.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image-4211854959.jpg
    image-4211854959.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image-365549244.jpg
    image-365549244.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 126

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet lookin button watever period its from.. HH

66Fairlane

Jul 29, 2012
screwynewy said:

Also check B5983 on the same page I quoted earlier. I think your eagle matches it a little better. Timeframe for that type is 1860-1865.

Which ever style you think it may be, it is def. CW era! Great find!

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys for the input and information about the button. I'm pretty happy with it regardless of its age but something about the possibility of it being from the CW makes it a little more interesting.

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also check B5983 on the same page I quoted earlier. I think your eagle matches it a little better. Timeframe for that type is 1860-1865.
Which ever style you think it may be, it is def. CW era! Great find!

The civil war era one had an inner and outer ring, notice his has neither. I am no button pro, but I remember running into this problem with the exact same button on a different thread. I will see if I can pull it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an old thread with some good discussion about Navy buttons. Most of it does not apply to the button that I dug but from what I can tell there are a couple of buttons posted by bigcypresshunter near the end of the thread that look a lot like mine and he seems sure that it is a CW period button. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...0-1865-civil-war-era-us-navy-cuff-button.html. Regardless, it doesn't much matter to me either way.

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button but I'd say post war. The most telling factor being that the fluke of the anchor is in front of the wing instead of being tucked behind like the one posted from the relicman site. The backmark is different too as well as the whole relief of the die it was stamped from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread